|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower think of the Napoleonic War?
(a) It is too bad that the Russians don't trounce Napoleon and his army.
(b) He thinks it is over before the end of the year.
(c) He is sick of it and wishes it is over.
(d) He wishes the Americans join in.
2. What is one of the last things LeBrun does before he is captured?
(a) Acts on the dispatches from Paris.
(b) Calculates the losses from this year's failed trading missions.
(c) Spends the night with his mistress.
(d) Plots with Baron Momas to capture the English ships.
3. What is Hornblower ordered to do with the ship His Majesty's Flame?
(a) Suppress the mutiny onboard and gain control of the ship.
(b) Negotiate with the French who capture the ship.
(c) Deliver secret orders to the current captain.
(d) Take command and go on a covert mission.
4. What happens as the Porta Coeli sights the Flame?
(a) Hornblower gives orders to fire.
(b) The Flame sends a boat over to negotiate.
(c) The Flame raises sails to meet them.
(d) Another ship appears.
5. Who is among the reinforcements that Admiral Pellew sends?
(a) Lieutenant Chadwick.
(b) Admiral Pellew.
(c) Captain Bush.
(d) An American spy.
6. What does Hornblower plan to do with the Porta Coeli, after he comes back from meeting with the mutineers?
(a) Sail back to report his failure.
(b) Ram the Flame as soon as he gets the men ready.
(c) Have the Porta Coeli masquerade as the Flame and capture the French East Indian ship.
(d) Sail into Le Havre on a flag of truce to negotiate with the French.
7. What is unique about Lord St. Vincent's instructions to Hornblower?
(a) Hornblower is given carte blanche to deal with the mutineers as necessary.
(b) Hornblower is told to administer justice by finding Lieutenant Chadwick guilty of insubordination.
(c) Hornblower is told to destroy the ship immediately.
(d) Hornblower is essentially given a blank cheque for ransom purposes.
8. What is Hornblower afraid of happening on the Flame?
(a) The crew set fire to the Flame.
(b) The crew hang Lieutenant Chadwick.
(c) The crew surrenders to the French.
(d) The crew delibrately sink the ship.
9. How does Lieutenant Freeman determine the ship's location in the dark?
(a) He dredges up a soil sample from the bottom of the sea.
(b) He calculates their position using the stars.
(c) He sends a seaman out in a tethered longboat.
(d) He asks Hornblower.
10. How does Hornblower know Admiral Pellew?
(a) He serves with him on the Indefatigable.
(b) He is a schoolmate.
(c) He is an old family friend.
(d) He is a neighbor.
11. What is typical of a crew's share of the prize money from a captured enemy ship?
(a) As much as a hundred pounds, depending on the type of ship.
(b) As much as the captain considered fair; it is captain's discretion.
(c) About ten pounds, depending on the type of ship.
(d) Choice of one item from the captured ship, in order of seniority
12. Who is the captain of His Majesty's Flame?
(a) Captain Horatio Hornblower.
(b) Lieutenant Chadwick.
(c) Captain Bush.
(d) Lieutenant Freeman.
13. How does Hornblower know Lieutenant Augustine Chadwick?
(a) Their families have neighboring estates.
(b) Lieutenant Chadwick's wife is Hornblower's first cousin.
(c) They serve as midshipmen together on the same ship.
(d) They are schoolmates.
14. Just before he meets the Flame's crew, what is Hornblower's plan? What is he going to do with the Flame's crew?
(a) Hornblower has no concrete plans.
(b) Hornblower plans to have Lieutenant Chadwick arrested to appease the crew.
(c) Hornblower plans to order the Porta Coeli to fire and sink the ship.
(d) Hornblower plans to send Lieutenant Freeman aboard to reason with them.
15. Why is Hornblower talking to Lebrun in chapter eight?
(a) Hornblower personally interviews every prisoner.
(b) Lieutenant Freeman suggests it.
(c) Lebrun is the prisoner's delegate.
(d) Lebrun insists on the meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hornblower remember Lieutenant Augustine Chadwick?
2. Why is it better to be a Captain than a Lieutenant?
3. What other honor is Hornblower awarded?
4. What does Hornblower suffer from that he finds embarrassing?
5. What happens if a ship like Porta Coeli captures an enemy ship?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)