|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime had Rita's husband committed?
2. What reason does Lisa's lover give her for being away for a few hours?
3. What does Margaret tell her husband will happen if he stays with her?
4. How many sons does Jeffery have?
5. Who is the unnamed narrator's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lisa do when she realizes that her lover had intended to meet some other woman this weekend?
2. How does Frankie alienate the narrator's husband one evening when she drops in on them?
3. Why has Jane requested a reunion with her friends, Helen and Margaret?
4. What is the premise of "Seven Sisters"?
5. What advice does May receive from her Australian roommate at the clinic?
6. What does Lisa learn from the street vendor?
7. How does Pat thwart Stuart's plans for them to participate in an orgy?
8. What shocking information does Sophie learn from some customers?
9. What is the premise of "Brixton"?
10. Why is the narrator uncomfortable in Rita's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in a story in LONDON TRANSPORTS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family disintegrate? How typical is this family to most Irish and English families living during the 1970s?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland and England in the 1970s as Binchy portrays them. What precedents were they forced to follow? What role does poverty play in their lives? How does religion rule over their choices? How do they tend to view relationships with men?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Sophie in "Marble Arch." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sophie?
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)