|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom had Rita lived for a year in Wales?
2. What is notorious about Margaret's shoplifting?
3. Who has some idea that Margaret is shoplifting?
4. How many sons does Jeffery have?
5. Where does Frankie get a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Harry ever catch on to Margaret's shoplifting habits?
2. What is the narrator's concern after being identified as a lesbian at the party?
3. What two options does Margaret lay out for Harry when learning that he has impregnated a factory co-worker.
4. How is Lewis drawn in, and ultimately used, by Jill?
5. Why is Rita shocked by Ken's wife and what lesson does she learn from the dinner with the couples?
6. What is the premise of "Holland Park"?
7. Why is May especially skittish about having the abortion?
8. How does Margaret convince Harry that he has made the right decision to stay with her and their son?
9. Why is the narrator uncomfortable in Rita's home?
10. Describe Rita, the latest temp hired by the newspaper.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several of the stories, the element of family reproach or disapproval over the choice of a lover or mate is prevalent. Why is this a recurring theme in Binchy's stories? Was this a typical mindset for the time period? Or is family judgmentalism an ever-present element in life in general?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Pam in "Queensway." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Pam?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the stories? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Binchy choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)