|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13: The Second Voyage of Captain James Cook.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time did H-4 lose at sea when it was being tested?
(a) 3 minutes after 32 days.
(b) 8 minutes after 46 days.
(c) 45 seconds after 59 days.
(d) 5 seconds after 81 days.
2. What was Huygens best known as?
(a) The first great scientist.
(b) The first great horologist.
(c) The first great astronomer.
(d) The first great philosopher.
3. Why did Harrison take so long to build the H-3?
(a) His design was ransacked midway through completion.
(b) It is unknown.
(c) He repeatedly ran out of money.
(d) The design faltered during a sea test and he had to start over.
4. Who did Harrison first contact when he arrived in London?
(a) Dr. James Bradley.
(b) Admiral Norris.
(c) Edmund Halley.
(d) George Graham.
5. Where was the destination the Centurion was sailing for?
(a) Juan Fernandez Island.
(b) Scilly Islands.
(c) Cape Noir.
(d) Tierra del Feugo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease afflicted many sailors at sea for long periods of time?
2. What was Flamsteed's reaction to his maps being seized?
3. When did clock makers begin to design clocks to measure longitude?
4. How would you describe Nevil Maskelyne?
5. What did Humphrey Ditton propose to use to solve the longitude problem?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)