|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease has Marigold faked?
2. What type of shop does Julia visit?
3. What is Jill's last name?
4. What does Lisa think as she waits for her lover to pick her up for the trip?
5. Jill has a career in __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marigold tell Pat about their previous roommate, Nadia?
2. What is the irony of the narrator's attempt to convince Frankie's boss's wife that Frankie is a good employee?
3. What is the premise of "Holland Park"?
4. What is the premise of "Marble Arch"?
5. Describe Rita, the latest temp hired by the newspaper.
6. What is the premise of "Bond Street"?
7. What is Sophie's personal and professional relationship with Peggy?
8. How is Rita different from the other temps in the office?
9. What is the premise of "Holborn"?
10. What is the premise of "Queensway"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Binchy end any of her stories on a note of hope for her characters or are they fated to struggle to come to terms with their lives and flawed relationships? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Several of the stories in LONDON TRANSPORTS are classic stories of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why do some selected stories fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in a story in LONDON TRANSPORTS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family disintegrate? How typical is this family to most Irish and English families living during the 1970s?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)