|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Theresa fall asleep after her Wednesday night date?
2. Who is the new man Theresa befriends at the bar she and Katherine walk to?
3. In addition to moving, what other change does Theresa plan to make in the New Year?
4. When does Theresa awaken after her Wednesday night date?
5. What does James decide two days before the New Year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Katherine looks to Theresa as someone to whom she can confess. What does Katherine confess in the November after Theresa moves away from the Bronx?
2. Discuss why and how Theresa tries to end her relationship with James at Christmas.
3. Discuss what Theresa does in the bar when she sees Gary.
4. Discuss the regular dating arrangement Theresa has developed until Victor comes along.
5. Discuss the use of marijuana in Theresa's life when she lives in Manhattan.
6. What is Theresa's concern about going to his mother's party with Tony? What does he tell her about her concern?
7. Discuss Ali's formula for happiness. How does this conflict with his former wife?
8. Discuss the first time James and Theresa make love.
9. Discuss why Theresa asks Gary to leave her apartment.
10. Discuss Theresa's thoughts on getting her life back together.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of James to the story? How might the novel had differed if he had not been introduced?
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of loneliness as a motif throughout the novel. How does the author depict loneliness? How do we know Theresa or any of the other characters are lonely?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)