|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: Powder of Sympathy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Huygens and Hooke fight over?
(a) A woman.
(b) A map.
(c) A patent.
(d) A ship.
2. Huygen's clocks went on a number of voyages. On the third voyage to the Cape Verde Islands, what did his clock do?
(a) Stopped working midway through the voyage because of the temperature change.
(b) Made the ship arrive three weeks ahead of schedule.
(c) Sent the ship 50 miles off course.
(d) Kept good track of the ship's longitude.
3. What does the coiled balance spring do in clocks?
(a) Allows the navigator to know the time in the home port.
(b) Allows the clock to keep a constant temperature.
(c) Prevents waves from destabilizing the clock.
(d) Prevents the pendulum from losing time.
4. What unusual occurrence helped in early navigation at sea?
(b) Solar and lunar eclipses.
5. In order for Ditton's and Whiston's plan to determine longitude to work, what would have to be done?
(a) A fleet of ships would need to be anchored at 600-mile intervals in the ocean.
(b) New discoveries in compasses would need to be made.
(c) Accurate clocks would need to be on all ships.
(d) Ship captains would need to go to "Longitude School."
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Association ran aground and the captain's body was found, what of value was found on him?
2. Who explained the moons of Jupiter with the velocity of light?
3. Hooke nor Huygens were able to:
4. What was one benefit of the Whiston-Ditton proposal?
5. The moon travels a distance roughly equal to its own width every _________.
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)