|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 and 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the French gunboat that Hornblower boards in the fight at Le Havre?
(a) Bonne Celestine.
(d) Bonne Chance.
2. When does Hornblower learn long splicing?
(a) Just recently while he is convalescing.
(b) As a midshipmen.
(c) He never learns.
(d) Before he boards his first ship.
3. What is the first thing Hornblower does when he returns from the Flame to the Porta Coeli?
(a) He orders Brown to make him tea.
(b) He orders Freeman to fire on the Flame.
(c) He writes a report to the Admiralty.
(d) He orders the sailmaker to make four top sails.
4. What happens after Hornblower captures the French gunboat in the battle at Le Havre?
(a) He goes back to the Porta Coeli.
(b) He stays on the French gunboat and waits to see what happens.
(c) He leads his men over to the Flame.
(d) He trips over a loose board and drops his sword.
5. What does Hornblower plan to do with the Duke d'Angoulême?
(a) Denounce him as a secret Bonapartist.
(b) Have him sent back to England.
(c) Work with him because he is royalty.
(d) Have him discredited with the citizens of Le Havre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Flame do when they sail close to Le Havre?
2. What is the news from the war front (March 1814)?
3. Why is Hornblower's assignment regarding the Flame particularly difficult?
4. How is it possible that Hornblower's plan with the the Porta Coeli masquerade to work?
5. Why is Hornblower not happy and is awkward with his wife when she visits him at Le Havre?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)