|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the French do when the Flame starts sailing to shore?
(a) Send gun boats.
(b) Send a welcoming committee of dignitaries.
(c) Fire the citadel's batteries.
(d) Ignore the ship.
2. What news does Hornblower receive from one of the prisoners from the French East Indian ship?
(a) There is an outbreak of dysentery at Le Havre.
(b) Bonaparte loses another major battle at Leipzig.
(c) Le Havre plans to attack both the English ships.
(d) The Mayor of Le Havre recently dies.
3. How does the Porta Coeli crew feel about Hornblower?
(a) They are in awe of him.
(b) They have no idea who he is.
(c) They think he's too full of himself.
(d) They all hate him.
4. What does Hornblower speculate happens on the Flame as it starts to sail to shore?
(a) The crew is suffering from food poisoning, thanks to the tainted ale Hornblower sends over.
(b) Nathaniel Sweet is telling the crew about what happens last night.
(c) There is probably dissension on board with different groups wanting to do different things.
(d) The mutineers are united in their purpose.
5. What is typical of a crew's share of the prize money from a captured enemy ship?
(a) As much as the captain considered fair; it is captain's discretion.
(b) Choice of one item from the captured ship, in order of seniority
(c) About ten pounds, depending on the type of ship.
(d) As much as a hundred pounds, depending on the type of ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Hornblower and identifies himself as Captain of the Flame?
2. What happens as the Porta Coeli sights the Flame?
3. Who is Horatio Hornblower married to?
4. What type of ship is a French West Indiaman?
5. What do the sailors think of Hornblower's daily ritual?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)