|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marigold has forced Joy to study to become ___________________.
2. Jill has a career in __________________.
3. What is notorious about Margaret's shoplifting?
4. What is May's job?
5. In what city does May work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the narrator mistakenly identified as a lesbian?
2. Does Harry ever catch on to Margaret's shoplifting habits?
3. What does Marigold tell Pat about their previous roommate, Nadia?
4. What is revealed about Rita's husband?
5. How does Pat's naivete show in her discussion and agreements with Joy and Marigold?
6. Describe the evening when Frankie and the narrator visit the BBC Club for drinks.
7. How does the narrator view the possibility of a lesbian relationship with her friend?
8. Why is Rita shocked by Ken's wife and what lesson does she learn from the dinner with the couples?
9. What is the premise of "Queensway"?
10. What shocking information does Sophie learn from some customers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Binchy end any of her stories on a note of hope for her characters or are they fated to struggle to come to terms with their lives and flawed relationships? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Nan in "Warren Street." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Nan?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Sophie in "Marble Arch." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sophie?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)