|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nora say about the Indian people?
(a) They are shiftless and lazy.
(b) They are the most sensitive people.
(c) They are given a bad deal.
(d) They are honorable people.
2. Where is the location for Victor's imagination?
(a) A bar.
(b) His back porch.
(c) A gas station.
(d) The 7-11.
3. What happens to Victor in the first grade?
(a) He is placed in the back of the classroom and ignored.
(b) He is repeatedly asked to go to the principal's office for disruptive behavior.
(c) He is put in the lowest reading group.
(d) He is teased by bullies.
4. What do Victor's sisters do when they are very hungry while growing up?
(a) They scrape food from the table with their teeth.
(b) They dig through dumptsters.
(c) They beg for food.
(d) They make mud pies in the yard.
5. What does Jimmy One-horse's wife think about the man with whom she has an affair?
(a) He is too flirtatious.
(b) He drinks too much.
(c) He is too serious.
(d) He is too self-absorbed.
6. How does Victor describe Uncle Moses?
(a) An embarassment to the family.
(b) A man of great virtue.
(c) A man that is remembered by all.
(d) He is the town drunk.
7. What does John-John imagine he hears?
(a) A bus.
(b) A jet landing.
(c) A ship coming into port.
(d) A helicopter landing.
8. What happens to John-John's brother Joseph?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He is taken as a prisoner of war.
(c) He is a deserter.
(d) He is killed in the Vietnam War.
9. What does Victor talk about during his high school years?
10. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's reaction to the news he receives at work?
(a) He goes to a friend's house.
(b) He goes to a bar.
(c) He goes home.
(d) He goes to a park.
11. What is Victor's equation for survival?
(a) Survival = Determination X Imagination.
(b) Survival = Anger X Imagination.
(c) Survival = Ingenuity X Stamina.
(d) Survival = Skills X Stamina.
12. Why do Victor's sisters put food coloring in the potatoes while growing up?
(a) Because they could not afford Play-doh.
(b) Because they think it looks pretty.
(c) Because they think the meal looks too bland.
(d) To imagine they are eating different foods.
13. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's talent?
(b) Telling stories.
(c) Playing the trumpet.
(d) Playing basketball.
14. What happens to Samuel-builds-a-fire on the railroad tracks?
(a) He gets mugged.
(b) He passes out with a train headed straight toward him.
(c) His foot gets caught in the railroad ties.
(d) He meets a hobo who shares his dinner.
15. What does Victor use to explain different events in his life?
(a) The grades he is in during school.
(b) The television.
(c) The periods after each sibling is born.
(d) By the cars his family own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of John-John's talents?
2. What does Victor not understand in the eighth grade?
3. Why is one of Victor's girlfriends afraid of him?
4. Why is Victor's father not surprised an acquaintance disappears when he is questioned by the Witness Protection Program?
5. What hurtful thing does John-John imagine about Joseph's return?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)