Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Victor and his teammates pass the time at the state basketball finals?
2. What do Victor and the waitress discuss at her place?
3. Why does an Indian bring a watch to a Tribal Council meeting?
4. What happens to Dirty Joe during the incident at the carnival?
5. Why is Victor's friend able to afford beer for the party at the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of hallucinations do Victor and Junior have while taking a new drug at the lake?
2. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
3. What does Victor's mother think about the stories Victor writes?
4. How does Thomas Builds-a-Fire assist Victor after his father dies?
5. Why does Samuel-Builds-a-Fire not have anything to drink in the past?
6. Who are the Urban Indians?
7. What does Victor do when the waitress invites him back to her Winnebago?
8. What happens to Victor's parents at the New Year's Eve party in 1976?
9. How does Victor convince the carny to assist Sadie and him with their incident with Dirty Joe at the Carnival?
10. What happens when Victor and Adrian are drinking Pepsi's on the front porch?
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of Victor looking at himself in the mirrors in the house of mirrors at the carnival? How does this symbolism relate to the rest of the novel? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of family and Alexie's presentation of the family on the reservation. What does it consist of? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Show how the significance of the title of the novel is developed through the author's use of devices such as contrast, repetition, allusion, and point of view. Cite specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)