|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom had Rita lived for a year in Wales?
2. What is well known about Frankie's boss' wife?
3. What reason does Lisa's lover give her for being away for a few hours?
4. In what city does May work?
5. Pat visits a flat occupied by Joy and _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frankie alienate the narrator's husband one evening when she drops in on them?
2. How is Rita different from the other temps in the office?
3. Describe Rita, the latest temp hired by the newspaper.
4. How is Lewis drawn in, and ultimately used, by Jill?
5. What is the premise of "Queensway"?
6. What is Sophie's personal and professional relationship with Peggy?
7. How does the narrator view the possibility of a lesbian relationship with her friend?
8. What is the source of Lisa's anxiety regarding her affair?
9. What is the irony of the narrator's attempt to convince Frankie's boss's wife that Frankie is a good employee?
10. Why is May especially skittish about having the abortion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several of the stories, the element of family reproach or disapproval over the choice of a lover or mate is prevalent. Why is this a recurring theme in Binchy's stories? Was this a typical mindset for the time period? Or is family judgmentalism an ever-present element in life in general?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in a story in LONDON TRANSPORTS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family disintegrate? How typical is this family to most Irish and English families living during the 1970s?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)