|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the photographic man do before this job?
(b) Banjo player.
(c) Bar keeper.
2. Whose son was the fire eater?
(a) The barber.
(b) The district police chief.
(c) The tax collector for that district.
(d) The constable.
3. What areas have the most prostitution?
(a) In the industrial sections.
(b) Away from the police stations.
(c) Those frequented by sailors.
(d) In the wealthier sections where men could afford to pay.
4. What were most common in Whitechapel, Shadwell, Spitalfields?
(a) Efficient police keeping prostitution at bay.
(b) Good Christian men and women working against prostitution and pornography.
(d) Large tent meetings.
5. What did the mother of the magician do to the family library?
(a) Donated the library to the London museum.
(c) Burned it when she was delirious and thought books were evil.
(d) Sold it all off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were most of the street folk Mayhew discussed?
2. To what may the discrepancy between the police estimate and Bishop Ryan's estimate be attributed?
3. According to the author, how did the gypsy women make money?
4. What were the street folk families like?
5. When did the magician's father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How prevalent was theft, where did it often occur and how did a thief make money on stolen goods?
2. Who was the magician Mayhew interviewed and how did he become a magician?
3. Who did Mayhew call street folk?
4. How did the fire eater Mayhew interviewed become one and what was his early life like?
5. How are the various ways to earn a living cataloged and what types of workers existed in England?
6. Why did the author say "Dolly shops" were suspect?
7. How many visits were done by the London City Mission and what were the results of those visits?
8. What differentiated street folk from patterers?
9. What did bus drivers own, what did they do and what other work had many of them done? How often did they work and what did their work prevent?
10. What was an example of a male prostitute the author gave?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)