|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10: The Diamond Timekeeper.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harrison was an avid ___________.
(d) Cricket player.
2. Who developed the "lunar distance method" to longitude?
(a) Admiral Shovell.
(b) Ole Roemer.
(c) John Flamsteed.
(d) Johannes Werner.
3. What was the powder of sympathy method to determine longitude called?
(a) The barking animal theory.
(b) The magical powder theory.
(c) The healing bird theory.
(d) The wounded dog theory.
4. What kind of solution to the longitude problem did the Board of Longitude originally desire?
(a) A map based one.
(b) A telescope based one.
(c) A clock based one.
(d) An astronomical one.
5. Which of Harrison's clocks continue to function to this day?
(a) H-1 and H-2.
(b) H-1, H-2, H-3, and H-4.
(c) Only H-4.
(d) H-3 and H-4.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main point of Chapter 6: The Prize?
2. Who did Harrison first contact when he arrived in London?
3. What did Edmund Halley successfully predict?
4. What did Humphrey Ditton propose to use to solve the longitude problem?
5. Who was famous for reducing the motion of the planets to a few equations?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)