|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Jury at Culver Creek comprised of?
2. What was the name of Alaska's roommate that was expelled from the school?
3. What do Miles and Alaska drink as they look at the stars in “fifty-two days before”?
4. What does Miles's mother make a "small mountain of" for his going-away party in “one hundred thirty-six days before"?
5. How tall is Miles said to be in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Miles and Alaska discuss when Alaska visits Miles's dorm room in "one hundred twenty-eight days before"?
2. What do Miles, Takumi, Alaska, and Chip get in trouble for in "ninety-nine days before"? How do they respond?
3. What is Alaska's response when Miles asks her how she got the name "Alaska" in "one hundred days before"?
4. What information does Miles learn from Takumi in "sixty-seven days before"?
5. How does Miles compare himself physically to Chip in "one hundred twenty-eight days before"? Where does Chip take Miles after they meet?
6. What does Alaska come to inform Miles in his dorm room in "eighty-nine days before"?
7. Where is Miles treated for his injury in "eighty-seven days before"? What information is related to him at this setting?
8. Where does Miles go after the hazing incident in "one hundred twenty-seven days before"? What responses is he greeted with?
9. What does Alaska tell Miles when she awakens him in the night in "fifty-eight days before"? How does Miles respond?
10. How has the weather changed in "eighty-four days before"? How has this affected Miles's relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship of Chip and Sara in the novel. What facts have been established about Chip’s character from his first introduction? How do Chip’s actions in the novel help to define his character, behavior, and attitudes? How would you describe Chip’s relationship with Sara?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Miles Halter as the protagonist and narrator of Looking for Alaska. What can you discern about Miles’s character based on his use of language? How does Miles describe his own appearance? What kind of relationships does Miles have with his parents? How would you describe Miles’s outlook on life? How does Miles evolve throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of philosophy and religion in Looking for Alaska. How do these themes connect to the theme of Miles’s search for meaning? How has the author developed these themes using symbolism, imagery, character development, and plot structure?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)