|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margaret tell her husband will happen if he leaves her?
2. The street vendor thinks that Lisa is ___________________.
3. During conversation, the narrator portrays herself as _______________________.
4. Who is Frankie's new boss?
5. What is the name of the white man whom Rita is seeing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lewis drawn in, and ultimately used, by Jill?
2. Why is Rita shocked by Ken's wife and what lesson does she learn from the dinner with the couples?
3. What advice does May receive from her Australian roommate at the clinic?
4. Does Harry ever catch on to Margaret's shoplifting habits?
5. How is Rita different from the other temps in the office?
6. What is Eddie's outlook on his profession and why does he say he cannot change it?
7. What does Marigold tell Pat about their previous roommate, Nadia?
8. How is the narrator mistakenly identified as a lesbian?
9. What is the source of Lisa's anxiety regarding her affair?
10. What is the premise of "Queensway"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several of the stories, the element of family reproach or disapproval over the choice of a lover or mate is prevalent. Why is this a recurring theme in Binchy's stories? Was this a typical mindset for the time period? Or is family judgmentalism an ever-present element in life in general?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rita in "Notting Hill Gate." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rita?
Essay Topic 3
Does Binchy end any of her stories on a note of hope for her characters or are they fated to struggle to come to terms with their lives and flawed relationships? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)