|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does Jimmy say Helena wants to take Alison back?
2. What does Cliff assure Alison he will not do?
3. What does Alison call her flirtations with Cliff?
4. Over what kind of drink do the characters argue?
5. Which member of Alison's family does Jimmy like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jimmy react to Helena's leaving?
2. How does Jimmy react to Cliff's declaration that he is leaving?
3. In what way is Helena different from Alison?
4. Why could Jimmy be seen as downtrodden?
5. Describe the Colonel's character.
6. How does Alison react when Helena tells her she has wired her father?
7. Describe the character of Helena.
8. How does Jimmy persuade Alison to stay?
9. Why is Jimmy angry at Helena at the end of Act Two, Scene Two?
10. Why does Alison think that Jimmy married her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Why? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do the goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Osborne's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What are Jimmy's gripes with society? Why do you think Jimmy is able to voice his opinion while Cliff, also working class, does not seem to be bothered? In what ways could Jimmy's ability to express his views point to a positive change in society at that time?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)