Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy say he would do if Helena slapped him?
2. What kind of animal does Cliff call himself?
3. What is Alison doing at the beginning of the scene?
4. Which member of Alison's family does Jimmy say he would like to see dead?
5. How old are both Cliff and Jimmy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Helena's statement that Jimmy would feel more comfortable with things during the French Revolution sum up Jimmy as a person?
2. How does Alison think Jimmy will react to her pregnancy?
3. In what way does Jimmy try to put himself center of attention even while he is not in the room?
4. What mistakes do the Colonel and Alison admit they have made?
5. Describe the three main characters.
6. In what way could it be said Jimmy has an era crisis rather than an identity crisis?
7. Describe the character of Helena.
8. In what way is Jimmy's reaction to Cliff's leaving hypocritical?
9. How do Jimmy and Helena react differently to Alison's perceived weaknesses?
10. How does Osborne use loud noises in the play?
Essay Topic 1
Look Back In Anger is seen as the starting point for a movement coined by the press as the Angry Young Man.
1) In what way is Jimmy Porter the archetypal Angry Young Man?
2) Why is it so important to the play that Jimmy Porter is a working class character?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters from the play and compare their differences in terms of class.
1) In what ways do they view life differently?
2) How are the changes in British society affecting their identity?
3) How do they view each others differences?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1950's Britain.
1) Why was the issue of class such an important issue at that time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think Britain was going through a transitional phase in the 1950's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1950's Britain?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)