|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2: Of the Street-Jews.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mayhew say all blind musicians had in common?
(a) They were all the best musicians.
(b) They were all poor musicians.
(c) They were all blind at birth.
(d) They were all religious.
2. What is one thing crossing sweeps did for tips?
(a) Run errands.
(b) Run numbers.
(c) Watch for cops when something illegal was going on.
(d) Tell someone who has been by their home.
3. Who often became chimney sweepers?
(a) Many young men since it paid very well.
(b) Destitute orphans.
(c) The tallest member of a Costermonger family.
(d) The smallest member of a Costermonger family.
4. To what was street vending an alternative?
(a) Going to jail.
(b) Going to the workhouse.
(c) Being hung.
(d) Being sent to the military.
5. What did the mutual aid societies do?
(a) Protect their equipment.
(b) Collect a small amount from each member to take care of them or their families if need be.
(c) Testify for them if they are being cheated.
(d) Protect their turf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of education did most costermongers have?
2. How did servants sometimes augment their pay without owner's permission?
3. What would very occasionally happen to a dependable crossing sweep?
4. Why did Mayhew say many costermongers lived in sin?
5. Why were chimney sweeper apprentices often starved?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)