|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teases Theresa during a wedding reception that he wants to marry her?
2. What does James do to offend Theresa when they begin to make love?
3. What does James decide two days before the New Year?
4. What was Theresa's final prayer?
5. Who does Theresa invite over for dinner after talking with Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Theresa does in the bar when she sees Gary.
2. What decision does Katherine make in January that hurts Theresa deeply? What is the irony of it?
3. Discuss how Theresa feels when she sees Tony waiting for her after school and why she feels that way.
4. Discuss why Theresa asks Gary to leave her apartment.
5. Katherine looks to Theresa as someone to whom she can confess. What does Katherine confess in the November after Theresa moves away from the Bronx?
6. Discuss the first continuing relationship that resulted from one of Theresa's bar pickups.
7. Discuss why and how Theresa tries to end her relationship with James at Christmas.
8. Discuss how the Thanksgiving break changes Katherine.
9. Discuss the first time Theresa misses school.
10. Discuss how Theresa feels about her own career.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in Looking for Mr. Goodbar? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the era in which Looking for Mr. Goodbar is set. Why was this novel controversial for its time? What important social issues does it address?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail the author's inspiration for this novel. Talk about the real life situation that was the basis of the book. How was the author personally involved in the real life incident?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)