|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12: A Tale of Two Portraits.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Huygens best known as?
(a) The first great horologist.
(b) The first great astronomer.
(c) The first great philosopher.
(d) The first great scientist.
2. What does the coiled balance spring do in clocks?
(a) Allows the navigator to know the time in the home port.
(b) Prevents waves from destabilizing the clock.
(c) Prevents the pendulum from losing time.
(d) Allows the clock to keep a constant temperature.
3. What was the main point of Harrison's first presentation before the Board of Longitude?
(a) He demonstrated how H-1 worked.
(b) He articulated the promise of an astronomical solution.
(c) He presented how H-1 would solve the longitude problem.
(d) He complained about H-1's errors.
4. Which clock did Harrison become dissatisfied with and never made to sea?
5. How long did it take Harrison to build H1?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. The members of the Board of Longitude were members of which class of society?
2. Early clocks weren't up to measuring longitude at sea for two reasons. They were not accurate and changed because of what while at sea?
3. Complete this analogy from Chapter 4:Time in a Bottle: Time is to clock as mind is to ____________.
4. Were Harrison's clocks in working order before being taken for tests at the Royal Observatory?
5. Who won the Hooke/Huygens conflict?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)