|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last person to know about Allison's pregnancy?
2. Why is Helena not coming back with them?
3. What does Alison give to Helena to give to Jimmy?
4. With what does Helena reenter the stage?
5. What does Jimmy want to quit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Jimmy Porter.
1) How has has his situation changed from that of his father?
2) In what way could Jimmy Porter be seen as trying to hold onto his working class identity?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does Osbourne use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way Osborne uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1950's Britain.
1) Why was the issue of class such an important issue at that time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think Britain was going through a transitional phase in the 1950's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1950's Britain?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)