|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of routine do Jimmy and Cliff begin in this scene?
2. Who plays the butt of the joke?
3. How does the audience know Helena has moved in?
4. Who did Helena sit behind in the cinema?
5. About what does the Colonel say Jimmy has taught Allison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Osborne was a socialist. Using two examples from the novel, discuss the ways the story reflects Osborne's political ideas.
Essay Topic 2
What are Jimmy's gripes with society? Why do you think Jimmy is able to voice his opinion while Cliff, also working class, does not seem to be bothered? In what ways could Jimmy's ability to express his views point to a positive change in society at that time?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Jimmy Porter.
1) How has has his situation changed from that of his father?
2) In what way could Jimmy Porter be seen as trying to hold onto his working class identity?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)