|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Victor refer to the situation on the reservation as "hurricanes"?
(a) Because it spawns smaller "storm".
(b) Because the people have to wait for the government to step in.
(c) Because it devastates peoples' lives.
(d) Because it peaks during late summer.
2. What condition does Victor suffer from when his white lover leaves him?
(c) The flu.
(d) A migraine.
3. What does Victor's father tell him about his mother?
(a) That she is wonderful.
(b) That she is a distant wife.
(c) That she is cantankerous.
(d) That she is the glue that holds the family together.
4. Why is Thomas Builds-a-Fire been incarcerated recently?
(a) He calls the tribal police chief's wife "a savage in polyester pants".
(b) He calls the tribal school principal's wife "a traitor in pumps".
(c) He calls the tribal doctor's wife "a native with dangling shiny objects".
(d) He calls the tribal fire chief's wife "a heathen with heavy makeup".
5. Why are reservation Indians unable to marry Urban Indians?
(a) The Urban Indians lose all rights and privileges afforded to those on the reservation.
(b) They live too far away.
(c) It is believed that the Urban Indians have contracted illnesses.
(d) Because of the Indian Resettlement Act.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dirty Joe's condition at the carnival?
2. What does Victor think about Indian names?
3. Who is with Victor when they see Dirty Joe at the carnival?
4. What does the bingo game that Victor discusses after his experience with the waitress represent to him?
5. How do Victor and his friend describe the drug they take?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does baby James have a dent in his head?
2. What happens to Victor's parents at the New Year's Eve party in 1976?
3. How does Victor try to communicate and bond with his father?
4. What happens when Victor's high school basketball team makes it to the finals during his senior year in high school?
5. What is the attitude toward the baby born of a red father and white mother at a barbecue?
6. What does John-John imagine when he thinks he hears a jet land outside?
7. Why is Victor amazed at the waitress he meets at the fry bread stand?
8. What is Victor's commentary on sober Indians?
9. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
10. What happens to Sadie and Victor after the incident with Dirty Joe at the carnival?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)