|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Victor's father in the 1960's?
2. Why does Victor's father buy a motorcycle?
3. Who is with Victor when they see Dirty Joe at the carnival?
4. How does Victor play with the BB gun when he and Adrian are together?
5. What does Victor demonstrate about the whole situation on the reservation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John-John imagine when he thinks he hears a jet land outside?
2. What are Thomas Builds-a-Fire's views on story telling?
3. Why does Victor's sisters put food coloring in the potatoes while growing up?
4. What are the "hurricanes" that are plaguing the Indian reservation?
5. What does the Witness Protection Program ask Victor's father about?
6. What is John-John's explanation for having two names?
7. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
8. What happens after Victor's aunt gives birth?
9. Why do Victor's father and mother divorce?
10. Why does Victor join Alcoholics Anonymous?
Essay Topic 1
Show how the significance of the title of the novel is developed through the author's use of devices such as contrast, repetition, allusion, and point of view. Cite specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Alexie subtly creates a message that the tribal world is eroding. How does this threat to the culture affect the characters? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why are the characters on the Spokane Indian reservation opposed to assimilation into the mainstream culture? Why do the the reservation Indians shun the urban Indians? Is it likely that a person's cultural background is totally erased? Use evidence from the book in your answer.
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)