|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10: The Diamond Timekeeper.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could have avoided the tragedy near the Scilly Islands?
(a) If the rudder on the ship hadn't been broken, the captain could have steered away from the islands.
(b) If the lead ship had followed the directions of the admiral.
(c) If the admiral had listened to a sailor who kept his own navigation.
(d) If the stars had been out so the captains could utilize them for navigation.
2. Describe the relationship between Harrison and the Royal Academy of Astronomers.
(a) They were colleagues.
(b) They were financial backers.
(c) They were enemies.
(d) They were friends.
3. Besides clocks, what was Hooke known for?
(a) A biologist, a surveyor, and a physicist.
(b) A cartologist, a botanist, and an astrologist.
(c) An astronomer, a geologist, and a realist.
(d) A capitalist, a dramatist, and an environmentalist.
4. Complete this analogy from Chapter 4:Time in a Bottle: Time is to clock as mind is to ____________.
5. Which clock did Harrison become dissatisfied with and never made to sea?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came up with a way to draw longitude meridians on the night sky?
2. How many working parts does the H-3 have?
3. How much did H-3 weigh?
4. Who aided Harrison in building the H-3?
5. What kind of mechanisms did the H-4 contain?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)