|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only information that Rita gives to her co-workers?
2. Why is the narrator uneasy at Rita's home?
3. Why does Eddie not try to find a new job?
4. What is the narrator's job?
5. Who is Pat's aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lewis drawn in, and ultimately used, by Jill?
2. Does Harry ever catch on to Margaret's shoplifting habits?
3. Why does Julia decide to resort to visiting the pornography store?
4. How does Pat's naivete show in her discussion and agreements with Joy and Marigold?
5. What is the narrator's concern after being identified as a lesbian at the party?
6. How does Frankie alienate the narrator's husband one evening when she drops in on them?
7. What two options does Margaret lay out for Harry when learning that he has impregnated a factory co-worker.
8. What is the source of Lisa's anxiety regarding her affair?
9. What is Eddie's outlook on his profession and why does he say he cannot change it?
10. How is the narrator mistakenly identified as a lesbian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Sophie in "Marble Arch." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sophie?
Essay Topic 2
In several of the stories, the element of family reproach or disapproval over the choice of a lover or mate is prevalent. Why is this a recurring theme in Binchy's stories? Was this a typical mindset for the time period? Or is family judgmentalism an ever-present element in life in general?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in a story in LONDON TRANSPORTS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family disintegrate? How typical is this family to most Irish and English families living during the 1970s?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)