|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does not yet know about Alison's pregnancy?
2. What does Helena accuse Cliff of not doing?
3. What word does Jimmy use to describe Alison?
4. What does Alison say seems to burn about Jimmy?
5. Why does Alison have no one to whom she can turn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jimmy angry at Helena at the end of Act Two, Scene Two?
2. In what way could Alison and Jimmy be seen as happy?
3. How does Jimmy react to Cliff's declaration that he is leaving?
4. How does Cliff react to Alison leaving?
5. In what way could it be said Jimmy has an era crisis rather than an identity crisis?
6. What similarity does Act Three, Scene One have with the opening scene?
7. In what way is Helena different from Alison?
8. How do Jimmy and Helena react differently to Alison's perceived weaknesses?
9. How does Jimmy react to Helena's news ?
10. In what way does Helena's statement that Jimmy would feel more comfortable with things during the French Revolution sum up Jimmy as a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Osborne's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "Jimmy Porter's university education gave him the fuel for his anger." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does Osbourne use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way Osborne uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,419 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)