|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Victor's equation for survival?
(a) Survival = Determination X Imagination.
(b) Survival = Anger X Imagination.
(c) Survival = Skills X Stamina.
(d) Survival = Ingenuity X Stamina.
2. Why do Victor's sisters put food coloring in the potatoes while growing up?
(a) Because they think the meal looks too bland.
(b) Because they could not afford Play-doh.
(c) Because they think it looks pretty.
(d) To imagine they are eating different foods.
3. What does Victor consider censorship in the third grade?
(a) When his drawing is confiscated.
(b) When he is asked to return to his desk and be quiet after talking about life on the reservation.
(c) When a story he writes about his family life is taken away.
(d) When his comic book is taken away.
4. Why does the police officer give the money back to Jimmy One-horse and his wife?
(a) Because the couple is so nice and Jimmy One-horse's wife starts to cry.
(b) They threaten to talk to the police chief.
(c) Because they say they write letters to his department that say the officer is polite and obeys the law.
(d) They say they write a letter to the editor of the local paper and warn other Indians to be wary of crooked police officers.
5. What happens after Nora visits the Powwow Tavern?
(a) She stops by her mother's grave.
(b) She stops by a diner.
(c) She passes out.
(d) She usually takes someone home with her.
6. Where does Junior Polatkin attend college?
(a) Whitman College.
(b) Walla Walla College.
(c) Gonzaga University.
(d) Eastern Washington University.
7. What does Victor do at a barbecue?
(a) He plays a piano.
(b) He participates in a potato sack race.
(c) He talks to his cousin.
(d) He drinks.
8. What happens to Victor in the first grade?
(a) He is placed in the back of the classroom and ignored.
(b) He is put in the lowest reading group.
(c) He is repeatedly asked to go to the principal's office for disruptive behavior.
(d) He is teased by bullies.
9. What hurtful thing does John-John imagine about Joseph's return?
(a) Joseph reprimanding him for not taking better care of their mother.
(b) Joseph reprimanding him for not writing.
(c) Saying he is home briefly then leaves again.
(d) That Joseph does not remember him.
10. Where does John-John sit waiting for Joseph to come home?
(a) By the window.
(b) In the yard.
(c) On the front porch.
(d) On the roof.
11. What creates beauty?
(a) A napkin blowing across the ground.
(b) A smile on a child's face.
(c) A cracked piece of glass.
(d) Fallen flower petals.
12. How do sober Indians treat drunken Indians?
(a) With disdain.
(b) With infinite patience.
(c) With sympathy.
(d) With humor.
13. How does Victor's family watch television?
(a) With the sound down so they can talk about what they are watching.
(b) So loud that it distorts their conversations.
(c) In black and white.
(d) In the dining room so they do not dwell on not having enough food.
14. What gift does the person whom Uncle Moses befriends have?
(b) Playing basketball.
15. What does Samuel-builds-a-fire do on his birthday?
(a) He plans to ask a woman out on a date.
(b) He purchases a new pair of shoes.
(c) He walks to work.
(d) He arrives to work a half hour early.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Victor imagine that an Indian invents?
2. Why does Junior Polatkin fall in love with the blonde girl in history class?
3. What does Victor recount about one time Victor's father is drunk while growing up?
4. Why does Junior drop out of college?
5. How does Victor describe Uncle Moses?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)