|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has phoned Alison?
2. To what does Jimmy say Helena looks forward?
3. Which member of Alison's family does Jimmy like?
4. What is Alison doing at the beginning of the scene?
5. What does Alison reveal to Cliff?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Jimmy's reaction to Cliff's leaving hypocritical?
2. How does Alison think Jimmy will react to her pregnancy?
3. Why does Jimmy dislike the church?
4. In what way could Alison and Jimmy be seen as happy?
5. In what way could it be said Jimmy has an era crisis rather than an identity crisis?
6. What realization does Helena come to in this section?
7. Why is Jimmy angry at Helena at the end of Act Two, Scene Two?
8. Describe Alison's character.
9. How does Jimmy's relationship with Helena seem more stable than his relationship with Alison?
10. What does Cliff now want to do with his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does Osbourne use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way Osborne uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Jimmy and Allison.
1) In what ways are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
Using two examples from the play, argue the following statement: "John Osborne's lack of sympathy for the upper and middle classes makes Jimmy Porter into an unlikable and bitter character."
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)