|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2: Of the Street-Jews.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could the interest rate on stock reach?
(a) Twenty percent per day.
(b) Two hundred percent per year.
(c) Forty percent per week.
(d) 1040 percent per year.
2. What were the two usual reasons customers bought from patterers?
(a) For the entertainment and because they believed the spiel.
(b) The patterers were almost always pretty, young women.
(c) To make fun of the patterers.
(d) They felt God wanted them to buy.
3. How were vendors categorized by Mayhew?
(a) By the class in which they were born.
(b) By how much money they made.
(c) Type of merchandise sold.
(d) By their place of business.
4. What was another name for a patterer?
(a) Con artist.
5. Who looked down upon chimney sweepers?
(c) The other chimney sweepers.
(d) The mudlarks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mayhew say was the reason people from wealthier families became patterers?
2. What was a huckster who sold hardware at a fair called?
3. What kind of low lodging house segregated the renters by sex?
4. What happened if a coster child didn't have the money to pay for lodging?
5. Who usually watched Jewish girls who peddled fruit?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)