|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Victor live?
2. How old is Victor when he is introduced to the reader?
3. Where does the flirtatious waitress invite Victor after the see each other for the second time?
4. How does Thomas Builds-a-Fire help Victor when they are children?
5. What happens to Victor after a night of drinking when his white lover leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Victor scared about in life when he discusses the bingo scenario?
2. What is Victor's father's view on war?
3. What does Victor's mother think about the stories Victor writes?
4. Why is the tribal council burning houses?
5. What is the attitude toward the baby born of a red father and white mother at a barbecue?
6. What event leads Thomas Builds-a-Fire to stop telling stories?
7. What does Victor do when the waitress flirts with him at the fry bread stand?
8. What happens to Sadie and Victor after the incident with Dirty Joe at the carnival?
9. Why does Samuel-Builds-a-Fire not have anything to drink in the past?
10. What is Victor's commentary about the situation on the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Sherman Alexie mean by "reservation realism"? Use examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of family and Alexie's presentation of the family on the reservation. What does it consist of? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In his stories, Alexie frequently includes details of everyday contemporary life and pop culture. What effect does this have? What do these details contribute to the tone and texture of the stories? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)