|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did one Jewish trader claim to have purchased?
2. From what ailment did Mayhew say all skilled laborers suffered?
3. Which group in London dominated wholesale trading?
4. What did patterers deliver to their potential customers?
5. Where did the dust men take the debris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the general appearance of chimney sweeps and who most often worked in this type of work and why did they?
2. How did Jewish traders survive in London and how does Mayhew portray the Jewish traders?
3. How did the costermongers obtain their merchandise and what were the circumstances for borrowing?
4. What were the largest group of London street people and what did they do for a living?
5. Where did most costermongers and their families live
6. How did patterers earn their living and what is an example of a story that demonstrated a patterer's skill?
7. What area of trade did the Jewish traders dominant and what did Ragmen do?
8. Describe the facilities that were opened between 1847 and 1849 that caused the chimney sweeps to wash more often.
9. What was the story Mayhew wrote about a Cheap Jack?
10. What was the story Mayhew told about a crossing sweep from Dublin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The city of London used 3.5 million tons of coal each year and generated millions of tons of ash and soot. Dustmen were hired to haul off the ashes and dust, as well as haul away garbage and keep the streets clean.
1. Do you think London at this time might have been more polluted than modern cities? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss how you think the quality of the air in London in this era might have affected people's lives. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in depth, the ways in which a dustman's life and health would have been affected by the job. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Mayhew portrayed the Jewish traders as seldom being drinkers or gamblers, but having an extreme love of money and an unquenchable thirst for speculation in any commodity.
1. Do you think the fact that the Jewish immigrants were usually not drinkers or gamblers might account for some of the Jewish financial success? Explain your answer using examples from the text and your own life.
2. Explain what you might think Mayhew's feelings towards Jews might be from the above statement. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss ways in which "extreme love of money" might manifest in a person's life. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mayhew decried the fact that many couples in this group were unmarried, living in sin according to his beliefs. He reluctantly noted that despite the lack of a church ceremony, most were faithful to their mates and did their best to support their children.
1. Discuss the reasons that costermonger couples might not marry. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss, in depth, what you think the fact that couples without a church marriage ceremony were faithful to each other, implies about church sanctioned marriage. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Mayhew was reluctant to admit that unmarried couples were often monogamous and took care of their children. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)