Chapters 1, 2, and 3
1. At the beginning of the book, Horatio Hornblower is not aboard a ship, why?
(a) He is attending a funeral of a friend at Westminster Abbey.
(b) He is still recuperating from his bout of typhus.
(c) He is recalled to answer charges of insurbordination.
(d) He is waiting for his ship to be repaired.
2. What other honor is Hornblower awarded?
(a) Knight of the Most Honorable Order of the Bath.
(b) A baronetcy and a small property in Yorkshire.
(c) The keys to the city of Bath.
(d) A purse and a personal letter of thanks from the Prince.
3. Where is Hornblower at the beginning of the book?
(a) At Westminster Abbey.
(b) At his home in Bath.
(c) Aboard His Majesty's Flame.
(d) Escorting his wife on a shopping expedition.
4. Who is the Sovereign of the Order?
(a) Prince Regent.
(b) Queen Charlotte.
(c) Duke of Wellington.
(d) King George.
5. Who is Horatio Hornblower married to?
(a) Barbara, the Duke of Wellington's sister.
(b) Maria, his childhood sweetheart.
(c) Charlotte, a neighbor.
(d) Jane, a sister of one of Hornblower's shipmates.
This section contains 6,881 words
(approx. 23 pages at 300 words per page)