|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 4: Those That Will Not Work.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Mayhew term the young men between 12 and 20 years old who had no job and loitered in the streets?
(a) Budding criminals.
(b) Unlucky stiffs.
(c) Lazy varmits.
2. Who is the author of the section on Suppression of Vice and Crime?
(a) Father Joseph McDougal.
(c) Professor John Dreyfuss.
(d) Rev. William Tuckniss, B.A.
3. Why did the puppeteer sometimes change the content of the Punch and Judy play?
(a) He wanted to have a moral to be learned.
(b) He never
(c) He'd get bored with it.
(d) He tailored it to specific audiences.
4. What did some people who was physically and mentally able to work do?
(a) No work.
(b) Take care of others but not themselves.
(c) Give to those less fortunate.
(d) Answer to a higher calling.
5. What did crossing sweeps do?
(a) Kept their assigned intersection clean.
(b) Went through the city cleaning all the public and church crosses.
(c) Swept the lantern cross pieces.
(d) Swept the street in front of a gentleman or lady as they were crossing it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had recently become illegal in London?
2. What type of toiletry items were provided by some of the better lodging houses?
3. To what does Hemyng say the theater, fireworks, low lodging houses, drinking, smoking, the music hall and blasphemy contribute?
4. How were dustmen hired?
5. Who is one casual warder profiled?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)