|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Victor, who has money on the reservation?
2. Who assists Victor and his companion with Dirty Joe at the carnival?
3. Why are the Indians burning down a house?
4. How do Victor and his friend describe the drug they take?
5. How does Thomas Builds-a-Fire help Victor when they are children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Victor's father do during the 1960s?
2. What is the attitude toward the baby born of a red father and white mother at a barbecue?
3. What is Victor's commentary about the situation on the reservation?
4. What does Victor observe in the eighth grade?
5. What happens when Victor drives to a wealthy neighborhood after he has a fight with his girlfriend?
6. What is Victor's opinion about Indian names?
7. What is Victor scared about in life when he discusses the bingo scenario?
8. What major episode occurs during a New Year's Eve party in 1976?
9. Why is Victor amazed at the waitress he meets at the fry bread stand?
10. Why does baby James have a dent in his head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do missing fathers impact some of the stories in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven? How does this lack contribute to Victor's feeling of abandonment? Use specific answers from the the book in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Alexie use Victor and Thomas to typify two stereotypical roles of the warrior and shaman? How do these stereotyped characters function to achieve the author's purpose? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do the characters in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven build myths around gifted individuals? Does this practice bolster or erode a sense of pride in the characters? How? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)