|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12: A Tale of Two Portraits.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did George Graham give Harrison?
(a) A loan to build his first clock.
(b) A book on the mechanics of clockmaking.
(c) A pass to the Royal Observatory.
(d) A model clock.
2. Who did Harrison first contact when he arrived in London?
(a) Dr. James Bradley.
(b) George Graham.
(c) Edmund Halley.
(d) Admiral Norris.
3. Why did Maskelyne think Harrison shouldn't win the longitude prize?
(a) His clocks did not prove sea worthy.
(b) He throught Harrison too religious to win the prize.
(c) He thought Harrison too unsophisticated to win the prize.
(d) His clocks were not as precise as the lunar method.
4. Hooke nor Huygens were able to:
(a) Collect on the monetary prize offered for solving the problem of longitude.
(b) Get the Royal Society to declare a winner.
(c) Collaborate on a working clock.
(d) Produce a clock that worked at sea.
5. Early clocks weren't up to measuring longitude at sea for two reasons. They were not accurate and changed because of what while at sea?
(a) Speed of the boat.
(d) Rocking of the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides clocks, what was Hooke known for?
2. How long would Nevil Maskelyne test the H-4 at the Royal Observatory?
3. Complete this analogy from Chapter 4:Time in a Bottle: Time is to clock as mind is to ____________.
4. How did Maskelyne obtain all four of Harrison's clocks?
5. Why was Maskelyne against Harrison?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)