|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Victor and the waitress try to become intimate?
2. What does Victor think about Indian names?
3. How old is Victor when he is introduced to the reader?
4. What is Victor's father's view on war?
5. What do Victor's uncles do at the holiday party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the clerk at the 7-11 think Victor is a criminal?
2. How does Thomas Builds-a-Fire assist Victor after his father dies?
3. What is Victor scared about in life when he discusses the bingo scenario?
4. What are Thomas Builds-a-Fire's views on story telling?
5. What happens at Thomas Builds-a-Fire's trial?
6. How does Victor piece his family history together?
7. What is Victor's commentary on sober Indians?
8. Why does Victor's sisters put food coloring in the potatoes while growing up?
9. Who are the Urban Indians?
10. What is Dirty Joe's condition when Sadie and Victor find him at the carnival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why basketball is important in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Explain how two or three of the purposes the motif serves are related to one another. Use examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Sherman Alexie says "My only purpose is to teach children to rebel against authority figures." Is there evidence of this advice in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven? Use specifics from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why are the characters on the Spokane Indian reservation opposed to assimilation into the mainstream culture? Why do the the reservation Indians shun the urban Indians? Is it likely that a person's cultural background is totally erased? Use evidence from the book in your answer.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)