|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does everyone seem to hate Malcolm and Melissa?
2. After the end of her engagement, Julia dates mostly _________________.
3. The street vendor thinks that Lisa is ___________________.
4. What is John Lewis' profession?
5. How old is the married man with whom Lisa is having an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does May receive from her Australian roommate at the clinic?
2. What does Lisa do when she realizes that her lover had intended to meet some other woman this weekend?
3. What is Lisa's situation as the story begins?
4. What is revealed about Rita's husband?
5. What is Eddie's outlook on his profession and why does he say he cannot change it?
6. How is Lewis drawn in, and ultimately used, by Jill?
7. How is Rita different from the other temps in the office?
8. What does Lisa learn from the street vendor?
9. What is Sophie's personal and professional relationship with Peggy?
10. What is the premise of "Bond Street"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Binchy end any of her stories on a note of hope for her characters or are they fated to struggle to come to terms with their lives and flawed relationships? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland and England in the 1970s as Binchy portrays them. What precedents were they forced to follow? What role does poverty play in their lives? How does religion rule over their choices? How do they tend to view relationships with men?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)