|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the condition that Thomas Builds-a-Fire places on his assistance after Victor's father's death?
(a) That Victor pays it forward.
(b) That Victor returns the favor when his father dies.
(c) That he goes to the funeral with Victor.
(d) That Victor helps him move some furniture to his brother's house.
2. What is Victor's philosophy toward drinking?
(a) He drinks to forget his past.
(b) He drinks to make his life seem normal.
(c) If he drinks one more beer, then everything in his life is better.
(d) The only way to drink is to binge.
3. What war does Victor's dad experience while in jail?
(a) A war between the guards and inmates.
(b) A war between the racial gangs.
(c) A war with more violent inmates.
(d) A war with the legal system.
4. What is Victor's father's view on war?
(a) War is something to be avoided.
(b) War is a necessary evil.
(c) There is either war or peace, but nothing in-between.
(d) War is hell.
5. Which is a story that Thomas Builds-a-Fire tells during his trial?
(a) A story about how he kills soldiers in 1858.
(b) A story about how he attacks pioneers in 1870.
(c) A story about how he is a flying ace in World War I.
(d) A story about how he signs a treaty with the U.S. government in 1832.
6. Who does Victor believe destroys everything the Indians hold sacred?
(a) Davy Crockett.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) George Custer.
(d) Henry L. Dawes.
7. Where do Victor and his companion escape to when being chased at the carnival?
(a) The men's restroom.
(b) The tunnel of love.
(c) The first aid station.
(d) The house of mirrors.
8. How do Victor and his teammates pass the time at the state basketball finals?
(a) They practice their drills.
(b) They talk about girls.
(c) They look at first-aid manuals.
(d) They do cheers and chants.
9. What happens thirty years ago while Victor's aunt and uncle return home from dancing?
(a) They get into a car accident.
(b) They are pulled over by a police officer.
(c) They hit a pedestrian.
(d) They get lost and end up coming home hours later.
10. What is Victor's father's advice about remembering the past?
(a) To hold on to good memories.
(b) Use your past to change your future.
(c) To change the old memories.
(d) To avoid memories of the past.
11. What does Victor's father do when Victor tries to bond with him?
(a) He yells at Victor.
(b) He passes out from being drunk.
(c) He takes off on his motorcycle.
(d) He ignores Victor.
12. According to Victor, what is it difficult to be on the reservation?
13. Who chases Victor and his companion after the incident with Dirty Joe at the carnival?
(a) A pack of dogs.
(b) Security guards.
(c) Dirty Joe.
(d) A group of teens.
14. What does Victor demonstrate about the whole situation on the reservation?
15. Why is Victor's friend able to afford beer for the party at the lake?
(a) He sells some bootleg liquor.
(b) He inherits land that is used by large corporations.
(c) He has a job.
(d) He receives a check from the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Victor's Urban Indian girlfriend?
2. What does Victor conclude about the waitress at her home?
3. What does Thomas Builds-a-Fire do during the incident twenty years ago?
4. Where does the flirtatious waitress invite Victor after the see each other for the second time?
5. How does Thomas Builds-a-Fire help Victor when they are children?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)