|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Helena work?
2. Who is Jimmy's business partner?
3. When is Alison's father coming to pick her up?
4. What is Alison doing at the beginning of the scene?
5. To what does Jimmy say Helena looks forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Alison give for marrying Jimmy?
2. In what way could it be said Jimmy has an era crisis rather than an identity crisis?
3. In what way do the characters have fun in Act Three, Scene Three?
4. Why does Alison think that Jimmy married her?
5. Describe the character of Helena.
6. How does Jimmy react to Helena's leaving?
7. In what way does Jimmy try to put himself center of attention even while he is not in the room?
8. How does Jimmy react to Cliff's declaration that he is leaving?
9. How do Jimmy and Helena react differently to Alison's perceived weaknesses?
10. What are Jimmy's criticisms of Alison's brother Nigel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using two examples from the play, argue the following statement: "John Osborne's lack of sympathy for the upper and middle classes makes Jimmy Porter into an unlikable and bitter character."
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters from the play and compare their differences in terms of class.
1) In what ways do they view life differently?
2) How are the changes in British society affecting their identity?
3) How do they view each others differences?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Why? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do the goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)