|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Theresa work for nearly two years after graduating college?
2. Where are Theresa and James scheduled to go after Thanksgiving dinner and why?
3. How does Theresa get even with her ex-brother in law?
4. What lie does Theresa tell James when they arrive at her apartment on Christmas?
5. What news does Theresa shock James with when they reach her apartment after leaving Thanksgiving dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Theresa does in the bar when she sees Gary.
2. What decision does Katherine make in January that hurts Theresa deeply? What is the irony of it?
3. Katherine looks to Theresa as someone to whom she can confess. What does Katherine confess in the November after Theresa moves away from the Bronx?
4. What is Theresa's concern about going to his mother's party with Tony? What does he tell her about her concern?
5. Discuss Tony's background and family.
6. How does Theresa feel about finding Brooks with another woman and what is her retaliation?
7. Why does Theresa decide to leave the Bronx?
8. Discuss the first time Theresa misses school.
9. Discuss how Theresa feels when she sees Tony waiting for her after school and why she feels that way.
10. Discuss what happens at his mother's party that changes Theresa's relationship with Tony.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the author's inspiration for this novel. Talk about the real life situation that was the basis of the book. How was the author personally involved in the real life incident?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of foreshadowing in literature. What foreshadowing was present in Looking for Mr. Goodbar? Was the foreshadowing diluted since the murder confession was actually the beginning of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Theresa's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)