|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Helena know about Cliff leaving?
2. What do Jimmy and Cliff do after the vaudeville routine?
3. Who is the last person to know about Cliff moving out?
4. What does Alison decide to leave on the chest?
5. Who offers to tell Jimmy that Alison is leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1959 Look Back in Anger was made into a film starring Richard Burton. In what way is the film different from the book? In what ways was the film as influential as the play?
Essay Topic 2
Look Back In Anger is seen as the starting point for a movement coined by the press as the Angry Young Man.
1) In what way is Jimmy Porter the archetypal Angry Young Man?
2) Why is it so important to the play that Jimmy Porter is a working class character?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does Osbourne use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way Osborne uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)