|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alison say Jimmy makes up his mind to do?
2. What part of Alison is burned?
3. What kind of animal does Cliff call himself?
4. What color are Jimmy's eyes?
5. What is Jimmy listening to on the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alison react to her father's apology?
2. How does Osborne use loud noises in the play?
3. How does Jimmy react to Helena's news ?
4. Why does Alison think that Jimmy married her?
5. How does Alison think Jimmy will react to her pregnancy?
6. How did Hugh and Jimmy used to embarrass Alison?
7. In what could Cliff be seen as making a stand in Act Two, Scene Two?
8. How does the Colonel analyze the situation?
9. What is Jimmy's opinion of Alison's mother?
10. Describe Alison's character.
Essay Topic 1
Using two examples from the play, argue the following statement: "John Osborne's lack of sympathy for the upper and middle classes makes Jimmy Porter into an unlikable and bitter character."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1950's Britain.
1) Why was the issue of class such an important issue at that time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think Britain was going through a transitional phase in the 1950's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1950's Britain?
Essay Topic 3
What are Jimmy's gripes with society? Why do you think Jimmy is able to voice his opinion while Cliff, also working class, does not seem to be bothered? In what ways could Jimmy's ability to express his views point to a positive change in society at that time?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)