|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alison reveal to Cliff?
2. What does Cliff think will cheer them all up?
3. What does Cliff leave to get?
4. How many leather armchairs do the Porters have?
5. Which character does not yet know about Alison's pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way could it be said Jimmy has an era crisis rather than an identity crisis?
2. Why is Jimmy always the last to know about everything?
3. How does Jimmy react to Helena's leaving?
4. What do the two women talk about in the final scene.
5. In what way is Cliff Jimmy's opposite?
6. How does Jimmy fall out with Hugh?
7. In what way is Helena different from Alison?
8. Who is Hugh Tanner?
9. Describe the layout of the stage.
10. How does Jimmy react to Alison's "Dear John" letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Look Back In Anger make such an impact when it was first released? In what way was it different from other plays released up to that point? In what way did Look Back In Anger revolutionize British theater at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1950's Britain.
1) Why was the issue of class such an important issue at that time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think Britain was going through a transitional phase in the 1950's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1950's Britain?
Essay Topic 3
John Osborne was a socialist. Using two examples from the novel, discuss the ways the story reflects Osborne's political ideas.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)