|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Victor use to explain different events in his life?
(a) The grades he is in during school.
(b) By the cars his family own.
(c) The periods after each sibling is born.
(d) The television.
2. What does Victor talk about during his high school years?
3. What happens after Nora visits the Powwow Tavern?
(a) She stops by her mother's grave.
(b) She usually takes someone home with her.
(c) She passes out.
(d) She stops by a diner.
4. Where does Jimmy One-horse and his wife first meet?
(a) In high school.
(b) At the Powwow Tavern.
(c) At a party.
(d) At Cindy's fry bread stand.
5. How do sober Indians treat drunken Indians?
(a) With sympathy.
(b) With infinite patience.
(c) With humor.
(d) With disdain.
6. Why does the 7-11 clerk think Victor is a criminal?
(a) Because he has his hand in his pocket.
(b) Because he has long black hair and he is an Indian.
(c) He looks like a man whose picture is hanging in the store.
(d) Because he has a tattoo that looks like a prison gang tattoo.
7. When does Victor have his first experiences with drugs?
(a) In the fourth and fifth grades.
(b) In the fifth and sixth grades.
(c) In the seventh and eighth grades.
(d) In the sixth and seventh grades.
8. What does Victor's teacher want him to do in the second grade?
(a) To apologize for everything and cut off his braids.
(b) To do his homework at school because she does not think he is doing his own work.
(c) To write with his right hand and wear cleaner clothing.
(d) To perform math problems on the board in front of the class and testify before the state court about how his parents are mistreating him.
9. What does Junior Polatkin tell the blonde girl what it is like being an Indian at the university?
(a) Like he is in an aquarium.
(b) Like a celebrity.
(d) Like an outcast.
10. How does Junior Polatkin and the blonde girl's short relationship end?
(a) They have a really big fight.
(b) The blonde girl becomes pregnant and has the baby.
(c) Junior's parents forbid him to see her.
(d) The blonde girl runs off with another guy.
11. How much money does Victor's father give to a broke Indian?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Some pocket change.
(c) Enough for a meal.
(d) Enough to buy some alcohol.
12. Why does Junior drop out of college?
(a) Because of the stress caused by his relationship with the blonde girl.
(b) He is struggling in his classes.
(c) Because of his history teacher's treatment.
(d) He is homesick.
13. Why do Victor and his girlfriend once fight in the dark?
(a) Because she does not pay her electric bill.
(b) Because it is more romantic.
(c) Because they pay more attention to what they are saying.
(d) Because Victor breaks all of the lamps.
14. How does Victor describe Uncle Moses?
(a) A man of great virtue.
(b) He is the town drunk.
(c) An embarassment to the family.
(d) A man that is remembered by all.
15. To Victor, what about an Indian boy is beautiful?
(a) His hair.
(b) His laughter.
(c) His hands.
(d) His eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Victor's equation for survival?
2. Why does Victor's mother not like the stories he writes?
3. What does Victor's father describe while starting a car in the winter?
4. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's talent?
5. Where is the location for Victor's imagination?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)