|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat need to find?
2. Sophie learns that Eddie has been seeing _______________ on the side.
3. Who is the unnamed narrator's husband?
4. What is the name of the white man whom Rita is seeing?
5. Who is Peggy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What facts does Pat eventually learn about Marigold's manipulations and feigned illness?
2. What is the premise of "Queensway"?
3. Why is Rita shocked by Ken's wife and what lesson does she learn from the dinner with the couples?
4. Who is Charles Benson and why does Jill Twilly require his services?
5. Describe Rita, the latest temp hired by the newspaper.
6. What is revealed about Rita's husband?
7. What is the irony of the narrator's attempt to convince Frankie's boss's wife that Frankie is a good employee?
8. What does Marigold tell Pat about their previous roommate, Nadia?
9. Why does Julia decide to resort to visiting the pornography store?
10. Describe the evening when Frankie and the narrator visit the BBC Club for drinks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rita in "Notting Hill Gate." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rita?
Essay Topic 3
Greed seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of greed? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)