|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did George Graham give Harrison?
(a) A pass to the Royal Observatory.
(b) A loan to build his first clock.
(c) A book on the mechanics of clockmaking.
(d) A model clock.
2. Tobias Mayer was a ____________.
(a) American theologian.
(b) French scientist.
(c) English astronomer.
(d) German mapmaker.
3. Who wrote "The British Mariner's Guide?"
4. What did Edmund Halley successfully predict?
(a) The accuracy of a clock.
(b) The winner of the longitude prize.
(c) Celestial movements.
(d) The navigational currents of the Atlantic.
5. Who won the Longitude Prize?
(a) No one.
6. After successfully testing the H-4, how much of the Longitude Prize did Harrison receive?
(a) Third of the reward.
(b) All of the reward.
(c) None of the reward.
(d) Half of the reward.
7. Which of the following people were not members of the Board of Longitude?
(a) Lord Monson.
(b) Edmund Halley.
(c) George Graham.
(d) Arthur Onslow.
8. When did Harrison die?
(a) March 24th, 1776, at the age of 83
(b) October 17th 1790, at the age of 91.
(c) April 23rd 1772, at the age of 71.
(d) June 9th, 1750, at the age of 68.
9. When was the Longitude Act repealed?
10. How did Maskelyne obtain all four of Harrison's clocks?
(a) He tried, but never succeeded, in obtaining Harrison's clocks.
(b) He offered him a sum more than the Longitude Prize.
(c) He came to Harrison's door with a warrant.
(d) He broke into his home and took them.
11. Who did Harrison first contact when he arrived in London?
(a) Admiral Norris.
(b) Dr. James Bradley.
(c) Edmund Halley.
(d) George Graham.
12. What is the size of the H-4?
(a) An area of six centimeters.
(b) 2" x 2" x 2".
(c) 4" x 4" x 4".
(d) Five inches in diameter.
13. How accurate was Arnold's pocket watch that was tested by Maskelyne?
(a) Perfectly accurate, not losing any time.
(b) Accurate within thirty seconds over four weeks.
(c) Accurate within three seconds over a year.
(d) Accurate within four minutes over six months.
14. When Harrison was asked to hand his plans over to the British government, what was his reaction?
(a) He was jovial and handed them over.
(b) He was devastated and burned them.
(c) He was excited to share his plans with more people.
(d) He was furious, but complied.
15. After Bradley died, who filled the open slot on the Board of Longitude.
(d) It remains vacant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who awarded Harrison the remainder of the prize money?
2. What kind of mechanisms did the H-4 contain?
3. Who was famous for reducing the motion of the planets to a few equations?
4. The main problem with the lunar method was that it took a great deal of ________________.
5. What country was Thomas Godfrey from?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)