|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Thomas Builds-a-Fire sent to prison after his trial?
2. What "crime" does Thomas Builds-a-Fire commit twenty years ago?
3. What does Victor decide to do after the state final basketball game?
4. Why does Victor take baby James home to take care of him?
5. According to Victor, what do their ancestors laugh at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Thomas Builds-a-Fire's views on story telling?
2. What major episode occurs during a New Year's Eve party in 1976?
3. What is the story that Jimmy One-horse tells about he and his wife being pulled over by a police officer?
4. Why does Junior fall in love with the blonde girl in his history class?
5. How does Victor convince the carny to assist Sadie and him with their incident with Dirty Joe at the Carnival?
6. What are the "hurricanes" that are plaguing the Indian reservation?
7. Why does baby James have a dent in his head?
8. What happens to Sadie and Victor after the incident with Dirty Joe at the carnival?
9. What happens when Victor and Adrian are drinking Pepsi's on the front porch?
10. According to Victor, what kind of economic development do their ancestors laugh about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alexie uses literal and figurative references to weather throughout The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. What effect does this have in creating a connection of natural forces and humans? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of Victor looking at himself in the mirrors in the house of mirrors at the carnival? How does this symbolism relate to the rest of the novel? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How is the idea of salvation featured in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven? Use examples from the book to support your response.
This section contains 1,471 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)