|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did some of these low-end workers go into the business?
(a) No reason is mentioned.
(b) Because they make pretty good pay.
(c) Because they like being outside.
(d) Because their family was in it before them.
2. Who worked for very low wages in the hopes of finding something to sell?
3. What did one Jewish trader claim to have purchased?
(a) An old cloak belonging to the King.
(b) A knight's sword.
(c) A bishop's miter.
(d) An old cloak belonging to the Queen.
4. What type of gambling was most popular with costers?
(a) Playing chess for money.
(b) Betting on the horse races.
(c) Playing cards or pitching pennies.
(d) Betting on dog fights.
5. At about what age did many costermonger children begin to sell?
6. What did one of the young thieves who belonged to a gang tell Mayhew?
(a) That the older boys did most of the thieving.
(b) Their parents usually beat them if they didn't bring something home everyday.
(c) The rich don't care about them so why shouldn't they steal from them.
(d) He's rather earn an honest living if there were a job.
7. What kind of selling required the most capital and equipment?
(b) Food and beverage.
8. Where did costermongers usually live?
(a) In the city parks.
(b) In a rented room.
(c) In alms houses.
(d) Above their stores.
9. What is an example of a mutual aid society?
(a) Old Relics.
(d) Star Alliance.
10. What is one thing crossing sweeps did for tips?
(a) Tell someone who has been by their home.
(b) Watch for cops when something illegal was going on.
(c) Run numbers.
(d) Run errands.
11. Who looked down upon chimney sweepers?
(a) The mudlarks.
(d) The other chimney sweepers.
12. What happened if a coster child didn't have the money to pay for lodging?
(a) They hid under the bed.
(b) They were sent out to steal.
(c) They ran up a bill.
(d) They sold themselves to another renter.
13. Why were chimney sweeper apprentices often starved?
(a) To keep them small.
(b) To save money.
(c) They were fed just like every other apprentice.
(d) To control them.
14. Into what kind of fund did residents of better lodging houses pay?
(a) General maintenance funds.
(b) Entertainment funds.
(c) Newspaper funds.
(d) Medical care funds.
15. Who usually watched Jewish girls who peddled fruit?
(a) No one.
(b) Their boyfriends.
(c) Their brothers.
(d) Their mothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a job of last resort?
2. Which group in London dominated wholesale trading?
3. What happened when Mike's father died?
4. How long had the crossing week Mayhew interviewed work as a crossing sweep at the time of the interview?
5. Why did some costermonger parents require their children to work?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)