|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10: The Diamond Timekeeper.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main difference in measuring longitude and latitude?
(a) Latitude is measured in degrees and longitude is not.
(b) Longitude is measured by time.
(c) Latitude is measured by time.
(d) Longitude is measured by the sun.
2. Describe the relationship between Harrison and the Royal Academy of Astronomers.
(a) They were financial backers.
(b) They were colleagues.
(c) They were enemies.
(d) They were friends.
3. What did Humphrey Ditton propose to use to solve the longitude problem?
4. The members of the Board of Longitude were members of which class of society?
(a) The royal class.
(b) The elite class.
(c) The seafaring class.
(d) The working class.
5. The main problem with the lunar method was that it took a great deal of ________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The placement of the prime meridian was a ____________ decision.
2. How long did it take Harrison to build H1?
3. What did King Louis build in Paris?
4. What was the tool introduced by John Davis in 1595 to better look at the sun called?
5. What does the coiled balance spring do in clocks?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)