|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John Lewis' profession?
2. What job did Sophie have for many years?
3. Rita's home is described as _______________________.
4. What does the woman in #7 urge May to do?
5. How can Rita best be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Eve's philosophies for helping women get ahead and when does she know to move on to the next opportunity?
2. What is the source of Lisa's anxiety regarding her affair?
3. What does Mona learn about her own mother's view of her death from cancer that is similar to her own?
4. Why does Julia decide to resort to visiting the pornography store?
5. Who is Mary and what preoccupies her thoughts as the Christmas holiday approaches?
6. Why is May especially skittish about having the abortion?
7. How is Lewis drawn in, and ultimately used, by Jill?
8. What does Marigold tell Pat about their previous roommate, Nadia?
9. Explain the reason for the trouble between Mary and her parents and what her life is like without them.
10. Describe Vera's childhood and how she prepares to leave her situation.
Essay Topic 1
In several of the stories, the element of family reproach or disapproval over the choice of a lover or mate is prevalent. Why is this a recurring theme in Binchy's stories? Was this a typical mindset for the time period? Or is family judgmentalism an ever-present element in life in general?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Nan in "Warren Street." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Nan?
Essay Topic 3
Several of the stories in LONDON TRANSPORTS are classic stories of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why do some selected stories fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,916 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)