|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons does Jeffery have?
2. What type of shop does Julia visit?
3. What is the name of the white man whom Rita is seeing?
4. How many items does Margaret take from each store?
5. Which of the following is NOT something that upsets the narrator regarding temp workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "Marble Arch"?
2. What is Lisa's situation as the story begins?
3. What does Marigold tell Pat about their previous roommate, Nadia?
4. How does Frankie alienate the narrator's husband one evening when she drops in on them?
5. How is Lewis drawn in, and ultimately used, by Jill?
6. What is May's situation in "Shepherd's Bush"?
7. What is the premise of "Holland Park"?
8. How does Margaret convince Harry that he has made the right decision to stay with her and their son?
9. How does Pat's naivete show in her discussion and agreements with Joy and Marigold?
10. Why is May especially skittish about having the abortion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Judgmentalism is an important theme in LONDON TRANSPORTS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two of your favorite characters from LONDON TRANSPORTS. What drives both of them? How are their personalities similar? On what points do they differ? Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
In several of the stories, the element of family reproach or disapproval over the choice of a lover or mate is prevalent. Why is this a recurring theme in Binchy's stories? Was this a typical mindset for the time period? Or is family judgmentalism an ever-present element in life in general?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)