|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jimmy's business partner?
2. What does Helena accuse Cliff of not doing?
3. What is Jimmy listening to on the radio?
4. How many rooms does the Porter's apartment have?
5. What is Cliff's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the three main characters.
2. In what could Cliff be seen as making a stand in Act Two, Scene Two?
3. Why does Alison think that Jimmy married her?
4. How does Alison show her weak character in the final scene?
5. In what way does Jimmy and Helena's relationship seem more affectionate then Jimmy and Alison's relationship?
6. Describe the character of Helena.
7. How does Jimmy react to Alison's "Dear John" letter?
8. How does Osborne use loud noises in the play?
9. What mistakes do the Colonel and Alison admit they have made?
10. How does Jimmy's relationship with Helena seem more stable than his relationship with Alison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1959 Look Back in Anger was made into a film starring Richard Burton. In what way is the film different from the book? In what ways was the film as influential as the play?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does Osbourne use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way Osborne uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Osborne's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)