|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6: The Prize.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How accurate was the solution to longitude to be?
(a) Within half a degree.
(b) Exact, no room for error.
(c) At least five degrees.
(d) Less than ten degrees.
2. How is the fog described at the beginning of Chapter 2: The Sea Before Time?
(a) "London fog."
(b) "Pea soup."
(c) "Dirty weather."
3. What was built at Greenwich Park?
(a) The Paris Observatory.
(b) The Royal Observatory.
(c) St. Paul's Cathedral.
(d) The Celestial Palace.
4. The difference between longitude and latitude is that latitude lines _____________ each other.
(a) Converge with.
5. Who was in command of the ships that ran into the Scilly Islands near England?
(a) Samuel Pepys.
(b) Commodore George Anson.
(c) John Harrison.
(d) Admiral Sir Clowdisley Shovell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Humphrey Ditton propose to use to solve the longitude problem?
2. What was Giovanni Domenico Cassini famous for?
3. What was the powder of sympathy method to determine longitude called?
4. When the Centurion set sail for the South Pacific, what did they not take with them?
5. What unusual occurrence helped in early navigation at sea?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)