|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the fire eater educated?
(a) He has no education to speak of and cannot read or write.
(b) In private schools.
(c) On the streets.
(d) In three years of the public schools.
2. What areas have the most prostitution?
(a) Away from the police stations.
(b) In the industrial sections.
(c) In the wealthier sections where men could afford to pay.
(d) Those frequented by sailors.
3. Who were most of the street folk Mayhew discussed?
(a) The Homeless.
(d) The Insane.
4. What did the photographic man do before this job?
(a) Banjo player.
(b) Bar keeper.
5. What must someone who is physically or mentally unable to work do?
(a) Be taken care of by the government.
(b) He says he does not know what should be done about them.
(c) Rely upon others or charity.
(d) Find some small thing of which they are capable.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did he and his wife have to save to buy the camera?
2. Where does the puppeteer perform his Punch and Judy show?
3. How much did the fire eater earn?
4. What did 307 poor people do for the first time?
5. For how long had the clown worked in that capacity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a casual ward?
2. Who did Halliday say were swindlers?
3. What did conductors do and how did they get paid? What kind of person might become a conductor?
4. What was the purpose of the mission?
5. What was a "Dolly mop" and who did the author consider one?
6. Who did Tuckniss call a prostitute?
7. How prevalent was theft, where did it often occur and how did a thief make money on stolen goods?
8. Who did Mayhew call street folk?
9. What was the photographer's business like according to Mayhew?
10. How did the fire eater Mayhew interviewed become one and what was his early life like?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)