|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many tenants does Olive have?
2. Vera had a wretched _________________.
3. What does Mona do when she hears her diagnosis?
4. The topic of "Victoria" is _______________________.
5. Pat breaks down on the way to __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "Brixton"?
2. How does Shirley prove to be the most sensitive person in the story?
3. Why does Nan especially enjoy having Shirley as a customer?
4. What is the premise of "Highbury & Islington"?
5. How does Adam behave immaturely during the trip to introduce Heather to his mother and sister?
6. Explain the reason for the trouble between Mary and her parents and what her life is like without them.
7. Why has Jane requested a reunion with her friends, Helen and Margaret?
8. What is Eve's focus with the work she does for individual women?
9. How does this story differ from many of the other stories which address inter-generational conflict?
10. How is Olive's true character in contrast to the gracious person she pretends to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maeve Binchy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rita in "Notting Hill Gate." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rita?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a story from LONDON TRANSPORTS and project into the future ten years after the end of the story and write a brief synopsis for the main character's life. How will the character have changed? How does the character stay the same? What life lessons has the character learned? Explain.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)