|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Victor imagine that an Indian invents?
(a) The A-bomb.
(b) The automatic machine gun.
(d) The telephone.
2. Why does Victor call Nora grandmother?
(a) Because he is kidding.
(b) Because she is old enough to be his grandmother.
(c) Because she has a grandchild.
(d) Out of respect.
3. Why does the 7-11 clerk think Victor is a criminal?
(a) Because he has long black hair and he is an Indian.
(b) He looks like a man whose picture is hanging in the store.
(c) Because he has his hand in his pocket.
(d) Because he has a tattoo that looks like a prison gang tattoo.
4. What does Victor not understand in the eighth grade?
(a) Why Indian boys are rounded up when white boys throw rocks through a store window.
(b) Why girls shoplift when they have the money to afford the items they steal.
(c) Why white children are not arrested for curfew and children of color are.
(d) Why girls starve themselves through anorexia and bulemia when he is involuntarily starving on the reservation.
5. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
(a) He plays a piano.
(b) He drinks.
(c) He participates in a potato sack race.
(d) He talks to his cousin.
6. Where does John-John sit waiting for Joseph to come home?
(a) On the front porch.
(b) On the roof.
(c) By the window.
(d) In the yard.
7. What hurtful thing does John-John imagine about Joseph's return?
(a) Saying he is home briefly then leaves again.
(b) Joseph reprimanding him for not taking better care of their mother.
(c) Joseph reprimanding him for not writing.
(d) That Joseph does not remember him.
8. Where does Victor find a new job?
(a) Walla Walla.
(c) Grand Culee.
9. What does Jimmy One-horse's wife think about the man with whom she has an affair?
(a) He is too self-absorbed.
(b) He is too serious.
(c) He is too flirtatious.
(d) He drinks too much.
10. How much money does Victor's father give to a broke Indian?
(a) Enough for a meal.
(b) Some pocket change.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) Enough to buy some alcohol.
11. What happens after Nora visits the Powwow Tavern?
(a) She passes out.
(b) She stops by her mother's grave.
(c) She stops by a diner.
(d) She usually takes someone home with her.
12. What happens when Victor drives into a wealthy neighborhood?
(a) People stare at him.
(b) His car breaks down.
(c) He is pulled over by a police officer.
(d) Several people ask him what he is doing there.
13. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's job title?
(b) Store clerk.
(c) Maid at a motel.
(d) Construction worker.
14. What does Victor's mother think of the Indian community?
(a) That they are given gifts.
(b) That they are admirable people with great strength.
(c) That they are a lost cause.
(d) That they are victims.
15. What does Victor compare diabetes to?
(a) A kidnapper.
(b) A lover.
(c) A temptress.
(d) A good friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of John-John's talents?
2. Where does Junior Polatkin attend college?
3. Why is Jimmy One-Horse's wife upset at him?
4. What does Victor imagine happens to Christopher Columbus?
5. How does Victor describe Uncle Moses?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)