|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of Alison's family does Jimmy like?
2. What does Jimmy think is bad quality in this chapter?
3. What does Jimmy criticize Nigel for being?
4. Where is Helena when Alison is having problems?
5. What does Alison call her flirtations with Cliff?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jimmy react to Helena's leaving?
2. In what way is Jimmy's reaction to Cliff's leaving hypocritical?
3. In what way does Jimmy's anger seem useless?
4. In what way is Cliff Jimmy's opposite?
5. How does Jimmy react to Helena's news ?
6. What mistakes do the Colonel and Alison admit they have made?
7. How does Jimmy react to Alison's "Dear John" letter?
8. How is it obvious that Helena has now moved in?
9. Describe the layout of the stage.
10. What are Jimmy's criticisms of Alison's brother Nigel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look Back in Anger is a famous play which has greatly influenced British theater. Choose a play written after Look Back in Anger that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters from the play and compare their differences in terms of class.
1) In what ways do they view life differently?
2) How are the changes in British society affecting their identity?
3) How do they view each others differences?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does Osbourne use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way Osborne uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)