|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Victor describe Uncle Moses?
(a) He is the town drunk.
(b) A man of great virtue.
(c) An embarassment to the family.
(d) A man that is remembered by all.
2. What happens when Victor drives into a wealthy neighborhood?
(a) Several people ask him what he is doing there.
(b) He is pulled over by a police officer.
(c) People stare at him.
(d) His car breaks down.
3. What does Victor's mother think of the Indian community?
(a) That they are a lost cause.
(b) That they are admirable people with great strength.
(c) That they are victims.
(d) That they are given gifts.
4. What does Victor consider censorship in the third grade?
(a) When a story he writes about his family life is taken away.
(b) When he is asked to return to his desk and be quiet after talking about life on the reservation.
(c) When his comic book is taken away.
(d) When his drawing is confiscated.
5. What is Victor's equation for survival?
(a) Survival = Skills X Stamina.
(b) Survival = Ingenuity X Stamina.
(c) Survival = Determination X Imagination.
(d) Survival = Anger X Imagination.
6. What does Victor not understand in the eighth grade?
(a) Why girls shoplift when they have the money to afford the items they steal.
(b) Why white children are not arrested for curfew and children of color are.
(c) Why girls starve themselves through anorexia and bulemia when he is involuntarily starving on the reservation.
(d) Why Indian boys are rounded up when white boys throw rocks through a store window.
7. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's reaction to the news he receives at work?
(a) He goes to a friend's house.
(b) He goes to a bar.
(c) He goes home.
(d) He goes to a park.
8. What does John-John imagine he hears?
(a) A helicopter landing.
(b) A ship coming into port.
(c) A bus.
(d) A jet landing.
9. Why does the police officer give the money back to Jimmy One-horse and his wife?
(a) They say they write a letter to the editor of the local paper and warn other Indians to be wary of crooked police officers.
(b) Because they say they write letters to his department that say the officer is polite and obeys the law.
(c) Because the couple is so nice and Jimmy One-horse's wife starts to cry.
(d) They threaten to talk to the police chief.
10. Where does Victor find a new job?
(b) Walla Walla.
(d) Grand Culee.
11. How do sober Indians treat drunken Indians?
(a) With humor.
(b) With disdain.
(c) With sympathy.
(d) With infinite patience.
12. What gift does the person whom Uncle Moses befriends have?
(a) Playing basketball.
13. Why do Victor's sisters put food coloring in the potatoes while growing up?
(a) Because they think it looks pretty.
(b) Because they think the meal looks too bland.
(c) To imagine they are eating different foods.
(d) Because they could not afford Play-doh.
14. What is the nature of the gift that the person whom Uncle Moses befriends?
(c) Not marketable.
15. What does Victor compare diabetes to?
(a) A lover.
(b) A good friend.
(c) A kidnapper.
(d) A temptress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Victor think about Nora?
2. What happens to Samuel-builds-a-fire on the railroad tracks?
3. What does Jimmy One-horse's wife think about the man with whom she has an affair?
4. What hurtful thing does John-John imagine about Joseph's return?
5. What happens to Victor in the first grade?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)