|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12: A Tale of Two Portraits.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took Nathaniel Bliss's spot on the Board of Longitude?
(a) He was not replaced.
(b) Thomas Bradley.
(c) John Harrison.
(d) Nevil Maskelyne.
2. What was Huygens best known as?
(a) The first great horologist.
(b) The first great astronomer.
(c) The first great philosopher.
(d) The first great scientist.
3. Hooke nor Huygens were able to:
(a) Collaborate on a working clock.
(b) Get the Royal Society to declare a winner.
(c) Produce a clock that worked at sea.
(d) Collect on the monetary prize offered for solving the problem of longitude.
4. How long did it take Harrison to build H1?
(a) Five years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Ten years.
5. After successfully completing the H-4, who passed an act that placed new restrictions on Harrison?
(a) The British Legislature.
(b) The Royal Astronomers.
(c) The Board of Longitude.
(d) The French Government.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many more times accurate was the H-4 than the Longitude Act required?
2. Who completed the first working pendulum clock?
3. How did Maskelyne obtain all four of Harrison's clocks?
4. Why was Maskelyne against Harrison?
5. What was the main point of Harrison's first presentation before the Board of Longitude?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)