|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Victor, what happens every day on the reservation?
2. What is Victor's philosophy toward drinking?
3. According to Victor, what is it difficult to be on the reservation?
4. Where does Victor meet a flirtatious waitress?
5. Where does the flirtatious waitress invite Victor after the see each other for the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Samuel-Builds-a-Fire not have anything to drink in the past?
2. What happens to Sadie and Victor after the incident with Dirty Joe at the carnival?
3. What are the "hurricanes" that are plaguing the Indian reservation?
4. What is Victor's commentary on sober Indians?
5. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
6. What happens when Victor's high school basketball team makes it to the finals during his senior year in high school?
7. What is Victor's attitude when he is drinking and missing his white lover?
8. How does Victor's father kill a man?
9. What happens to Victor's aunt and a mouse?
10. Why does the clerk at the 7-11 think Victor is a criminal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of family and Alexie's presentation of the family on the reservation. What does it consist of? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Drinking and alcoholism is a pervasive theme in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Sherman Alexie is criticized for promoting stereotypes of the drunk Indian. Do you agree with this critique? What does Alexie's portrayal of drinking on the reservation say about his sensibility as a writer? Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
How important is humor in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven? What sort of humor prevails? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)