|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about the Indian people does Victor discuss in Chapter 15?
(a) Their dreams.
(b) Their bad luck.
(c) Their virtues.
(d) Their lack of hope.
2. What does the psychic child advise Victor to do?
(a) To stand on his roof and shout at people walking by.
(b) To put glue on his body and roll around in leaves.
(c) To break all of the mirrors in the house and tape them to his body.
(d) To build a tree house and live there for a month.
3. What is John-John's explanation for having two names?
(a) He is named after his Uncle John and his Grandfather John.
(b) Because it is easier to remember.
(c) It is a mistake made on his birth certificare.
(d) His parents like the rhythmic sound.
4. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's talent?
(a) Playing basketball.
(c) Playing the trumpet.
(d) Telling stories.
5. What does Jimmy One-horse's wife think about the man with whom she has an affair?
(a) He drinks too much.
(b) He is too self-absorbed.
(c) He is too flirtatious.
(d) He is too serious.
6. Where does Junior Polatkin attend college?
(a) Walla Walla College.
(b) Gonzaga University.
(c) Whitman College.
(d) Eastern Washington University.
7. What does Victor not understand in the eighth grade?
(a) Why girls starve themselves through anorexia and bulemia when he is involuntarily starving on the reservation.
(b) Why girls shoplift when they have the money to afford the items they steal.
(c) Why white children are not arrested for curfew and children of color are.
(d) Why Indian boys are rounded up when white boys throw rocks through a store window.
8. Why do Victor and his girlfriend once fight in the dark?
(a) Because it is more romantic.
(b) Because she does not pay her electric bill.
(c) Because they pay more attention to what they are saying.
(d) Because Victor breaks all of the lamps.
9. What does Victor's father describe while starting a car in the winter?
(a) The cruel treatment he experiences in school while growing up.
(b) The first television show he sees.
(c) Not owning a pair of snow boots while growing up.
(d) The first car his family owns.
10. Why does Victor call Nora grandmother?
(a) Because he is kidding.
(b) Out of respect.
(c) Because she is old enough to be his grandmother.
(d) Because she has a grandchild.
11. What does Victor's teacher want him to do in the second grade?
(a) To do his homework at school because she does not think he is doing his own work.
(b) To write with his right hand and wear cleaner clothing.
(c) To perform math problems on the board in front of the class and testify before the state court about how his parents are mistreating him.
(d) To apologize for everything and cut off his braids.
12. Why does Junior Polatkin fall in love with the blonde girl in history class?
(a) He believes she is very worldly.
(b) He believes she understands what it is like for Indians.
(c) He thinks she is smart.
(d) He thinks she is attractive.
13. What does Victor use to explain different events in his life?
(a) By the cars his family own.
(b) The television.
(c) The periods after each sibling is born.
(d) The grades he is in during school.
14. What hurtful thing does John-John imagine about Joseph's return?
(a) Joseph reprimanding him for not taking better care of their mother.
(b) Saying he is home briefly then leaves again.
(c) That Joseph does not remember him.
(d) Joseph reprimanding him for not writing.
15. What happens to Samuel-builds-a-fire on the railroad tracks?
(a) He gets mugged.
(b) He passes out with a train headed straight toward him.
(c) He meets a hobo who shares his dinner.
(d) His foot gets caught in the railroad ties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's reaction to the news he receives at work?
2. What do Victor's sisters do when they are very hungry while growing up?
3. How do sober Indians treat drunken Indians?
4. What does Victor's father not know about the man who disappears?
5. What happens after Nora visits the Powwow Tavern?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)