|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10: The Diamond Timekeeper.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Humphrey Ditton propose to use to solve the longitude problem?
2. What did George Graham give Harrison?
(a) A pass to the Royal Observatory.
(b) A book on the mechanics of clockmaking.
(c) A model clock.
(d) A loan to build his first clock.
3. The main problem with the lunar method was that it took a great deal of ________________.
4. Complete this analogy from Chapter 4:Time in a Bottle: Time is to clock as mind is to ____________.
5. Harrison's clocks were referred to as:
(a) A moment in time.
(b) A technological reversal.
(c) A magic box.
(d) A lump of metal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was in command of the ships that ran into the Scilly Islands near England?
2. What was the powder of sympathy method to determine longitude called?
3. How many men of the original 500 perished on Centurion's voyage to the South Pacific?
4. The moon travels a distance roughly equal to its own width every _________.
5. Which clock did Harrison become dissatisfied with and never made to sea?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)