|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mildred trying to hide the last time Rosacoke saw her?
2. What is the name of this novel?
3. What is one of the things that Rosacoke mentions in her letter to Wesley?
4. What does Rosacoke want to know when she sends another letter?
5. Where does Rosacoke decide to cool off on the way home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosacoke plan to do when it gets too late after visiting with Mildred's family?
2. What had Rosacoke hoped the army would do for Rato?
3. What is an important theme in the story?
4. What is the nature of Wesley's Thanksgiving invitation to Rosacoke?
5. Which two characters seem to have a stable relationship in the story so far?
6. Why is Rosacoke needed so urgently at the church?
7. What does Wesley do while Rosacoke is at the funeral?
8. Who barges into Mr. Isaac's home in search of Rosacoke?
9. Describe the letter that Wesley sends as a response to Rosacoke's not accepting his Thanksgiving invitation.
10. How is Mrs. Mustian impacted by a life of unfulfilled affection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mrs. Mustian. What is her relationship with her children? What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Mrs. Mustiann's character in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the story. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Rosacoke. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)