|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9: Hands on Heaven's Clock.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country was John Hadley from?
(a) United States.
2. What disease afflicted many sailors at sea for long periods of time?
(a) Typhoid fever.
3. How is the fog described at the beginning of Chapter 2: The Sea Before Time?
(a) "Dirty weather."
(b) "London fog."
(d) "Pea soup."
4. Hooke nor Huygens were able to:
(a) Get the Royal Society to declare a winner.
(b) Collaborate on a working clock.
(c) Collect on the monetary prize offered for solving the problem of longitude.
(d) Produce a clock that worked at sea.
5. What does the coiled balance spring do in clocks?
(a) Prevents waves from destabilizing the clock.
(b) Prevents the pendulum from losing time.
(c) Allows the clock to keep a constant temperature.
(d) Allows the navigator to know the time in the home port.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tobias Mayer was a ____________.
2. What did Humphrey Ditton propose to use to solve the longitude problem?
3. When was the magnetic compass invented?
4. Who won the Hooke/Huygens conflict?
5. How did astronomers feel about Harrison's clock idea for solving the problem of longitude?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)