|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2: Of the Street-Jews.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would very occasionally happen to a dependable crossing sweep?
(a) He would be hired by the city council to supervise other crossing sweeps.
(b) He would be beat up by less scrupulous workers.
(c) He would be given such good tips he could retire.
(d) He would be given a job as footman or porter in a household.
2. How did servants sometimes augment their pay without owner's permission?
(a) Sell off leftover food items.
(b) Bring home customers to cut their hair or shave.
(c) They did not dare augment their pay or they'd lose their job.
(d) Selling off older or little-used clothing of their employers.
3. Who usually watched Jewish girls who peddled fruit?
(a) Their mothers.
(b) Their boyfriends.
(c) Their brothers.
(d) No one.
4. What did the two orphan girls whose story Mayhew told sell?
5. What did some of the bolder boys do?
(a) Took the leavings out of the empty coal barges.
(b) Ran errands to nobles who often would have them arrested.
(c) Collected the leavings out of the empty grain bins.
(d) Protected some of the more timid vendors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who looked down upon chimney sweepers?
2. To what was street vending an alternative?
3. What did crossing sweeps do?
4. What did shovelers do?
5. How did wholesale suppliers cheat costers?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)