|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Sammy come out to the pond?
(a) To see what has disturbed the guineas.
(b) To dig for nightcrawlers.
(c) To do some midnight fishing.
(d) To go skinny dipping.
2. What does Rosacoke notice about the letter she receives from Wesley?
(a) He misspelled her name.
(b) There is still no mention that he loves her.
(c) The postmark was not from Roanoke.
(d) He has new stationery.
3. What does Rosacoke do with the letter she writes to Wesley?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Sets it aside.
(c) Shreds it.
(d) Mails it.
4. Why does Wesley write a letter to Rosacoke the following week?
(a) To apologize.
(b) To send her money.
(c) To invite her for Thanksgiving.
(d) To propose to her.
5. Who has not shown up for church services?
6. How many children does Rosacoke's mother have?
7. Who interrupts Sammy and Rosacoke's conversation?
(a) Miss Minnie.
(b) Miss Marina.
(c) Miss Melissa.
(d) Miss Marnie.
8. How does Wesley radically alter the romantic mood between Rosacoke and Wesley?
(a) He answers his cell phone.
(b) He makes fun of her ears.
(c) He calls out another girl's name in the heat of passion.
(d) He tells her he is engaged to someone else.
9. What kind of animal runs across the road?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A deer.
(c) A skunk.
(d) A groundhog.
10. Why does Rosacoke tell Wesley that she can't spend Thanksgiving with him?
(a) She has to study.
(b) She is going skiing with friends.
(c) She is in love with someone else.
(d) The family is in mourning.
11. Which of the following does Rosacoke NOT tell Wesley in a letter?
(a) She takes responsibility for what happened.
(b) She broke her leg.
(c) She won't be surprised if he doesn't come see her at Christmas.
(d) She is pregnant.
12. Why is the relationship between Rosacoke and Mildred and Sammy significant in the 1960s?
(a) The war in Vietnam is unpopular in the South.
(b) They all met Martin Luther King Jr. at a rally.
(c) Segregation is the rule in Southern states.
(d) Social standing is still prevalent in the South.
13. Why is Rosacoke's family in mourning?
(a) Sissie's baby was born dead.
(b) Milo has died.
(c) Rosacoke's mother has died.
(d) Rato has died.
14. What does Rosacoke decide to do so as not to arouse any suspicions about her possible pregnancy?
(a) Get up early for work and do chores until midnight.
(b) Volunteer at the hospital.
(c) Take a night class.
(d) Tutor some grade school kids.
15. What news does Rosacoke give Wesley in a letter?
(a) She is in love with him.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is going away to college.
(d) She is engaged.
Short Answer Questions
1. The situation of Rosacoke's pregnancy at the time of her brother's baby dying is what type of literary technique?
2. Who is Sammy?
3. What does Milo do in the weeks following the death of the baby?
4. Where are Wesley and his brother when Rosacoke approaches the house?
5. Who is the person carrying the lantern?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)