Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's job?
2. How long has Pat been in London?
3. Which of the following is NOT a reason that Margaret shoplifts?
4. What is the name of the married man with whom Lisa is involved?
5. Who is Rita's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the source of Lisa's anxiety regarding her affair?
2. How is Olive's true character in contrast to the gracious person she pretends to be?
3. Why is Frankie determined to win over her new boss' wife?
4. How does Pat's naivete show in her discussion and agreements with Joy and Marigold?
5. What does Lisa do when she realizes that her lover had intended to meet some other woman this weekend?
6. What is the premise of "Holborn"?
7. How is the narrator mistakenly identified as a lesbian?
8. Describe the evening when Frankie and the narrator visit the BBC Club for drinks.
9. What is the premise of "Stockwell"?
10. What is the premise of "Queensway"?
Essay Topic 1
In several of the stories, the element of family reproach or disapproval over the choice of a lover or mate is prevalent. Why is this a recurring theme in Binchy's stories? Was this a typical mindset for the time period? Or is family judgmentalism an ever-present element in life in general?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Nan in "Warren Street." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Nan?
Essay Topic 3
Does Binchy end any of her stories on a note of hope for her characters or are they fated to struggle to come to terms with their lives and flawed relationships? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)