|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Adrift in a Clockwork Universe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who used the moons of Jupiter to solve the longitude problem?
(b) Commodore Anson.
2. The moon travels a distance roughly equal to its own width every _________.
(c) 30 minutes.
3. How many sailors died near the Scilly Islands?
4. What is the main difference in measuring longitude and latitude?
(a) Longitude is measured by the sun.
(b) Longitude is measured by time.
(c) Latitude is measured in degrees and longitude is not.
(d) Latitude is measured by time.
5. Where was the destination the Centurion was sailing for?
(a) Scilly Islands.
(b) Tierra del Feugo.
(c) Cape Noir.
(d) Juan Fernandez Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Giovanni Domenico Cassini famous for?
2. Who explained the moons of Jupiter with the velocity of light?
3. What could have avoided the tragedy near the Scilly Islands?
4. Harrison's clocks were referred to as:
5. What did King Louis XIV of France complain about with more accurate measures of longitude?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)