|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dos the piece of paper say that the boy gives to Covenant in Chapter one?
2. What is the initial diagnosis when Joan takes Covenant to the emergency room?
3. What does the doctor tell Covenant about they type of leprosy that he has?
4. What does Atiaran tell Covenant she fears in Chapter eight?
5. In Chapter nine what does Covenant realize that Atiaran did in the night while he was sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Covenant decide to do when he first wakes up in Chapter eight?
2. In Chapter ten, what happens when Covenant grabs the High Wood staff a second time?
3. What happens between Covenant and Lena in Chapter seven?
4. Describe the scene in Chapter nine when Covenant and Atiaran find the second Waymeet.
5. What happens when Covenant and Atiaran reach Woodhelven in Chapter nine?
6. In Chapter nine, when do Covenant and Atiaran leave the first Waymeet?
7. Describe what happens in Chapter five when Covenant tells Lena he needs to have his hands cleaned.
8. What oddity does Covenant notice in regards to his feet while he and Atiaran are traveling after having left Woodhelven in Chapter ten?
9. What does Atiaran explain about the Waymeet in Chapter nine?
10. Describe the conversation that Joan and Covenant had had after it was discovered he had leprosy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) How is laughter used in the story?
2) Why is it that those in the Land seem to be refreshed or given hope in some way when they laugh?
3) Why is it significant that Covenant cannot laugh?
Essay Topic 2
1) Covenant talks about little old ladies that pound away at hunks of granite with little hammers until they turn big pieces into little pieces on page 340. Foamfollower asks if it is a prophecy but Covenant says he doesn't know. If this were a prophecy what do you think it is alluding to?
2) What other statements are found in the story that you feel could be prophecies?
3) What role does prophecy have in the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) What is the purpose of the Code that is spoken of on page 280 that says, "Do not hurt where holding is enough; do not wound where hurting is enough; do not maim where wounding is enough; and kill not where maiming is enough; the greatest warrior is one who does not need to kill?"
2) Is this code kept by those in the Land throughout the book? Explain.
3) What is the difference in this Code and the Vow that the Bloodguard have taken?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)