|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6: The Prize.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Harrison's most prized accomplishment?
(a) Inventing military time.
(b) Inventing a clock with hands.
(c) Inventing a clock that would keep accurate time at sea.
(d) Discovering the lunar method of calculating longitude.
2. What unusual occurrence helped in early navigation at sea?
(b) Solar and lunar eclipses.
3. When measuring longitude, each hour of time difference between the ship and starting point marks a progress of how many degrees of longitude?
4. What does the term "dead reckoning" refer to?
(a) An early way to navigate at sea using the position of stars and the moon.
(b) An advanced way to determine longitude using clocks.
(c) A primitive way to navigate at sea using estimates from a fixed point.
(d) A way to verify the number of sailors lost at sea.
5. What was built at Greenwich Park?
(a) The Paris Observatory.
(b) The Royal Observatory.
(c) St. Paul's Cathedral.
(d) The Celestial Palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. The difference between longitude and latitude is that latitude lines _____________ each other.
2. What did Humphrey Ditton propose to use to solve the longitude problem?
3. What was the tool introduced by John Davis in 1595 to better look at the sun called?
4. Who explained the moons of Jupiter with the velocity of light?
5. The Parliamentary committee assembled to respond to the problem of longitude relied on which two experts?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)