|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Horatio Hornblower married to?
(a) Barbara, the Duke of Wellington's sister.
(b) Maria, his childhood sweetheart.
(c) Charlotte, a neighbor.
(d) Jane, a sister of one of Hornblower's shipmates.
2. When does Hornblower learn long splicing?
(a) Before he boards his first ship.
(b) As a midshipmen.
(c) Just recently while he is convalescing.
(d) He never learns.
3. What does Hornblower speculate happens on the Flame as it starts to sail to shore?
(a) Nathaniel Sweet is telling the crew about what happens last night.
(b) The mutineers are united in their purpose.
(c) The crew is suffering from food poisoning, thanks to the tainted ale Hornblower sends over.
(d) There is probably dissension on board with different groups wanting to do different things.
4. What is Horatio Hornblower's rank?
5. How does Hornblower bathe while on board ship?
(a) He doesn't bathe.
(b) He has the crew hose him down with the wash-deck pump.
(c) He takes a daily swim instead of bathing.
(d) He has a bucket of sea water dumped over his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens if a ship like Porta Coeli captures an enemy ship?
2. What does the success of Hornblower's plan the Porta Coeli masquerade mean?
3. What else does Hornblower do to make his plan with the Porta Coeli masquerade work?
4. Who teaches Hornblower the technique of long splicing?
5. What does some of the Flame mutineers say to Hornblower after the battle at Le Havre?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)