|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the convicted thief who was interviewed born?
(b) A gypsy camp.
2. How many visits per day did each missionary make on average?
3. For whom did the street clown work for before becoming a clown?
(a) The dockmaster.
(b) His father's employer.
(c) The constable as a watchboy.
(d) A gang of crossing sweeps.
4. To what does Nemyng attribute the spread of vice in Europe?
(a) He has no idea what is the cause.
(b) The advent of new social mores among the young.
(c) The establishment of so many splinter groups from the Catholic church.
(d) The French Revolution.
5. What puppeteer did Mayhew interview?
(a) A former gentleman's footman.
(b) His own cousin.
(c) A friend who went to school with him when he was a boy.
(d) His own brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were most common in Whitechapel, Shadwell, Spitalfields?
2. What does Mayhew say about the education of street folk?
3. When did the one homeless shelter open?
4. What have many tried to do according to the narrator?
5. How many men were employed in Great Britain at the time of the writing of this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the clown Mayhew interviewed depressed and why was he a clown?
2. What was the purpose of the mission?
3. What was describe that was similar to modern crack houses, what were they like? What happened to the girl the author wrote about who was lured from home?
4. What does Mayhew say someone who is unable to work must do and how does he feel about those able to work who won't?
5. How did the fire eater Mayhew interviewed become one and what was his early life like?
6. What kind of education did many of the street folk have, what types of families did many of them come from and how did many of them start out?
7. How many visits were done by the London City Mission and what were the results of those visits?
8. What differentiated street folk from patterers?
9. What did conductors do and how did they get paid? What kind of person might become a conductor?
10. What did the London City Mission do?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)