|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Alison does Cliff kiss?
2. How old are both Cliff and Jimmy?
3. What member of his family does Jimmy talk about?
4. How much time has passed since the first scene?
5. What is Hugh's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Jimmy's anger seem useless?
2. In what way is it obvious Alison has had a miscarriage?
3. What reasons does Alison give for marrying Jimmy?
4. What is the establishment?
5. In what way is Jimmy's reaction to Cliff's leaving hypocritical?
6. Why is Jimmy always the last to know about everything?
7. How does Cliff react to Alison leaving?
8. How does Jimmy react to Helena's news ?
9. In what way is change a major theme in the play?
10. How does Jimmy react to Cliff's declaration that he is leaving?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "Jimmy Porter's university education gave him the fuel for his anger." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Osborne use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Why? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do the goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)