|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can Rita best be described?
2. What crime had Rita's husband committed?
3. What is the name of the married man with whom Lisa is involved?
4. After the end of her engagement, Julia dates mostly _________________.
5. Sophie is in what business for herself now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the topic of "Shepherd's Bush" and what does the story signal for the following stories?
2. What two options does Margaret lay out for Harry when learning that he has impregnated a factory co-worker.
3. What shocking information does Sophie learn from some customers?
4. Why is the narrator uncomfortable in Rita's home?
5. What advice does May receive from her Australian roommate at the clinic?
6. What is the premise of "Queensway"?
7. What is the premise of "Bond Street"?
8. How does Frankie alienate the narrator's husband one evening when she drops in on them?
9. Who is Charles Benson and why does Jill Twilly require his services?
10. What is the narrator's concern after being identified as a lesbian at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maeve Binchy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a story from LONDON TRANSPORTS and project into the future ten years after the end of the story and write a brief synopsis for the main character's life. How will the character have changed? How does the character stay the same? What life lessons has the character learned? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Does Binchy end any of her stories on a note of hope for her characters or are they fated to struggle to come to terms with their lives and flawed relationships? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)