• The play opens in a one-room apartment in the Midlands on an early April evening.
• Jimmy Porter and Cliff Lewis sit in armchairs reading newspapers while Jimmy's wife Alison does the ironing.
• Jimmy begins a tirade against the quality of the newspaper and then, when no one listens, he turns on Alison.
• Alison agrees with everything Jimmy says. Even when he derides her intelligence.
• Cliff flirts with Alison who responds in kind. Jimmy pretends not to care.
• Jimmy starts to reveal his contempt for Alison's family and Cliff suggests they all go to the movie theater.
• Alison offers to iron the wrinkles out of Cliff's pants and Cliff takes off his pants.
• Jimmy starts a tirade against world culture and has to kick Cliff to get him to listen.
• Jimmy continues his rant against family, in particular Alison's brother, Nigel. He calls Alison pusillanimous which he says...
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)