|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Victor do when the waitress flirts with him?
2. What happens when Victor's basketball team goes to the state finals in high school?
3. Why does baby James have a dent in his head?
4. How does Adrian play with the BB gun when he and Victor are together?
5. What is Victor's father unable to buy the year before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Thomas Builds-a-Fire's trial?
2. What is John-John's explanation for having two names?
3. What does Victor think the trouble on the Indian reservation stems from?
4. What type of hallucinations do Victor and Junior have while taking a new drug at the lake?
5. How does Victor piece his family history together?
6. Why is Jimmy One-horse's wife mad at him?
7. What do Victor's sisters do when they are really hungry?
8. Who are the Urban Indians?
9. What does Victor do when the waitress invites him back to her Winnebago?
10. What happens to Samuel-Builds-a-Fire on his birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How important is humor in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven? What sort of humor prevails? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why are the characters on the Spokane Indian reservation opposed to assimilation into the mainstream culture? Why do the the reservation Indians shun the urban Indians? Is it likely that a person's cultural background is totally erased? Use evidence from the book in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Alexie use Victor and Thomas to typify two stereotypical roles of the warrior and shaman? How do these stereotyped characters function to achieve the author's purpose? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)