|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of John-John's talents?
2. How does Victor's family watch television?
3. What does Victor's mother think of the Indian community?
4. What does Victor imagine that an Indian invents?
5. What does Victor's father not know about the man who disappears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are the characters on the Spokane Indian reservation opposed to assimilation into the mainstream culture? Why do the the reservation Indians shun the urban Indians? Is it likely that a person's cultural background is totally erased? Use evidence from the book in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In his stories, Alexie frequently includes details of everyday contemporary life and pop culture. What effect does this have? What do these details contribute to the tone and texture of the stories? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how irony is used by the author. How effective is the use of irony in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)