|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7: Cogmaker's Journal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Longitude Act of 1714 establish?
(a) The lunar method as the government's way to calculate longitude.
(b) Taxes on the use of maps with longitude.
(c) A uniform way to calculate longitude.
(d) A monetary prize for solving the problem of longitude.
2. Why was it remarkable for Harrison to build his first pendulum clock?
(a) He wasn't a watchmakers apprentice.
(b) He was an adamant believer in the astronomical solution to longitude.
(c) He came from a very poor family with no means to build a clock.
(d) His design was stolen midway through building the clock.
3. Huygen's clocks went on a number of voyages. On the third voyage to the Cape Verde Islands, what did his clock do?
(a) Sent the ship 50 miles off course.
(b) Kept good track of the ship's longitude.
(c) Made the ship arrive three weeks ahead of schedule.
(d) Stopped working midway through the voyage because of the temperature change.
4. What was the tool introduced by John Davis in 1595 to better look at the sun called?
(a) The cane.
(b) The sidestaff.
(c) The backstaff.
(d) The cross-staff.
5. Who was Harrison's right-hand man in building clocks?
(a) His father, Joe.
(b) His son, William.
(c) His son, Jon.
(d) His friend, Newton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the quote at the beginning of Chapter 3: Adrift in a Clockwork Universe have the author dreaming he is locked in?
2. What toy does the narrator play with at the beginning of Chapter 1: Imaginary Lines?
3. What was one of Harrison's innovations?
4. Who won the Hooke/Huygens conflict?
5. How accurate was the solution to longitude to be?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)