|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6: The Prize.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before using clocks to navigate longitude, sailors used the __________.
(c) Sky: sun, moon, stars and constellations.
2. When measuring longitude, each hour of time difference between the ship and starting point marks a progress of how many degrees of longitude?
3. What was the powder of sympathy method to determine longitude called?
(a) The barking animal theory.
(b) The magical powder theory.
(c) The healing bird theory.
(d) The wounded dog theory.
4. Who developed the "lunar distance method" to longitude?
(a) Ole Roemer.
(b) John Flamsteed.
(c) Admiral Shovell.
(d) Johannes Werner.
5. Where was the destination the Centurion was sailing for?
(a) Juan Fernandez Island.
(b) Tierra del Feugo.
(c) Cape Noir.
(d) Scilly Islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one benefit of the Whiston-Ditton proposal?
2. What was Flamsteed's reaction to his maps being seized?
3. What was the punishment for mutiny on the Association?
4. Who completed the first working pendulum clock?
5. Who used the moons of Jupiter to solve the longitude problem?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)