|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Victor and his teammates pass the time at the state basketball finals?
2. What is the result of the state final basketball game that Victor's high school team plays?
3. What condition does Victor suffer from when his white lover leaves him?
4. Why are reservation Indians unable to marry Urban Indians?
5. What do onlookers do when they see Dirty Joe at the carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Victor, what kind of economic development do their ancestors laugh about?
2. How does Victor try to communicate and bond with his father?
3. What happens when Victor and Adrian are drinking Pepsi's on the front porch?
4. What are the "hurricanes" that are plaguing the Indian reservation?
5. What happens when Victor drives to a wealthy neighborhood after he has a fight with his girlfriend?
6. Why is Victor amazed at the waitress he meets at the fry bread stand?
7. How does Thomas Builds-a-Fire assist Victor after his father dies?
8. Who are the Urban Indians?
9. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
10. What is the story that Jimmy One-horse tells about he and his wife being pulled over by a police officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do missing fathers impact some of the stories in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven? How does this lack contribute to Victor's feeling of abandonment? Use specific answers from the the book in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how irony is used by the author. How effective is the use of irony in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is Victor's relationship with religion and tradition? Why does he have a sudden need for tradition when his father dies? How is the past both a destructive and a redemptive force in the novel? Use examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)