|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would very occasionally happen to a dependable crossing sweep?
2. What percentage of costermongers did not own their stock?
3. How long had the crossing week Mayhew interviewed work as a crossing sweep at the time of the interview?
4. Which group in London dominated wholesale trading?
5. What did one of the young thieves who belonged to a gang tell Mayhew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a casual ward?
2. What were some of the circumstances in the better lodging houses for the street people?
3. What modern institutions did Costermongers fill in the 1800's London and what are some of the merchandise they sold? What did the more intelligent costers do?
4. What was the photographer's business like according to Mayhew?
5. Why was the clown Mayhew interviewed depressed and why was he a clown?
6. What did the London City Mission do?
7. Why did the author say "Dolly shops" were suspect?
8. Who did Tuckniss call a prostitute?
9. What was the difference between a conductor and other street people?
10. What was the purpose of the mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Costermongers usually lived in a drab, dreary, dirty rented room. Often it was shared with other family members. A mother, father and four or more children might live in a single room.
1. Discuss how living conditions such as in the statement above might affect a family. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Refute or defend the following statement: Human beings have a right to food, shelter and safety. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Explore some of the similarities and differences between the living conditions of costermongers in London during the era of this book and the slums of modern cities. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Do you think the prejudice and stereotyping of poor people still exist today? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you believe the government has an obligation to ensure that all citizens have a certain minimal level of existence? Why or why not?
3. How do you think Mayhew's religious beliefs affected his research? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mayhew portrayed the Jewish traders as seldom being drinkers or gamblers, but having an extreme love of money and an unquenchable thirst for speculation in any commodity.
1. Do you think the fact that the Jewish immigrants were usually not drinkers or gamblers might account for some of the Jewish financial success? Explain your answer using examples from the text and your own life.
2. Explain what you might think Mayhew's feelings towards Jews might be from the above statement. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss ways in which "extreme love of money" might manifest in a person's life. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 3,615 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)