|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6: The Prize.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides clocks, what was Hooke known for?
(a) A biologist, a surveyor, and a physicist.
(b) A cartologist, a botanist, and an astrologist.
(c) A capitalist, a dramatist, and an environmentalist.
(d) An astronomer, a geologist, and a realist.
2. What did King Louis build in Paris?
(a) A telescope.
(b) An astronomical obersvatory.
(c) The Eifel Tower.
(d) Notre Dame.
3. Which of the following was NOT an early player in the quest for the longitude prize?
4. What was Huygens best known as?
(a) The first great philosopher.
(b) The first great horologist.
(c) The first great astronomer.
(d) The first great scientist.
5. Who used the moons of Jupiter to solve the longitude problem?
(a) Commodore Anson.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Parliamentary committee assembled to respond to the problem of longitude relied on which two experts?
2. What did Huygens and Hooke fight over?
3. What was Flamsteed's title?
4. Who developed the "lunar distance method" to longitude?
5. The moon travels a distance roughly equal to its own width every _________.
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)