|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hornblower remember Lieutenant Augustine Chadwick?
(a) Chadwick is a genius and has a way with numbers and calculations.
(b) Chadwick is a bully and a tyrant.
(c) Chadwick is a poor sailor, always seasick.
(d) Chadwick is a bit of a buffoon, but generally harmless.
2. What does Hornblower do with Lieutenant Chadwick?
(a) Puts him in the brig with the rest of the mutineers.
(b) Tries and finds him guilty of murder.
(c) Lectures him and then puts him back on active duty.
(d) Sends him back to the Admiral Pellew with dispatches.
3. What does the crew of the Flame want?
(a) A commendation for their Captain for services above and beyond.
(b) A full pardon and a trial for Lieutenant Chadwick.
(c) Shore leave as they are on the ship for over a year.
(d) A fair share of the prize money taken by their sister ship, the Porta Coeli.
4. Who meets Hornblower and identifies himself as Captain of the Flame?
(a) Nathaniel Sweet.
(b) A midshipman.
(c) Lieutenant Chadwick.
(d) No one meets Hornblower.
5. How does Hornblower know the captain of the Porta Coeli?
(a) He serves under Hornblower.
(b) Their wives are friends.
(c) They do not know each other.
(d) They are schoolmates.
6. Where is Hornblower at the beginning of the book?
(a) Aboard His Majesty's Flame.
(b) At his home in Bath.
(c) Escorting his wife on a shopping expedition.
(d) At Westminster Abbey.
7. What does Hornblower think of Captain Bush?
(a) He is young and naïve and needs a guiding hand.
(b) He is solid and dependable, but doesn't have much imagination.
(c) He is a great officer, but now is too old for active duty.
(d) He is sly and devious and not to be trusted.
8. What is Hornblower afraid of happening on the Flame?
(a) The crew surrenders to the French.
(b) The crew delibrately sink the ship.
(c) The crew hang Lieutenant Chadwick.
(d) The crew set fire to the Flame.
9. How does Hornblower bathe while on board ship?
(a) He has a bucket of sea water dumped over his head.
(b) He has the crew hose him down with the wash-deck pump.
(c) He doesn't bathe.
(d) He takes a daily swim instead of bathing.
10. What else does Lebrun want for helping Hornblower?
(a) An import license for colonial goods.
(b) Money and a safe passage to America.
(c) An introduction to the Prince Regent.
(d) Hornblower's word of honor that the English don't know who sets up the deal.
11. What type of ship is the Flame?
(a) Eighteen-gun brig.
(b) East Indian merchant ship.
(c) A French gunboat.
(d) Twenty-four gun brig.
12. What does Lord St. Vincent tell Hornblower?
(a) Napoleon is on the move with his army.
(b) Hornblower has to stay on land for another month.
(c) Mutineers sends a letter to the Admiralty making demands.
(d) His best friend dies.
13. How does the Porta Coeli crew react to Hornblower's news about the mutiny on the Flame?
(a) They go on strike.
(b) They are horrified and start complaining.
(c) They seem to support Hornblower.
(d) They start to plan their own mutiny.
14. What else does Admiral Pellow send as reinforcements?
(a) A battalion of soldiers who need transport to France.
(b) Three hundred marines.
(c) 10 cannons.
(d) Sixty cavalry.
15. Who promises the mutineers immunity and a pension for every man from the age of sixty?
(a) Marie Therese, Empress, Queen and Regent.
(c) The Admiralty.
(d) The citizens of Le Havre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nathaniel Sweet show Hornblower that surprises him?
2. What is Horatio Hornblower's rank?
3. How does Lieutenant Freeman determine the ship's location in the dark?
4. What does Hornblower do with the Flame's mutinous crew?
5. Why does the French react the way they do when the Flame sails into Le Havre?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)