|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colonel Marx ask Nelson in Chapter 92?
2. What type of tournaments do they hold on Christmas day, in Chapter 71?
3. Who does Nelson use as a model to support moving the ANC into a more militant movement?
4. What is Nelson's new military arm of the ANC named?
5. What is Nelson finally able to receive in Chapter 83?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nelson wear to his trial in Chapter 51 and why?
2. What does Lieutenant Van Wyck say to the prisoners in Chapter 59?
3. Why does Nelson travel back to Addis Ababa after his visit to London in Chapter 48?
4. Why is Nelson placed in solitary confinement in Chapter 52?
5. How does Nelson describe "living underground" in Chapter 40?
6. How does prison life improve for the inmates of Robben Island by Chapter 71?
7. What does Nelson learn when Bram and Joel come to visit the prisoners?
8. What does Jimmy Kruger offer Nelson in Chapter 79, and how does Nelson respond?
9. Why is Nelson charged in Chapter 77 and what is he charged with?
10. How is Nelson's prison stay at Victor Verster different from his previous imprisonments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Nelson's tactics over the course of the book. How does he continue to fight for freedom year after year? What specific tactics does he use to achieve that freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Based on the response of South Africans when Nelson is released from prison, what impact does Nelson have on those around him?
Essay Topic 3
Nelson is imprisoned with other ANC, political freedom fighters. Why is Nelson selected as president? Consider what he did while in prison and what he does when he is released.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)