|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Victor and his companion eventually do with Dirty Joe at the carnival?
2. What is one of Dirty Joe's distinguishing features?
3. According to Victor, what is it difficult to be on the reservation?
4. What "crime" does Thomas Builds-a-Fire commit twenty years ago?
5. How does Victor try to bond with his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Victor join Alcoholics Anonymous?
2. What does Norma say about Indians?
3. What does Victor do when the waitress invites him back to her Winnebago?
4. What does Victor's mother think about the stories Victor writes?
5. How do Victor and his friend Adrian play with a BB gun?
6. What is Victor's opinion about 7-11 stores?
7. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
8. What does Victor do when the waitress flirts with him at the fry bread stand?
9. What is the attitude toward the baby born of a red father and white mother at a barbecue?
10. How does Victor try to communicate and bond with his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how irony is used by the author. How effective is the use of irony in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How do the characters in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven build myths around gifted individuals? Does this practice bolster or erode a sense of pride in the characters? How? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Alexie use Victor and Thomas to typify two stereotypical roles of the warrior and shaman? How do these stereotyped characters function to achieve the author's purpose? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)