|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rita's job?
2. What is the narrator's job?
3. Malcolm and Melissa mistakenly think that the narrator and the person in #17 are ________________.
4. What has been a problem in Margaret's marriage?
5. What disease has Marigold faked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "Queensway"?
2. How is Rita different from the other temps in the office?
3. What shocking information does Sophie learn from some customers?
4. What does Lisa learn from the street vendor?
5. What is the irony of the narrator's attempt to convince Frankie's boss's wife that Frankie is a good employee?
6. What is Lisa's situation as the story begins?
7. What is the topic of "Shepherd's Bush" and what does the story signal for the following stories?
8. What is the premise of "Holborn"?
9. What is the source of Lisa's anxiety regarding her affair?
10. Describe Rita, the latest temp hired by the newspaper.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Ireland and England in the 1970s as Binchy portrays them. What precedents were they forced to follow? What role does poverty play in their lives? How does religion rule over their choices? How do they tend to view relationships with men?
Essay Topic 2
Maeve Binchy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Nan in "Warren Street." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Nan?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)