|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10: The Diamond Timekeeper.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thirty miles is how many degrees of longitude?
(a) Ten degrees.
(b) Five degrees.
(c) Half a degree.
(d) Eight degrees.
2. What year was Harrison born?
3. How many men of the original 500 perished on Centurion's voyage to the South Pacific?
(a) One quarter.
(b) All but two.
4. In order for Ditton's and Whiston's plan to determine longitude to work, what would have to be done?
(a) Ship captains would need to go to "Longitude School."
(b) A fleet of ships would need to be anchored at 600-mile intervals in the ocean.
(c) New discoveries in compasses would need to be made.
(d) Accurate clocks would need to be on all ships.
5. Which clock can function today, but is not run in order to preserve its parts?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one benefit of the Whiston-Ditton proposal?
2. What did Hadley and Godfrey invent?
3. Harrison was an avid ___________.
4. At the end of Chapter 6: The Prize, how had Newton changed his thinking about the longitude problem?
5. Who won the Hooke/Huygens conflict?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)