Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Victor and his teammates pass the time at the state basketball finals?
2. What do Victor and the waitress discuss at her place?
3. Why does an Indian bring a watch to a Tribal Council meeting?
4. What happens to Dirty Joe during the incident at the carnival?
5. Why is Victor's friend able to afford beer for the party at the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of hallucinations do Victor and Junior have while taking a new drug at the lake?
2. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
3. What does Victor's mother think about the stories Victor writes?
4. How does Thomas Builds-a-Fire assist Victor after his father dies?
5. Why does Samuel-Builds-a-Fire not have anything to drink in the past?
6. Who are the Urban Indians?
7. What does Victor do when the waitress invites him back to her Winnebago?
8. What happens to Victor's parents at the New Year's Eve party in 1976?
9. How does Victor convince the carny to assist Sadie and him with their incident with Dirty Joe at the Carnival?
10. What happens when Victor and Adrian are drinking Pepsi's on the front porch?
Essay Topic 1
What does Sherman Alexie mean by "reservation realism"? Use examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
What is Victor's relationship with religion and tradition? Why does he have a sudden need for tradition when his father dies? How is the past both a destructive and a redemptive force in the novel? Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Why are the characters on the Spokane Indian reservation opposed to assimilation into the mainstream culture? Why do the the reservation Indians shun the urban Indians? Is it likely that a person's cultural background is totally erased? Use evidence from the book in your answer.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)