|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Jimmy play in their game?
2. Whose name do Hugh and Jimmy use to crash parties?
3. What does Cliff leave to get?
4. To what does Jimmy say Helena looks forward?
5. Who has phoned Alison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alison think that Jimmy married her?
2. Describe the layout of the stage.
3. How does Alison react when Helena tells her she has wired her father?
4. In what way is Helena different from Alison?
5. How does Jimmy react to Alison's sudden arrival?
6. What realization does Helena come to in this section?
7. In what way is Cliff Jimmy's opposite?
8. What do the two women talk about in the final scene.
9. Why could Jimmy be seen as downtrodden?
10. How does the Colonel analyze the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using two examples from the play, argue the following statement: "John Osborne's lack of sympathy for the upper and middle classes makes Jimmy Porter into an unlikable and bitter character."
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Osborne use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What are Jimmy's gripes with society? Why do you think Jimmy is able to voice his opinion while Cliff, also working class, does not seem to be bothered? In what ways could Jimmy's ability to express his views point to a positive change in society at that time?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)