|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a hallucination that Victor and his friend have at the lake?
2. What does Victor's father do when Victor tries to bond with him?
3. Why is the situation in jail like a war?
4. How do Victor and his teammates pass the time at the state basketball finals?
5. Why is Victor's father against fighting for the United States in the Vietnam War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
2. How does Victor piece his family history together?
3. Why does Junior fall in love with the blonde girl in his history class?
4. What happens to Victor's aunt and a mouse?
5. What happens to Sadie and Victor after the incident with Dirty Joe at the carnival?
6. What is the attitude toward the baby born of a red father and white mother at a barbecue?
7. How does Thomas Builds-a-Fire assist Victor after his father dies?
8. How does Victor try to communicate and bond with his father?
9. Why does baby James have a dent in his head?
10. What happens when Victor and Adrian are drinking Pepsi's on the front porch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Victor's relationship with religion and tradition? Why does he have a sudden need for tradition when his father dies? How is the past both a destructive and a redemptive force in the novel? Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how irony is used by the author. How effective is the use of irony in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In his stories, Alexie frequently includes details of everyday contemporary life and pop culture. What effect does this have? What do these details contribute to the tone and texture of the stories? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)