|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2: Of the Street-Jews.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened that people started bathing more often?
(a) Charity organizations opening more and offering free baths.
(b) The rise of public baths.
(c) A law forcing everyone to bath at least once a month.
(d) A law forcing everyone to bath at least once a week.
2. What did some of the bolder boys do?
(a) Collected the leavings out of the empty grain bins.
(b) Ran errands to nobles who often would have them arrested.
(c) Took the leavings out of the empty coal barges.
(d) Protected some of the more timid vendors.
3. What did the mutual aid societies do?
(a) Protect their equipment.
(b) Testify for them if they are being cheated.
(c) Protect their turf.
(d) Collect a small amount from each member to take care of them or their families if need be.
4. What type of freedom did costers enjoy that other workers did not?
(a) Being their own boss and not being stuck indoors.
(b) Being able to work when they wanted to work.
(c) Being able to put money away for retirement.
(d) Not having to pay taxes.
5. To what was street vending an alternative?
(a) Going to jail.
(b) Being sent to the military.
(c) Going to the workhouse.
(d) Being hung.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who often became chimney sweepers?
2. What was a job of last resort?
3. How often did chimney sweeps bathe in times earlier than that of Mayhew?
4. Why were chimney sweeper apprentices often starved?
5. Who was Mike?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)