|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cliff leave to get?
2. What is Cliff's surname?
3. What instrument is Jimmy playing?
4. Who is coming to stay at the house?
5. What part of Alison is burned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hugh's mother dislike Alison?
2. In what way does Helena's statement that Jimmy would feel more comfortable with things during the French Revolution sum up Jimmy as a person?
3. How does Jimmy react to Alison's sudden arrival?
4. Describe the character of Helena.
5. In what way does Jimmy and Helena's relationship seem more affectionate then Jimmy and Alison's relationship?
6. How is it obvious that Helena has now moved in?
7. How does Alison react when Helena tells her she has wired her father?
8. What do the two women talk about in the final scene.
9. How does Cliff react to Alison leaving?
10. What realization does Helena come to in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using two examples from the play, argue the following statement: "John Osborne's lack of sympathy for the upper and middle classes makes Jimmy Porter into an unlikable and bitter character."
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Osborne use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
In 1959 Look Back in Anger was made into a film starring Richard Burton. In what way is the film different from the book? In what ways was the film as influential as the play?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)