|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the young girl lured from home?
(a) She managed to escape and seeks refuge in a church.
(b) She encountered Hemyng who rescues her.
(c) She was never heard from again.
(d) She quickly died of veneral disease.
2. What did the clown hide from his neighbors?
(b) His occupation.
(c) That he came from a very wealthy family.
(d) The good money he makes.
3. What group does Mayhew include among street folk that seems out of place?
(b) Drivers of horse-drawn omnibuses.
4. What did a 19-year-old newspaper printer like?
(b) To eat and drink extravagantly.
(c) Expensive dresses and jewelry.
(d) To have more than she needed.
5. When did the magician's father die?
(a) When the magician was 2.
(b) He was still alive at the time of the interview.
(c) When the magician was 25.
(d) When the magician was 10.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were buskers?
2. How many paupers, prisoners and lunatics does he cite?
3. What is a "Patent American Air Preserver"?
4. What did Hemyng call a soldier who was supported by a wealthy woman?
5. How many prostitutes did Bishop Ryan estimate worked in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the London City Mission do?
2. What was describe that was similar to modern crack houses, what were they like? What happened to the girl the author wrote about who was lured from home?
3. How did cab drivers obtain their cabs, how many hours did they work, and what did they sometimes do to mitigate their long hours?
4. Who did Mayhew call street folk?
5. What was an ongoing problem for the company from conductors and how did the bus companies combat that problem?
6. Who did Halliday say were swindlers?
7. How many prostitutes were there in London?
8. What differentiated street folk from patterers?
9. What was pornography and why did it become illegal in London?
10. What was an example of a male prostitute the author gave?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)