Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's job?
2. How long has Pat been in London?
3. Which of the following is NOT a reason that Margaret shoplifts?
4. What is the name of the married man with whom Lisa is involved?
5. Who is Rita's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the source of Lisa's anxiety regarding her affair?
2. How is Olive's true character in contrast to the gracious person she pretends to be?
3. Why is Frankie determined to win over her new boss' wife?
4. How does Pat's naivete show in her discussion and agreements with Joy and Marigold?
5. What does Lisa do when she realizes that her lover had intended to meet some other woman this weekend?
6. What is the premise of "Holborn"?
7. How is the narrator mistakenly identified as a lesbian?
8. Describe the evening when Frankie and the narrator visit the BBC Club for drinks.
9. What is the premise of "Stockwell"?
10. What is the premise of "Queensway"?
In several of the stories, the element of family reproach or disapproval over the choice of a lover or mate is prevalent. Why is this a recurring theme in Binchy's stories? Was this a typical mindset for the time period? Or is family judgmentalism an ever-present element in life in general?
Explain the role of women in Ireland and England in the 1970s as Binchy portrays them. What precedents were they forced to follow? What role does poverty play in their lives? How does religion rule over their choices? How do they tend to view relationships with men?
Describe the role of the family in a story in LONDON TRANSPORTS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family disintegrate? How typical is this family to most Irish and English families living during the 1970s?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)