|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lisa thinks that the street vendor is _______________.
2. Which of the following is NOT something that upsets the narrator regarding temp workers?
3. Who is Margaret's husband?
4. Why is Eddie so angry at life?
5. What does May think about as she returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rita, the latest temp hired by the newspaper.
2. How does Pat's naivete show in her discussion and agreements with Joy and Marigold?
3. What is May's situation in "Shepherd's Bush"?
4. How is Rita different from the other temps in the office?
5. Describe the evening when Frankie and the narrator visit the BBC Club for drinks.
6. What is revealed about Rita's husband?
7. What is the premise of "Holland Park"?
8. How does the narrator view the possibility of a lesbian relationship with her friend?
9. What is the premise of "Queensway"?
10. How does Margaret convince Harry that he has made the right decision to stay with her and their son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Ireland and England in the 1970s as Binchy portrays them. What precedents were they forced to follow? What role does poverty play in their lives? How does religion rule over their choices? How do they tend to view relationships with men?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Sophie in "Marble Arch." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sophie?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment. Cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)