|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's job?
2. How long has Pat been in London?
3. Which of the following is NOT a reason that Margaret shoplifts?
4. What is the name of the married man with whom Lisa is involved?
5. Who is Rita's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the source of Lisa's anxiety regarding her affair?
2. How is Olive's true character in contrast to the gracious person she pretends to be?
3. Why is Frankie determined to win over her new boss' wife?
4. How does Pat's naivete show in her discussion and agreements with Joy and Marigold?
5. What does Lisa do when she realizes that her lover had intended to meet some other woman this weekend?
6. What is the premise of "Holborn"?
7. How is the narrator mistakenly identified as a lesbian?
8. Describe the evening when Frankie and the narrator visit the BBC Club for drinks.
9. What is the premise of "Stockwell"?
10. What is the premise of "Queensway"?
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Sophie in "Marble Arch." What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sophie?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland and England in the 1970s as Binchy portrays them. What precedents were they forced to follow? What role does poverty play in their lives? How does religion rule over their choices? How do they tend to view relationships with men?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two of your favorite characters from LONDON TRANSPORTS. What drives both of them? How are their personalities similar? On what points do they differ? Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,705 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)