|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Theresa's first English assignment?
2. What job does the English professor's wife have?
3. What is the first thing Theresa teases Gary about?
4. What does Katherine tell Theresa was difficult for her?
5. Who gives Gary money to help with his run from the law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the changes in Martin after summer break.
2. Why does Gary tell police he became so angry with Theresa? How does he react when he gets mad at her?
3. Discuss Theresa's relationship with Katherine as a child.
4. What does Theresa threaten when Gary won't leave and how does he react?
5. Where is Gary when he confesses and what is his mindset regarding his murder of Theresa?
6. How does Theresa learn her relationship with Martin will end upon graduation and how does she react to the news?
7. What helps Theresa out of her post-college graduation depression and why?
8. What is Gary's reaction when police ask him about the contents of his jacket?
9. Why does Gary tell police he wanted Theresa to shut up?
10. What, other than a ride, does Gary pick up while hitchhiking. Why is it important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in Looking for Mr. Goodbar? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of loneliness as a motif throughout the novel. How does the author depict loneliness? How do we know Theresa or any of the other characters are lonely?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Theresa. Was she the a major or minor character? Protagonist or antagonist? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)