|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When measuring longitude, each hour of time difference between the ship and starting point marks a progress of how many degrees of longitude?
2. What was built at Greenwich Park?
(a) The Royal Observatory.
(b) The Celestial Palace.
(c) St. Paul's Cathedral.
(d) The Paris Observatory.
3. What disease afflicted many sailors at sea for long periods of time?
(d) Typhoid fever.
4. What was Flamsteed's title?
(a) "Astronomical observator."
(b) "French stars master."
(c) "King of naval longitude."
(d) "Celestial navigator."
5. What was Giovanni Domenico Cassini famous for?
(a) Discovering the moons of Jupiter.
(b) Sailing around the world.
(c) Publishing accurate maps.
(d) Inventing the pendulum clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Harrison build that still function today?
2. What was the official title of the monetary award for solving the longitude problem?
3. What was one benefit of the Whiston-Ditton proposal?
4. What did Huygens and Hooke fight over?
5. Where did Newton believe the answer to the longitude problem lie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the story of Sir Clowdisley included in Chapter 2: The Sea Before Time?
2. What did the Longitude Act establish?
3. Explain the title of Chapter 5: Powder of Sympathy.
4. Describe John Harrison.
5. What were the economic consequences of not knowing longitude?
6. What was Galileo's longitude solution?
7. In Chapter 2: The Sea Before Time, what happened to Sir Clowdisley's voyage?
8. What was the Longitude Act of 1714?
9. What was the main problem with the "lunar-distance" method?
10. What was the problem with measuring the speed of light? How was it solved?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)