|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the clerk at the 7-11 give to Victor?
(a) A creamsicle.
(b) The contact info for the store manager for a job.
(c) A six-pack of beer.
(d) A slurpee.
2. Why does the 7-11 clerk think Victor is a criminal?
(a) Because he has his hand in his pocket.
(b) He looks like a man whose picture is hanging in the store.
(c) Because he has a tattoo that looks like a prison gang tattoo.
(d) Because he has long black hair and he is an Indian.
3. What does Victor consider censorship in the third grade?
(a) When he is asked to return to his desk and be quiet after talking about life on the reservation.
(b) When a story he writes about his family life is taken away.
(c) When his drawing is confiscated.
(d) When his comic book is taken away.
4. How does Junior Polatkin and the blonde girl's short relationship end?
(a) Junior's parents forbid him to see her.
(b) The blonde girl becomes pregnant and has the baby.
(c) The blonde girl runs off with another guy.
(d) They have a really big fight.
5. Why do Victor and his girlfriend once fight in the dark?
(a) Because it is more romantic.
(b) Because they pay more attention to what they are saying.
(c) Because she does not pay her electric bill.
(d) Because Victor breaks all of the lamps.
6. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
(a) He talks to his cousin.
(b) He participates in a potato sack race.
(c) He plays a piano.
(d) He drinks.
7. What do Victor's siblings commonly do with a car while growing up?
(a) Go joy riding.
(b) They throw rocks at the cars.
(c) Sniff gas from the exhaust pipe.
(d) They siphon gas and sell it.
8. What does Victor's father describe while starting a car in the winter?
(a) The first television show he sees.
(b) Not owning a pair of snow boots while growing up.
(c) The first car his family owns.
(d) The cruel treatment he experiences in school while growing up.
9. How much money does Victor's father give to a broke Indian?
(a) Enough for a meal.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Some pocket change.
(d) Enough to buy some alcohol.
10. What does Victor say about life off of the reservation?
(a) It is like a bad dream you never wake up from.
(b) It makes him paranoid.
(c) It is mesmerizing.
(d) It is like heaven.
11. What does Victor's teacher want him to do in the second grade?
(a) To apologize for everything and cut off his braids.
(b) To write with his right hand and wear cleaner clothing.
(c) To perform math problems on the board in front of the class and testify before the state court about how his parents are mistreating him.
(d) To do his homework at school because she does not think he is doing his own work.
12. What does Victor recount about one time Victor's father is drunk while growing up?
(a) He stumbles down the stairs.
(b) He wanders off into the night.
(c) He walks into a closet thinking it is a bathroom.
(d) He starts a fight with a neighbor.
13. What does Victor's father not know about the man who disappears?
(a) Where he lives.
(b) Who shoots him.
(c) Who his next of kin are.
(d) Where he is last seen.
14. What news does Samuel-builds-a-fire receive at work?
(a) He is doing a different job.
(b) He is being let go from his job.
(c) His boss is arrested.
(d) A co-worker passes away.
15. How does Victor's father kill a man?
(a) By accidentally starting a fire.
(b) In a bar fight.
(c) He is in a car wreck.
(d) Cleaning his rifle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of the gift that the person whom Uncle Moses befriends?
2. Why do Victor's sisters put food coloring in the potatoes while growing up?
3. What creates beauty?
4. How does the grass feel to Victor at the barbecue?
5. When does Victor have his first experiences with drugs?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)