|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had one crossing sweep worked at until he was injured at age 36?
(a) A bricklayer.
(b) A ostler.
(c) A painter.
(d) A carpenter.
2. What is an example of a mutual aid society?
(a) Old Relics.
(d) Star Alliance.
3. What did the city of London use several tons of per year?
4. Who worked for very low wages in the hopes of finding something to sell?
5. What did most costermongers do with their children?
(a) Farmed them out.
(b) Sent them to orphanages.
(c) Left the babies to the elements so they didn't have to keep them.
(d) Did their best to support them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the police sometimes help crossing sweeps?
2. What type of modern store did costermongers fill in 1800s London?
3. What was the name of the vaudeville show costers enjoyed?
4. What did Mayhew say was the reason people from wealthier families became patterers?
5. Who were the forerunners to doormen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who normally held a crossing sweep position and how was that job viewed? How did the crossing sweep have to eat sometimes?
2. Where did most costermongers and their families live
3. What caused a class hierarchy in immigrants in London?
4. How honest were costers' suppliers and how did the costers deal with dishonesty?
5. What area of trade did the Jewish traders dominant and what did Ragmen do?
6. What modern institutions did Costermongers fill in the 1800's London and what are some of the merchandise they sold? What did the more intelligent costers do?
7. How did some youths work a crossing sweep job and what other ways did they make money?
8. How did patterers earn their living and what is an example of a story that demonstrated a patterer's skill?
9. About how much coal was used in London in a year and who was responsible for cleaning the aftermath of coal use?
10. What was the usual marriage and family situations like with costermongers?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)