|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does Theresa's new male friend say make him happy?
2. Who gets thrown out of the party Theresa and her date attend?
3. Who balks at the idea of marriage?
4. What happens to Theresa at school on the Friday after her Wednesday night date?
5. Why does Theresa change clothes when her Saturday date arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Theresa's concern about going to his mother's party with Tony? What does he tell her about her concern?
2. Discuss Ali's formula for happiness. How does this conflict with his former wife?
3. Discuss Theresa's Thanksgiving Day depression.
4. How does Theresa feel about finding Brooks with another woman and what is her retaliation?
5. Discuss how Theresa feels when she sees Tony waiting for her after school and why she feels that way.
6. How does Theresa deal with James teasing that he wants to marry her?
7. Discuss why and how Theresa tries to end her relationship with James at Christmas.
8. What begins to turn Theresa off about Gary and why doesn't she just ask him to leave her apartment then?
9. Discuss how Theresa feels about her own career.
10. Discuss the first time James and Theresa make love.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of sibling order to this novel. Give a brief overview of young, middle and oldest children in a family and compare to Theresa's family.
Essay Topic 2
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Theresa's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's writing experience and her successes of this book and others.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)