|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is a union strike held?
2. What changes Theresa's mind about her sister's former husband?
3. Which of Theresa's boyfriends is taking care of his mother?
4. Who is Katherine leaving her husband for?
5. Who talks Theresa into moving farther away from her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Theresa's concern about going to his mother's party with Tony? What does he tell her about her concern?
2. Discuss the use of marijuana in Theresa's life when she lives in Manhattan.
3. Discuss Theresa's thoughts on getting her life back together.
4. Discuss James' sexual experiences when he first meets Theresa.
5. What begins to turn Theresa off about Gary and why doesn't she just ask him to leave her apartment then?
6. Katherine looks to Theresa as someone to whom she can confess. What does Katherine confess in the November after Theresa moves away from the Bronx?
7. Discuss the first continuing relationship that resulted from one of Theresa's bar pickups.
8. How does Theresa feel about finding Brooks with another woman and what is her retaliation?
9. Why does Theresa decide to leave the Bronx?
10. Discuss the first time James and Theresa make love.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Theresa's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in Looking for Mr. Goodbar. How did the author present it? How did the rising action flow? How did the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in Looking for Mr. Goodbar? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)