|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does baby James have a dent in his head?
(a) He has a rare birth defect.
(b) He is accidentally dropped.
(c) His doctor uses forceps during his birth.
(d) He is thrown out of a window.
2. What holiday are the characters celebrating in the first chapter?
(a) The Green Corn Ceremony.
(b) New Years Eve.
(d) American Independence Day.
3. Why does Victor take baby James home to take care of him?
(a) Because there are no immediate relatives.
(b) Because he ends up on welfare anyway.
(c) Because he is the baby's father.
(d) Because he is friends with the baby's father.
4. Who assists Victor and his companion with Dirty Joe at the carnival?
(a) Another friend.
(b) A carny.
(c) A stranger.
(d) A police officer.
5. What does Victor's father tell him about his mother?
(a) That she is wonderful.
(b) That she is the glue that holds the family together.
(c) That she is cantankerous.
(d) That she is a distant wife.
6. What is one of Dirty Joe's distinguishing features?
(a) A tattoo on his neck.
(b) A big nose.
(c) Scars from bar fights.
(d) He walks with a limp.
7. Why is Victor punishing Dirty Joe at the carnival?
(a) For being offensive to his mother.
(b) For his drunkeness.
(c) For promoting negative stereotypes of Indian people.
(d) For threatening people.
8. What is Victor and Adrian's reaction when they are playing with the BB gun?
(a) They are amazed and shake their heads.
(b) They say they are disturbed.
(c) They act agressively.
(d) They laugh.
9. What does Victor do when his white lover leaves him?
(a) He goes for a long walk.
(b) He sits around his home and mopes.
(c) He goes to see his friends.
(d) He goes out dancing and talks to women.
10. Where does Victor see the flirtatious waitress a second time?
(a) At a friend's party.
(b) At a carnival.
(c) At a Powwow.
(d) At a high school basketball game.
11. Where do Victor and his companion escape to when being chased at the carnival?
(a) The first aid station.
(b) The tunnel of love.
(c) The men's restroom.
(d) The house of mirrors.
12. What does Thomas Builds-a-Fire stop doing after his incident twenty years ago?
(a) He stops leaving the house.
(b) He stops drinking.
(c) He stops telling stories.
(d) He stops associating with ex-convicts.
13. What do Victor's uncle and cousin do during his aunt's incident with a mouse?
(a) They offer their advice.
(b) They ignore her.
(c) They run after the mouse.
(d) They laugh and tease her.
14. What does Victor refer to when he discusses the "hurricanes" on the reservation?
(b) Large uprisings.
(c) Wayward youths.
(d) Wind storms.
15. How do Victor and his teammates pass the time at the state basketball finals?
(a) They practice their drills.
(b) They talk about girls.
(c) They look at first-aid manuals.
(d) They do cheers and chants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Victor decide to do after the state final basketball game?
2. What is Victor's philosophy toward drinking?
3. Who chases Victor and his companion after the incident with Dirty Joe at the carnival?
4. Why does Victor find the waitress so unusual when he is at her place?
5. Where does the flirtatious waitress invite Victor after the see each other for the second time?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)