|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Arnold and Earnshaw fight over?
(a) The inventor of the pocketwatch.
(b) The viability of the lunar method.
(c) A patent over a spring innovation.
(d) A pendulum part.
2. Which clock was capable of winning Harrison the Longitude Prize?
3. After Bradley died, who filled the open slot on the Board of Longitude.
(d) It remains vacant.
4. What did Harrison complete in 1759?
5. When Harrison was asked to hand his plans over to the British government, what was his reaction?
(a) He was devastated and burned them.
(b) He was excited to share his plans with more people.
(c) He was furious, but complied.
(d) He was jovial and handed them over.
6. Tobias Mayer was a ____________.
(a) French scientist.
(b) German mapmaker.
(c) English astronomer.
(d) American theologian.
7. How did Maskelyne obtain all four of Harrison's clocks?
(a) He offered him a sum more than the Longitude Prize.
(b) He broke into his home and took them.
(c) He tried, but never succeeded, in obtaining Harrison's clocks.
(d) He came to Harrison's door with a warrant.
8. How much did Harrison receive to complete H-4 after the initial tests?
(a) 500 pounds.
(b) 25,000 pounds.
(c) 1,500 pounds.
(d) 15,000 pounds.
9. Which clock can function today, but is not run in order to preserve its parts?
10. How many more times accurate was the H-4 than the Longitude Act required?
(a) Four times.
(b) Three times.
(c) Two times.
(d) Five times.
11. Which clock was Harrison's greatest triumph?
12. When was the Longitude Act repealed?
13. By the mid-nineteenth century, what was the accepted way to navigate longitude?
(a) There was still no solution to longitude.
(b) The lunar method.
(c) Use of clocks.
14. What was different between H-4 and H-5?
(a) The H-5 was much larger than the H-4.
(b) The H-5 was much simpler than the H-4.
(c) The H-4 was made out of copper and the H-5 out of iron.
(d) The H-4 could tell time by the position of the sun.
15. What was the Board of Longitude's response after the initial testing of H-4?
(a) The Board purchased the design of H-4 from Harrison.
(b) The Board took all funding from Harrison away for cheating on the testing of H-4.
(c) The Board awarded Harrison the longitude prize.
(d) The Board called for a reevaluation of H-4.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of mechanisms did the H-4 contain?
2. Who was famous for reducing the motion of the planets to a few equations?
3. How long did Harrison spend building H-3?
4. Due to the astronomers' ______________, Harrison would face much resistance after he finished his greatest work.
5. How long did it take Harrison to build and test the H-5?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)