|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is one of Victor's girlfriends afraid of him?
(a) Because he seems mentally unstable.
(b) Because he is an Indian.
(c) Because he is often angry.
(d) Because he is always writing and she does not know what he writes.
2. What does Jimmy One-horse's wife think about the man with whom she has an affair?
(a) He drinks too much.
(b) He is too serious.
(c) He is too self-absorbed.
(d) He is too flirtatious.
3. Where does Junior Polatkin attend college?
(a) Eastern Washington University.
(b) Walla Walla College.
(c) Whitman College.
(d) Gonzaga University.
4. What do Victor's sisters do when they are very hungry while growing up?
(a) They dig through dumptsters.
(b) They make mud pies in the yard.
(c) They scrape food from the table with their teeth.
(d) They beg for food.
5. Who does Uncle Moses befriend?
6. Why is Jimmy One-Horse's wife upset at him?
(a) Jimmy has an affair with another woman.
(b) He keeps leaving the toilet seat up.
(c) Jimmy is verbally abusive to her.
(d) Jimmy has cancer and makes jokes about it.
7. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's talent?
(a) Telling stories.
(c) Playing basketball.
(d) Playing the trumpet.
8. What happens to Samuel-builds-a-fire on the railroad tracks?
(a) He meets a hobo who shares his dinner.
(b) He passes out with a train headed straight toward him.
(c) He gets mugged.
(d) His foot gets caught in the railroad ties.
9. How much money does Victor's father give to a broke Indian?
(a) Some pocket change.
(b) Enough to buy some alcohol.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) Enough for a meal.
10. Why does the police officer give the money back to Jimmy One-horse and his wife?
(a) They say they write a letter to the editor of the local paper and warn other Indians to be wary of crooked police officers.
(b) They threaten to talk to the police chief.
(c) Because they say they write letters to his department that say the officer is polite and obeys the law.
(d) Because the couple is so nice and Jimmy One-horse's wife starts to cry.
11. Why does the 7-11 clerk think Victor is a criminal?
(a) He looks like a man whose picture is hanging in the store.
(b) Because he has his hand in his pocket.
(c) Because he has long black hair and he is an Indian.
(d) Because he has a tattoo that looks like a prison gang tattoo.
12. What do Victor's siblings commonly do with a car while growing up?
(a) Sniff gas from the exhaust pipe.
(b) They throw rocks at the cars.
(c) Go joy riding.
(d) They siphon gas and sell it.
13. Where is the location for Victor's imagination?
(a) His back porch.
(b) A gas station.
(c) A bar.
(d) The 7-11.
14. What happens when Victor drives into a wealthy neighborhood?
(a) People stare at him.
(b) Several people ask him what he is doing there.
(c) He is pulled over by a police officer.
(d) His car breaks down.
15. How does Victor's family watch television?
(a) With the sound down so they can talk about what they are watching.
(b) In black and white.
(c) In the dining room so they do not dwell on not having enough food.
(d) So loud that it distorts their conversations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creates beauty?
2. What does John-John imagine he hears?
3. What does Victor talk about during his high school years?
4. How does Victor's father kill a man?
5. To Victor, what about an Indian boy is beautiful?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)