|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: Powder of Sympathy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In AD 150, who plotted lines of longitude and latitude?
2. Who developed the "lunar distance method" to longitude?
(a) Admiral Shovell.
(b) Ole Roemer.
(c) Johannes Werner.
(d) John Flamsteed.
3. Who used the moons of Jupiter to solve the longitude problem?
(c) Commodore Anson.
4. What was the punishment for mutiny on the Association?
(b) Thrown overboard.
(c) Water boarding.
5. What is the main difference in measuring longitude and latitude?
(a) Longitude is measured by time.
(b) Latitude is measured in degrees and longitude is not.
(c) Longitude is measured by the sun.
(d) Latitude is measured by time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the coiled balance spring do in clocks?
2. What unusual occurrence helped in early navigation at sea?
3. How many men of the original 500 perished on Centurion's voyage to the South Pacific?
4. In the earliest lines of latitude, what marked the zero-degree line?
5. Who was in command of the ships that ran into the Scilly Islands near England?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)