|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Theresa and her Wednesday night date go?
2. What does Theresa reach for after asking Gary to leave at the end of the book?
3. What else do Theresa and her family and visitor enjoy along with their snacks?
4. What gift does James give Theresa for Christmas?
5. What lie does Theresa tell James when they arrive at her apartment on Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the first time James and Theresa make love.
2. How does Theresa feel about finding Brooks with another woman and what is her retaliation?
3. Discuss the confrontation between Rose and Theresa.
4. What is Theresa's relationship with Victor?
5. After the incident at the party, what happens that convinces Theresa it is the last time she will see Tony?
6. What decision does Katherine make in January that hurts Theresa deeply? What is the irony of it?
7. Discuss Tony's background and family.
8. Katherine looks to Theresa as someone to whom she can confess. What does Katherine confess in the November after Theresa moves away from the Bronx?
9. Discuss how the Thanksgiving break changes Katherine.
10. Discuss Theresa's Thanksgiving Day depression.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the conflict and the crisis in Looking for Mr. Goodbar. How are the conflict and crisis in the story different and what are there similarities?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the mental impact of Theresa's childhood physical illness on the decisions she made as an adult. How does her childhood illness affect her decisions regarding sex, marriage and family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of loneliness as a motif throughout the novel. How does the author depict loneliness? How do we know Theresa or any of the other characters are lonely?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)