|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of routine do Jimmy and Cliff begin in this scene?
2. What do Jimmy and Cliff discuss?
3. What is Alison doing at the beginning of the chapter?
4. What does the Colonel say Jimmy has done despite everything?
5. On what evening does the third act open?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Look Back In Anger make such an impact when it was first released? In what way was it different from other plays released up to that point? In what way did Look Back In Anger revolutionize British theater at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1950's Britain.
1) Why was the issue of class such an important issue at that time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think Britain was going through a transitional phase in the 1950's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1950's Britain?
Essay Topic 3
Using two examples from the play, argue the following statement: "John Osborne's lack of sympathy for the upper and middle classes makes Jimmy Porter into an unlikable and bitter character."
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)