|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Adrift in a Clockwork Universe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men of the original 500 perished on Centurion's voyage to the South Pacific?
(b) One quarter.
(c) All but two.
2. How is the fog described at the beginning of Chapter 2: The Sea Before Time?
(a) "Dirty weather."
(b) "Pea soup."
(d) "London fog."
3. What was the name of the Portugese ship described in Chapter 2: The Sea Before Time that ran into a Spanish fleet?
(b) Madre de Deus.
4. What was the punishment for mutiny on the Association?
(b) Thrown overboard.
(d) Water boarding.
5. Before using clocks to navigate longitude, sailors used the __________.
(d) Sky: sun, moon, stars and constellations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the problem with pendulum clocks on ships?
2. Who was in command of the ships that ran into the Scilly Islands near England?
3. In the earliest lines of latitude, what marked the zero-degree line?
4. What toy does the narrator play with at the beginning of Chapter 1: Imaginary Lines?
5. What did King Louis XIV of France complain about with more accurate measures of longitude?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)