|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of John-John's talents?
(a) Telling stories.
(d) Playing basketball.
2. What happens after Nora visits the Powwow Tavern?
(a) She stops by her mother's grave.
(b) She usually takes someone home with her.
(c) She passes out.
(d) She stops by a diner.
3. What happens to John-John's brother Joseph?
(a) He is killed in the Vietnam War.
(b) He is wounded.
(c) He is a deserter.
(d) He is taken as a prisoner of war.
4. When does Jimmy One-horse's wife return after leaving him?
(a) When she has a change of heart.
(b) When Jimmy is hospitalized.
(c) When her mother dies.
(d) When Jimmy pleas with her to return.
5. What does Victor think about Nora?
(a) That she is extremely careless.
(b) That he might have a crush on her.
(c) That she makes a good wife for some lucky man.
(d) That he highly respects her.
6. What does Victor's father describe while starting a car in the winter?
(a) The first car his family owns.
(b) The first television show he sees.
(c) Not owning a pair of snow boots while growing up.
(d) The cruel treatment he experiences in school while growing up.
7. How does the grass feel to Victor at the barbecue?
8. What is John-John's explanation for having two names?
(a) He is named after his Uncle John and his Grandfather John.
(b) It is a mistake made on his birth certificare.
(c) Because it is easier to remember.
(d) His parents like the rhythmic sound.
9. What hurtful thing does John-John imagine about Joseph's return?
(a) Joseph reprimanding him for not taking better care of their mother.
(b) Joseph reprimanding him for not writing.
(c) That Joseph does not remember him.
(d) Saying he is home briefly then leaves again.
10. What is held up at the barbecue?
(a) A baby.
(b) A fist.
(c) A picture.
(d) A can of beer.
11. What does Victor say about life off of the reservation?
(a) It is like heaven.
(b) It makes him paranoid.
(c) It is mesmerizing.
(d) It is like a bad dream you never wake up from.
12. How do sober Indians treat drunken Indians?
(a) With disdain.
(b) With humor.
(c) With infinite patience.
(d) With sympathy.
13. Who does Uncle Moses befriend?
14. Where does Junior Polatkin attend college?
(a) Walla Walla College.
(b) Whitman College.
(c) Eastern Washington University.
(d) Gonzaga University.
15. Where does John-John sit waiting for Joseph to come home?
(a) On the front porch.
(b) On the roof.
(c) By the window.
(d) In the yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Junior drop out of college?
2. What does Victor imagine happens to Christopher Columbus?
3. Why is one of Victor's girlfriends afraid of him?
4. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
5. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's reaction to the news he receives at work?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)