|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10: The Diamond Timekeeper.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men of the original 500 perished on Centurion's voyage to the South Pacific?
(b) All but two.
(d) One quarter.
2. Besides clocks, what was Hooke known for?
(a) A biologist, a surveyor, and a physicist.
(b) An astronomer, a geologist, and a realist.
(c) A capitalist, a dramatist, and an environmentalist.
(d) A cartologist, a botanist, and an astrologist.
3. When was the magnetic compass invented?
(a) 17th century.
(b) 12th century.
(c) 10th century.
(d) 15th century.
4. What did Huygen's published argument state?
(a) Longitude could be determined by the moon.
(b) Jupiters moons were really rings.
(c) A map with correct currents was necessary to navigate at sea.
(d) A clock could establish longitude at sea.
5. What did George Graham give Harrison?
(a) A pass to the Royal Observatory.
(b) A loan to build his first clock.
(c) A book on the mechanics of clockmaking.
(d) A model clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Harrison's clocks continue to function to this day?
2. Who used the moons of Jupiter to solve the longitude problem?
3. What unusual occurrence helped in early navigation at sea?
4. Due to the astronomers' ______________, Harrison would face much resistance after he finished his greatest work.
5. The members of the Board of Longitude were members of which class of society?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)