|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 1: Of the London Street-folk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did wholesale suppliers cheat costers?
(a) Selling rotten produce or shortchanging them.
(b) Holding the stock until it was sold and selling to two different costers.
(c) Making the terms of sell difficult to understand.
(d) Adding hidden interest rates.
2. What did costermongers hope to do by dark everyday?`
(a) Win big at gambling.
(b) Steal and fence enough goods for whiskey.
(c) They had no daily goals.
(d) Sell enough merchandise to feed their family every night.
3. What did the most intelligent and well-to-do costers sell?
(a) Food and drink.
(b) Hats and scarfs.
(c) Sewing goods.
4. What type of freedom did costers enjoy that other workers did not?
(a) Being their own boss and not being stuck indoors.
(b) Being able to put money away for retirement.
(c) Being able to work when they wanted to work.
(d) Not having to pay taxes.
5. What type of modern store did costermongers fill in 1800s London?
(a) Grocery stores.
(b) Clothing stores.
(c) Convenience stores.
(d) Department stores.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was another name for a patterer?
2. From what ailment did Mayhew say all skilled laborers suffered?
3. What could the interest rate on stock reach?
4. What type of toiletry items were provided by some of the better lodging houses?
5. What was the most common tasks for which costers used math?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)