|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allison say she did many times before turning back home?
2. Who appears at the door?
3. Who is the last person to know about Allison's pregnancy?
4. Who does Jimmy say is here to see Helena?
5. What does Cliff want to quit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Jimmy and Allison.
1) In what ways are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 2
John Osborne was a socialist. Using two examples from the novel, discuss the ways the story reflects Osborne's political ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does Osbourne use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way Osborne uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)