|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the end of her engagement, Julia dates mostly _________________.
2. What are the narrator and her husband doing when Frankie drops in?
3. What does Margaret tell her husband will happen if he stays with her?
4. What is Jill's last name?
5. What is Rita's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Harry ever catch on to Margaret's shoplifting habits?
2. How does the narrator view the possibility of a lesbian relationship with her friend?
3. Why is May especially skittish about having the abortion?
4. What is the source of Julia's angst in "Tottenham Court Road"?
5. What is the premise of "Holland Park"?
6. What is the irony of the narrator's attempt to convince Frankie's boss's wife that Frankie is a good employee?
7. What shocking information does Sophie learn from some customers?
8. What two options does Margaret lay out for Harry when learning that he has impregnated a factory co-worker.
9. Why is Rita shocked by Ken's wife and what lesson does she learn from the dinner with the couples?
10. Why is Frankie determined to win over her new boss' wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the stories in LONDON TRANSPORTS are classic stories of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why do some selected stories fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Sophie in "Marble Arch." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sophie?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the stories? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Binchy choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)