|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mayhew say was the reason people from wealthier families became patterers?
2. What did Mayhew say all blind musicians had in common?
3. What did the two orphan girls whose story Mayhew told sell?
4. What was the most common tasks for which costers used math?
5. What did Mayhew think of the reason for wealthier people to become patterers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did most costermongers and their families live
2. What did mudlarks do and how did they bathe?
3. How did patterers earn their living and what is an example of a story that demonstrated a patterer's skill?
4. What were the largest group of London street people and what did they do for a living?
5. What caused a class hierarchy in immigrants in London?
6. How much money did sifters make, what did they do and why did they do it?
7. How did some youths work a crossing sweep job and what other ways did they make money?
8. What were some of the circumstances in the better lodging houses for the street people?
9. What area of trade did the Jewish traders dominant and what did Ragmen do?
10. What were some of the positive aspects of being a costermonger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most costermongers were uneducated, and had attended the free public schools only for a few years, or not at all. Although costers were adept at adding and subtracting to figure their profits, they were ignorant of multiplication and very few could read or write.
1. Discuss how lack of education contributes to poverty. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss some of the reasons that might keep a child of a costermonger family from attending free public schools. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Taking into consideration the factors of poverty, should the government of London in this era have made school mandatory? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Due to competition, the photographer had to offer portraits for a half-penny, an impossibly low price. To bolster earnings, he either lured people into buying a more expensive photo, or sold them bogus products like a "Patent American Air Preserver" that was actually just scrap paper.
1. After reading this photographer's story would you consider him to be of low moral character? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Explain why this photographer's actions demonstrates the validity of the cliche: buyer beware. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you believe it is the responsibility of the seller of a goods to make certain the goods are worth the selling price or it is the responsibility of the buyer to decide that? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think is Mayhew's agenda for this book? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Mayhew's research methods were valid? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. What do you think Mayhew could have done to produce a better book? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)