|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes Theresa's mind about her sister's former husband?
2. Who takes Theresa to meet his mother at a party?
3. How does Theresa spend her time the week after Christmas?
4. How does Katherine plan to solve her problem?
5. Who balks at the idea of marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how Theresa feels about her own career.
2. Discuss what happens at his mother's party that changes Theresa's relationship with Tony.
3. Discuss the first continuing relationship that resulted from one of Theresa's bar pickups.
4. Why does Theresa decide to leave the Bronx?
5. Discuss the first time Theresa misses school.
6. What decision does Katherine make in January that hurts Theresa deeply? What is the irony of it?
7. Discuss the confrontation between Rose and Theresa.
8. What begins to turn Theresa off about Gary and why doesn't she just ask him to leave her apartment then?
9. Discuss Theresa's feelings about marriage.
10. Katherine looks to Theresa as someone to whom she can confess. What does Katherine confess in the November after Theresa moves away from the Bronx?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of loneliness as a motif throughout the novel. How does the author depict loneliness? How do we know Theresa or any of the other characters are lonely?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of James to the story? How might the novel had differed if he had not been introduced?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism in Looking for Mr. Goodbar.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)