|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is May's job?
2. Who is Frankie's new boss?
3. Jill has a career in __________________.
4. With whom does May stay in London?
5. For how many years has Margaret been a shoplifter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eddie's outlook on his profession and why does he say he cannot change it?
2. What does Lisa do when she realizes that her lover had intended to meet some other woman this weekend?
3. Why is Frankie determined to win over her new boss' wife?
4. What facts does Pat eventually learn about Marigold's manipulations and feigned illness?
5. What is revealed about Rita's husband?
6. Why is Rita shocked by Ken's wife and what lesson does she learn from the dinner with the couples?
7. Why does Julia decide to resort to visiting the pornography store?
8. What is the source of Lisa's anxiety regarding her affair?
9. How does Frankie alienate the narrator's husband one evening when she drops in on them?
10. What is the topic of "Shepherd's Bush" and what does the story signal for the following stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Judgmentalism is an important theme in LONDON TRANSPORTS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In several of the stories, the element of family reproach or disapproval over the choice of a lover or mate is prevalent. Why is this a recurring theme in Binchy's stories? Was this a typical mindset for the time period? Or is family judgmentalism an ever-present element in life in general?
Essay Topic 3
Greed seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of greed? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)