|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Adrift in a Clockwork Universe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the term "dead reckoning" refer to?
(a) An advanced way to determine longitude using clocks.
(b) A way to verify the number of sailors lost at sea.
(c) An early way to navigate at sea using the position of stars and the moon.
(d) A primitive way to navigate at sea using estimates from a fixed point.
2. How is the fog described at the beginning of Chapter 2: The Sea Before Time?
(a) "London fog."
(b) "Pea soup."
(c) "Dirty weather."
3. After the Association ran aground and the captain's body was found, what of value was found on him?
(a) A pouch of spices.
(b) A pendulum clock.
(c) A diamond necklace.
(d) An emerald ring.
4. What could have avoided the tragedy near the Scilly Islands?
(a) If the rudder on the ship hadn't been broken, the captain could have steered away from the islands.
(b) If the admiral had listened to a sailor who kept his own navigation.
(c) If the stars had been out so the captains could utilize them for navigation.
(d) If the lead ship had followed the directions of the admiral.
5. In the earliest lines of latitude, what marked the zero-degree line?
(a) The prime meridian.
(b) The equator.
(c) The north pole.
(d) The tropic of cancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did King Louis XIV of France complain about with more accurate measures of longitude?
2. How many men of the original 500 perished on Centurion's voyage to the South Pacific?
3. What was the punishment for mutiny on the Association?
4. What toy does the narrator play with at the beginning of Chapter 1: Imaginary Lines?
5. What disease afflicted many sailors at sea for long periods of time?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)