|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2: Of the Street-Jews.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the two usual reasons customers bought from patterers?
(a) For the entertainment and because they believed the spiel.
(b) The patterers were almost always pretty, young women.
(c) They felt God wanted them to buy.
(d) To make fun of the patterers.
2. What could the interest rate on stock reach?
(a) Forty percent per week.
(b) 1040 percent per year.
(c) Two hundred percent per year.
(d) Twenty percent per day.
3. How did servants sometimes augment their pay without owner's permission?
(a) Bring home customers to cut their hair or shave.
(b) Selling off older or little-used clothing of their employers.
(c) Sell off leftover food items.
(d) They did not dare augment their pay or they'd lose their job.
4. What did most costermongers do with their children?
(a) Did their best to support them.
(b) Left the babies to the elements so they didn't have to keep them.
(c) Farmed them out.
(d) Sent them to orphanages.
5. What did Mayhew think of the reason for wealthier people to become patterers?
(a) He thought it was extremely dishonorable.
(b) He had no personal opinion.
(c) He thought it was courageous.
(d) He thought it was against God's commandments.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an example of a mutual aid society?
2. What did some of the bolder boys do?
3. What did one of the young thieves who belonged to a gang tell Mayhew?
4. What kind of education did most costermongers have?
5. What happened if a coster child didn't have the money to pay for lodging?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)