|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Adrift in a Clockwork Universe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who developed the "lunar distance method" to longitude?
(a) Ole Roemer.
(b) Admiral Shovell.
(c) John Flamsteed.
(d) Johannes Werner.
2. What does the term "dead reckoning" refer to?
(a) An advanced way to determine longitude using clocks.
(b) A primitive way to navigate at sea using estimates from a fixed point.
(c) A way to verify the number of sailors lost at sea.
(d) An early way to navigate at sea using the position of stars and the moon.
3. What was Harrison's most prized accomplishment?
(a) Inventing military time.
(b) Discovering the lunar method of calculating longitude.
(c) Inventing a clock with hands.
(d) Inventing a clock that would keep accurate time at sea.
4. How long did Harrison work before receiving his monetary reward?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 40 years.
5. The placement of the prime meridian was a ____________ decision.
Short Answer Questions
1. The difference between longitude and latitude is that latitude lines _____________ each other.
2. What could have avoided the tragedy near the Scilly Islands?
3. In the earliest lines of latitude, what marked the zero-degree line?
4. What was the name of the Portugese ship described in Chapter 2: The Sea Before Time that ran into a Spanish fleet?
5. Where was the destination the Centurion was sailing for?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)