|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Victor's siblings commonly do with a car while growing up?
(a) They siphon gas and sell it.
(b) Sniff gas from the exhaust pipe.
(c) Go joy riding.
(d) They throw rocks at the cars.
2. Why does Victor's mother not like the stories he writes?
(a) Because they use so much profanity.
(b) Because she thinks he is wasting too much time writing them.
(c) Because they are so negative.
(d) Because he is too revealing about family matters.
3. What does Victor say about life off of the reservation?
(a) It makes him paranoid.
(b) It is like a bad dream you never wake up from.
(c) It is mesmerizing.
(d) It is like heaven.
4. What does Junior Polatkin tell the blonde girl what it is like being an Indian at the university?
(a) Like he is in an aquarium.
(b) Like an outcast.
(c) Like a celebrity.
5. What does John-John imagine he hears?
(a) A helicopter landing.
(b) A jet landing.
(c) A ship coming into port.
(d) A bus.
6. What does Victor's father describe while starting a car in the winter?
(a) The first television show he sees.
(b) The first car his family owns.
(c) Not owning a pair of snow boots while growing up.
(d) The cruel treatment he experiences in school while growing up.
7. How does Victor's father kill a man?
(a) He is in a car wreck.
(b) By accidentally starting a fire.
(c) In a bar fight.
(d) Cleaning his rifle.
8. What does Jimmy One-horse's wife think about the man with whom she has an affair?
(a) He is too flirtatious.
(b) He drinks too much.
(c) He is too self-absorbed.
(d) He is too serious.
9. What does the clerk at the 7-11 give to Victor?
(a) A slurpee.
(b) A six-pack of beer.
(c) A creamsicle.
(d) The contact info for the store manager for a job.
10. What happens to Victor in the first grade?
(a) He is put in the lowest reading group.
(b) He is placed in the back of the classroom and ignored.
(c) He is teased by bullies.
(d) He is repeatedly asked to go to the principal's office for disruptive behavior.
11. What is John-John's explanation for having two names?
(a) Because it is easier to remember.
(b) His parents like the rhythmic sound.
(c) It is a mistake made on his birth certificare.
(d) He is named after his Uncle John and his Grandfather John.
12. What happens to John-John's brother Joseph?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He is taken as a prisoner of war.
(c) He is a deserter.
(d) He is killed in the Vietnam War.
13. How much money does Victor's father give to a broke Indian?
(a) Enough to buy some alcohol.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Enough for a meal.
(d) Some pocket change.
14. What is Victor's equation for survival?
(a) Survival = Skills X Stamina.
(b) Survival = Ingenuity X Stamina.
(c) Survival = Determination X Imagination.
(d) Survival = Anger X Imagination.
15. What does Victor recount about one time Victor's father is drunk while growing up?
(a) He stumbles down the stairs.
(b) He walks into a closet thinking it is a bathroom.
(c) He starts a fight with a neighbor.
(d) He wanders off into the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Jimmy One-horse's wife return after leaving him?
2. Who does Uncle Moses befriend?
3. What is Samuel-builds-a-fire's talent?
4. What does Samuel-builds-a-fire do on his birthday?
5. What happens to Samuel-builds-a-fire on the railroad tracks?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)