|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9: Hands on Heaven's Clock.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hadley and Godfrey invent?
(a) A celestial navigation map.
(b) A method to calculate lunar distance.
(c) A working clock.
(d) A working telescope.
2. Who came up with a way to draw longitude meridians on the night sky?
(a) Sir Kenelm Digby.
(b) William Whiston.
(c) John Davis.
(d) Samuel Fyler.
3. Who won the Hooke/Huygens conflict?
4. How old was Harrison when he built his first pendulum clock?
(d) Less than 20.
5. How was John Harrison educated?
(a) He went to Oxford.
(b) He learned alongside Newton.
(c) He attended elementary school in his town.
(d) He had no formal education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could the powder of sympathy reportedly do?
2. In the Whiston-Ditton proposal, what did they hope to be exempt from?
3. What disease afflicted many sailors at sea for long periods of time?
4. What does the term "dead reckoning" refer to?
5. What was the powder of sympathy method to determine longitude called?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)