|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 1: Of the London Street-folk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did many children do about food in the worse lodging houses?
(a) Did not eat.
(b) Steal meat, bacon or potatoes.
(c) Went through the garbage piles.
(d) Beg from other renters.
2. What did most costermongers do with their children?
(a) Left the babies to the elements so they didn't have to keep them.
(b) Did their best to support them.
(c) Farmed them out.
(d) Sent them to orphanages.
3. Where did the street people of London in the 1800s conduct their trade?
(a) In booths in the market.
(b) In their stores.
(c) Only in the city park.
(d) On the streets and sidewalks.
4. What did patterers deliver to their potential customers?
(a) Sermons on the sinfulness of life.
(b) Short, pithy sales pitches.
(c) Long, creative sales pitches.
(d) Monologues on how to do things.
5. What did the two orphan girls whose story Mayhew told sell?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of gambling was most popular with costers?
2. How did many musician patterers support themselves?
3. On what did coster children often waste their money?
4. What happened to many coster children if their parents thought they did not bring enough money home at night?
5. What did Mayhew say all blind musicians had in common?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)