|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helena respond to Jimmy's anger?
2. About what does the Colonel say Jimmy has taught Allison?
3. What member of Alison's family is with her?
4. Which two characters are left on the stage alone at the end of the scene?
5. Who is the last person to know about Allison's pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Jimmy's gripes with society? Why do you think Jimmy is able to voice his opinion while Cliff, also working class, does not seem to be bothered? In what ways could Jimmy's ability to express his views point to a positive change in society at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does Osbourne use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way Osborne uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "Jimmy Porter's university education gave him the fuel for his anger." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)