Chapters 1, 2, and 3
1. At the beginning of the book, Horatio Hornblower is not aboard a ship, why?
(a) He is recalled to answer charges of insurbordination.
(b) He is still recuperating from his bout of typhus.
(c) He is waiting for his ship to be repaired.
(d) He is attending a funeral of a friend at Westminster Abbey.
2. What other honor is Hornblower awarded?
(a) A purse and a personal letter of thanks from the Prince.
(b) Knight of the Most Honorable Order of the Bath.
(c) A baronetcy and a small property in Yorkshire.
(d) The keys to the city of Bath.
3. Where is Hornblower at the beginning of the book?
(a) Escorting his wife on a shopping expedition.
(b) At his home in Bath.
(c) Aboard His Majesty's Flame.
(d) At Westminster Abbey.
4. Who is the Sovereign of the Order?
(a) Queen Charlotte.
(b) Prince Regent.
(c) Duke of Wellington.
(d) King George.
5. Who is Horatio Hornblower married to?
(a) Jane, a sister of one of Hornblower's shipmates.
(b) Charlotte, a neighbor.
(c) Barbara, the Duke of Wellington's sister.
(d) Maria, his childhood sweetheart.
This section contains 6,881 words
(approx. 23 pages at 300 words per page)