|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did many musician patterers support themselves?
(a) Singing for noble houses.
(b) Selling sheet music.
(c) Making musical instruments.
(d) Selling personalized songs.
2. Who often undersold Jewish traders?
(a) British traders.
(b) German traders.
(c) Irish traders.
(d) No one.
3. Where did a coster sleep if sales were bad?
(a) In the city parks.
(b) In the homeless shelter.
(c) In the doorway of a shop or church.
(d) In the debtor's prison.
4. From what ailment did Mayhew say all skilled laborers suffered?
(a) Chronic depression.
(b) Black lung disease.
5. Why did Mayhew say many costermongers lived in sin?
(a) They refused to acknowledge the crown.
(b) They stole merchandise.
(c) They were unmarried.
(d) They never attended church.
6. How were vendors categorized by Mayhew?
(a) Type of merchandise sold.
(b) By how much money they made.
(c) By their place of business.
(d) By the class in which they were born.
7. What was the name of the vaudeville show costers enjoyed?
(a) The Punch and Judy show.
(b) The Bawdy Ball.
(c) The Street Theater.
(d) The Penny Gaff.
8. What did the children who were put in jail think of the experience?
(a) They usually were beat at home when they got out of jail.
(b) They saw it as a vacation.
(c) They were ashamed.
(d) They were proud of themselves.
9. What happened to the man after he was injured?
(a) One arm was was amputated.
(b) He was almost blind.
(c) One leg was amputated.
(d) He dragged one leg.
10. At about what age did many costermonger children begin to sell?
11. What did the crossing sweep who Mayhew interviewed work at before finding an open intersection?
(a) Selling newspapers.
(b) Shining lanterns.
(c) Selling matches.
12. Why did some costermonger parents require their children to work?
(a) To build their character.
(b) To keep them out of the army.
(c) To make the parents' life easier.
(d) To contribute to family income.
13. What did few adult Jews seldom work as?
14. What is one thing crossing sweeps did for tips?
(a) Run errands.
(b) Tell someone who has been by their home.
(c) Watch for cops when something illegal was going on.
(d) Run numbers.
15. What kind of low lodging house segregated the renters by sex?
(a) All of the lodging houses did this.
(b) The best of the lodging houses.
(c) Only the one run by the government.
(d) The ones that were also brothels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to many coster children if their parents thought they did not bring enough money home at night?
2. What did the two orphan girls whose story Mayhew told sell?
3. To what was street vending an alternative?
4. What did many children do about food in the worse lodging houses?
5. What could the interest rate on stock reach?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)