|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Alaska's boyfriend that appears for their "triple-and-a-half date" in “eighty-seven days before”?
2. When the Eagle catches Miles, Alaska, Chip, and Takumi smoking by the lake in “ninety-nine days before," he tells them to be in Jury tomorrow at what time?
3. Where is Miles about to go to attend boarding school in “one hundred thirty-six days before"?
4. Where does Chip say Alaska is from in “one hundred twenty-seven days before”?
5. What have the Weekday Warriors done to Alaska's dorm room in “seventy-six days before”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alaska tell Miles when she awakens him in the night in "fifty-eight days before"? How does Miles respond?
2. What does Chip reveal to Miles about his girlfriend after their fight in "one hundred twenty-two days before"?
3. What is Alaska's response when Miles asks her how she got the name "Alaska" in "one hundred days before"?
4. What does Alaska come to inform Miles in his dorm room in "eighty-nine days before"?
5. Why are Miles and Alaska kicked out their World Religions class in "one hundred ten days before"? Where do they go?
6. What main characters are introduced when Miles arrives at the boarding school in "one hundred twenty-eight days before"? How are these characters different from Miles?
7. What friend of Chip's does Miles meet in the cafeteria in "one hundred twenty-seven days before"? What does this character discuss with Chip?
8. Why is Chip kicked out of the basketball game in "one hundred nine days before"? What does he tell Miles about his history at the basketball games?
9. What "hazing" incident takes place in "one hundred twenty-seven days before"? What does the hazing consist of?
10. What kinds of quotations does Miles memorize regularly in the novel? Why is this significant to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of cigarettes and smoking in the novel. Why does Alaska say she smokes? How does Miles progress from being a nonsmoker to being a smoker in the narrative? What symbolism is evoked through this motif?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the motif of pranks in Looking for Alaska. What is the history of pranks at the school? What real-life experiences did John Green draw on to develop this motif? How do the pranks in the novel relate to the overall themes of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of philosophy and religion in Looking for Alaska. How do these themes connect to the theme of Miles’s search for meaning? How has the author developed these themes using symbolism, imagery, character development, and plot structure?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)