|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy admit to doing on purpose to Alison?
2. Where is Alison going with Helena?
3. What does Cliff think will cheer them all up?
4. What kind of animal does Cliff call himself?
5. Which character calls Jimmy in for tea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alison's character.
2. How does Alison show her weak character in the final scene?
3. Why is Jimmy angry at Helena at the end of Act Two, Scene Two?
4. Why does Hugh's mother dislike Alison?
5. Describe the character of Helena.
6. In what way could it be said Jimmy has an era crisis rather than an identity crisis?
7. How does Jimmy react to Helena's news ?
8. In what way is change a major theme in the play?
9. In what way does the Colonel think Jimmy is right in his criticism?
10. In what way could Alison and Jimmy be seen as happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "Jimmy Porter's university education gave him the fuel for his anger." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1950's Britain.
1) Why was the issue of class such an important issue at that time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think Britain was going through a transitional phase in the 1950's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1950's Britain?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Osborne's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)