|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2: Of the Street-Jews.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what did coster children often waste their money?
2. Why did Mayhew say many costermongers lived in sin?
(a) They refused to acknowledge the crown.
(b) They stole merchandise.
(c) They were unmarried.
(d) They never attended church.
3. What kind of low lodging house segregated the renters by sex?
(a) Only the one run by the government.
(b) All of the lodging houses did this.
(c) The ones that were also brothels.
(d) The best of the lodging houses.
4. Where did a coster sleep if sales were bad?
(a) In the debtor's prison.
(b) In the city parks.
(c) In the homeless shelter.
(d) In the doorway of a shop or church.
5. How did Mike manage to live?
(a) By selling bits and pieces he'd find on the street.
(b) By pilfering from the marketplace.
(c) His master with whom he apprenticed gave him room and board.
(d) By joining a crossing sweep gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a huckster who sold hardware at a fair called?
2. Where did costermongers usually live?
3. How did wholesale suppliers cheat costers?
4. How did coster runaway children usually support themselves?
5. How did servants sometimes augment their pay without owner's permission?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)