|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Adrift in a Clockwork Universe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before using clocks to navigate longitude, sailors used the __________.
(b) Sky: sun, moon, stars and constellations.
2. The moon travels a distance roughly equal to its own width every _________.
(c) 30 minutes.
3. Who developed the "lunar distance method" to longitude?
(a) Ole Roemer.
(b) John Flamsteed.
(c) Admiral Shovell.
(d) Johannes Werner.
4. What was the name of the Portugese ship described in Chapter 2: The Sea Before Time that ran into a Spanish fleet?
(c) Madre de Deus.
5. What disease afflicted many sailors at sea for long periods of time?
(a) Typhoid fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who explained the moons of Jupiter with the velocity of light?
2. What was the punishment for mutiny on the Association?
3. What did King Louis XIV of France complain about with more accurate measures of longitude?
4. Harrison's clocks were referred to as:
5. The placement of the prime meridian was a ____________ decision.
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)