|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frankie often turns to the unnamed narrator who rescues her from _____________________.
2. At what age had Julia been engaged?
3. Pat learns that Marigold had forced Nadia _____________________.
4. How does Margaret determine that she will provide a good life for her husband and son?
5. In what city is "Holland Park" set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "Holland Park"?
2. What does Lisa do when she realizes that her lover had intended to meet some other woman this weekend?
3. What does Marigold tell Pat about their previous roommate, Nadia?
4. What is the premise of "Brixton"?
5. How does Frankie alienate the narrator's husband one evening when she drops in on them?
6. What is Eddie's outlook on his profession and why does he say he cannot change it?
7. What is the premise of "Victoria"?
8. What is the premise of "Pimlico"?
9. What is the premise of "Bond Street"?
10. What is the premise of "Green Park"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Rita in "Notting Hill Gate." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rita?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in her stories. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,598 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)