|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Victor find a new job?
(b) Grand Culee.
(c) Walla Walla.
2. What happens to Victor in the first grade?
(a) He is teased by bullies.
(b) He is placed in the back of the classroom and ignored.
(c) He is put in the lowest reading group.
(d) He is repeatedly asked to go to the principal's office for disruptive behavior.
3. Where does Junior Polatkin attend college?
(a) Eastern Washington University.
(b) Whitman College.
(c) Walla Walla College.
(d) Gonzaga University.
4. Why does Junior Polatkin fall in love with the blonde girl in history class?
(a) He thinks she is attractive.
(b) He thinks she is smart.
(c) He believes she understands what it is like for Indians.
(d) He believes she is very worldly.
5. What is Victor's equation for survival?
(a) Survival = Ingenuity X Stamina.
(b) Survival = Skills X Stamina.
(c) Survival = Anger X Imagination.
(d) Survival = Determination X Imagination.
6. What happens to John-John's brother Joseph?
(a) He is a deserter.
(b) He is wounded.
(c) He is taken as a prisoner of war.
(d) He is killed in the Vietnam War.
7. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's job title?
(a) Maid at a motel.
(b) Construction worker.
(c) Store clerk.
8. How does Victor's family watch television?
(a) So loud that it distorts their conversations.
(b) With the sound down so they can talk about what they are watching.
(c) In the dining room so they do not dwell on not having enough food.
(d) In black and white.
9. What hurtful thing does John-John imagine about Joseph's return?
(a) Joseph reprimanding him for not writing.
(b) That Joseph does not remember him.
(c) Saying he is home briefly then leaves again.
(d) Joseph reprimanding him for not taking better care of their mother.
10. What do Victor's sisters do when they are very hungry while growing up?
(a) They dig through dumptsters.
(b) They make mud pies in the yard.
(c) They scrape food from the table with their teeth.
(d) They beg for food.
11. What happens when Victor drives into a wealthy neighborhood?
(a) His car breaks down.
(b) People stare at him.
(c) Several people ask him what he is doing there.
(d) He is pulled over by a police officer.
12. What happens to Samuel-builds-a-fire on the railroad tracks?
(a) He meets a hobo who shares his dinner.
(b) He passes out with a train headed straight toward him.
(c) He gets mugged.
(d) His foot gets caught in the railroad ties.
13. What does Victor try to figure out every year between the age of thirteen to twenty-five?
(a) What it means to be a man.
(b) The mysteries of women.
(c) What it means to be thirteen.
(d) Where to get his next high.
14. What creates beauty?
(a) Fallen flower petals.
(b) A cracked piece of glass.
(c) A smile on a child's face.
(d) A napkin blowing across the ground.
15. Why do Victor and his girlfriend once fight in the dark?
(a) Because they pay more attention to what they are saying.
(b) Because it is more romantic.
(c) Because she does not pay her electric bill.
(d) Because Victor breaks all of the lamps.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Victor, what about an Indian boy is beautiful?
2. What news does Samuel-builds-a-fire receive at work?
3. How does the grass feel to Victor at the barbecue?
4. Why does Victor call Nora grandmother?
5. Where does Jimmy One-horse's wife go when she is upset with him?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)