|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy say he would do if Helena slapped him?
2. What kind of animal does Cliff call himself?
3. What is Alison doing at the beginning of the scene?
4. Which member of Alison's family does Jimmy say he would like to see dead?
5. How old are both Cliff and Jimmy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Helena's statement that Jimmy would feel more comfortable with things during the French Revolution sum up Jimmy as a person?
2. How does Alison think Jimmy will react to her pregnancy?
3. In what way does Jimmy try to put himself center of attention even while he is not in the room?
4. What mistakes do the Colonel and Alison admit they have made?
5. Describe the three main characters.
6. In what way could it be said Jimmy has an era crisis rather than an identity crisis?
7. Describe the character of Helena.
8. In what way is Jimmy's reaction to Cliff's leaving hypocritical?
9. How do Jimmy and Helena react differently to Alison's perceived weaknesses?
10. How does Osborne use loud noises in the play?
Essay Topic 1
In 1959 Look Back in Anger was made into a film starring Richard Burton. In what way is the film different from the book? In what ways was the film as influential as the play?
Essay Topic 2
Using two examples from the play, argue the following statement: "John Osborne's lack of sympathy for the upper and middle classes makes Jimmy Porter into an unlikable and bitter character."
Essay Topic 3
Define the term kitchen sink realism? What are the conventions of kitchen sink realism and how is it different from realism? In ways is Look Back in Anger a kitchen sink drama?
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)