|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cause of Mildred's death?
2. Why does Rosacoke not want to go to the picnic?
3. Which of the following of Rosacoke's family members did NOT attend the picnic?
4. Why is Rato missing from the picnic?
5. How old is Rosacoke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rosacoke's major dilemma as presented in Chapter 1?
2. Why do the Mustians like Mr. Isaac so well?
3. Describe the ride in Wesley's car and the intimate encounter that ensues.
4. What does Rosacoke plan to do when it gets too late after visiting with Mildred's family?
5. Why is Rosacoke needed so urgently at the church?
6. What is the nature of Wesley's Thanksgiving invitation to Rosacoke?
7. How does the frustration on unfulfilled affection touch Mildred?
8. What is it about the the passengers on the plane that both shocks and hurts Rosacoke?
9. What happens to make Rosacoke think about her unborn child during the pageant?
10. What are Rosacoke's expectations vs. what she receives from Wesley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1960s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mrs. Mustian. What is her relationship with her children? What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Mrs. Mustiann's character in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of pre-marital sex in the 1960s. Compare and contrast pre-marital sex in America during the 1960s to pre-marital sex in America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)