|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May think about as she returns home?
2. Who do Frankie and the narrator realize that Frankie's boss' wife is?
3. Who is May's boss?
4. What disease has Marigold faked?
5. What does Pat need to find?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's concern after being identified as a lesbian at the party?
2. What is Sophie's personal and professional relationship with Peggy?
3. Describe Rita, the latest temp hired by the newspaper.
4. What is the source of Lisa's anxiety regarding her affair?
5. What facts does Pat eventually learn about Marigold's manipulations and feigned illness?
6. What does Marigold tell Pat about their previous roommate, Nadia?
7. What advice does May receive from her Australian roommate at the clinic?
8. Why does Julia decide to resort to visiting the pornography store?
9. How does Frankie alienate the narrator's husband one evening when she drops in on them?
10. What is May's situation in "Shepherd's Bush"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the book. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Maeve Binchy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in a story in LONDON TRANSPORTS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family disintegrate? How typical is this family to most Irish and English families living during the 1970s?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)