|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Victor's teacher want him to do in the second grade?
(a) To write with his right hand and wear cleaner clothing.
(b) To perform math problems on the board in front of the class and testify before the state court about how his parents are mistreating him.
(c) To apologize for everything and cut off his braids.
(d) To do his homework at school because she does not think he is doing his own work.
2. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's job title?
(a) Maid at a motel.
(b) Construction worker.
(c) Store clerk.
3. What does Victor imagine that an Indian invents?
(a) The A-bomb.
(c) The telephone.
(d) The automatic machine gun.
4. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
(a) He plays a piano.
(b) He participates in a potato sack race.
(c) He talks to his cousin.
(d) He drinks.
5. What do Victor's sisters do when they are very hungry while growing up?
(a) They make mud pies in the yard.
(b) They beg for food.
(c) They scrape food from the table with their teeth.
(d) They dig through dumptsters.
6. What does John-John imagine he hears?
(a) A ship coming into port.
(b) A bus.
(c) A jet landing.
(d) A helicopter landing.
7. Where does Junior Polatkin attend college?
(a) Walla Walla College.
(b) Eastern Washington University.
(c) Whitman College.
(d) Gonzaga University.
8. What news does Samuel-builds-a-fire receive at work?
(a) His boss is arrested.
(b) A co-worker passes away.
(c) He is doing a different job.
(d) He is being let go from his job.
9. What is the nature of the gift that the person whom Uncle Moses befriends?
(d) Not marketable.
10. Why does Junior drop out of college?
(a) Because of the stress caused by his relationship with the blonde girl.
(b) Because of his history teacher's treatment.
(c) He is homesick.
(d) He is struggling in his classes.
11. How do sober Indians treat drunken Indians?
(a) With sympathy.
(b) With infinite patience.
(c) With disdain.
(d) With humor.
12. What does Victor say about life off of the reservation?
(a) It makes him paranoid.
(b) It is like heaven.
(c) It is mesmerizing.
(d) It is like a bad dream you never wake up from.
13. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's talent?
(a) Playing the trumpet.
(b) Playing basketball.
(d) Telling stories.
14. Why is one of Victor's girlfriends afraid of him?
(a) Because he seems mentally unstable.
(b) Because he is often angry.
(c) Because he is an Indian.
(d) Because he is always writing and she does not know what he writes.
15. What does Victor's father describe while starting a car in the winter?
(a) The first television show he sees.
(b) The cruel treatment he experiences in school while growing up.
(c) Not owning a pair of snow boots while growing up.
(d) The first car his family owns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Victor's sisters put food coloring in the potatoes while growing up?
2. When does Victor have his first experiences with drugs?
3. What does Victor's father not know about the man who disappears?
4. What does Victor use to explain different events in his life?
5. What does Junior Polatkin tell the blonde girl what it is like being an Indian at the university?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)