|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9: Hands on Heaven's Clock.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hadley and Godfrey invent?
(a) A method to calculate lunar distance.
(b) A celestial navigation map.
(c) A working telescope.
(d) A working clock.
2. When the Centurion set sail for the South Pacific, what did they not take with them?
(a) Medication to ward off scurvy.
(b) Smith's map.
(c) A compass.
(d) Harrison's clock.
3. What did Humphrey Ditton propose to use to solve the longitude problem?
4. Where was the destination the Centurion was sailing for?
(a) Scilly Islands.
(b) Juan Fernandez Island.
(c) Tierra del Feugo.
(d) Cape Noir.
5. Who won the Hooke/Huygens conflict?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sailors died near the Scilly Islands?
2. What was one disadvantage to using the magnetic variation method to determine longitude?
3. In the Whiston-Ditton proposal, what did they hope to be exempt from?
4. How many times was Harrison married?
5. How is the fog described at the beginning of Chapter 2: The Sea Before Time?
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)