|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of Alison's family does Jimmy say he would like to see dead?
2. What does Alison call her flirtations with Cliff?
3. Alison says Jimmy's eyes are full of _____________.
4. To what does Jimmy say Helena looks forward?
5. What kind of animal does Cliff call himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way could Alison and Jimmy be seen as happy?
2. What reasons does Alison give for marrying Jimmy?
3. Why does Hugh's mother dislike Alison?
4. How does Cliff flirt with Alison in the opening scene?
5. How does the Colonel analyze the situation?
6. In what way does Helena's statement that Jimmy would feel more comfortable with things during the French Revolution sum up Jimmy as a person?
7. How does Alison think Jimmy will react to her pregnancy?
8. How do Jimmy and Helena react differently to Alison's perceived weaknesses?
9. Describe the layout of the stage.
10. In what way does Jimmy's anger seem useless?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Jimmy's gripes with society? Why do you think Jimmy is able to voice his opinion while Cliff, also working class, does not seem to be bothered? In what ways could Jimmy's ability to express his views point to a positive change in society at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term kitchen sink realism? What are the conventions of kitchen sink realism and how is it different from realism? In ways is Look Back in Anger a kitchen sink drama?
Essay Topic 3
Using two examples from the play, argue the following statement: "John Osborne's lack of sympathy for the upper and middle classes makes Jimmy Porter into an unlikable and bitter character."
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)