|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 1: Of the London Street-folk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mayhew say was the reason people from wealthier families became patterers?
(b) Believing it was the way God called people to live.
(d) Being kicked out of their home.
2. On what day of the week were regular customers allowed to stay free in some lodging houses?
3. What could the interest rate on stock reach?
(a) 1040 percent per year.
(b) Two hundred percent per year.
(c) Twenty percent per day.
(d) Forty percent per week.
4. Where did costermongers usually live?
(a) Above their stores.
(b) In the city parks.
(c) In a rented room.
(d) In alms houses.
5. What type of gambling was most popular with costers?
(a) Betting on dog fights.
(b) Playing chess for money.
(c) Betting on the horse races.
(d) Playing cards or pitching pennies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to many coster children if their parents thought they did not bring enough money home at night?
2. What type of freedom did costers enjoy that other workers did not?
3. What did Mayhew think of the reason for wealthier people to become patterers?
4. What percentage of people earning their living on the streets were vendors?
5. What kind of low lodging house segregated the renters by sex?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)