|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one necessity is FEMA afraid Washington, D.C. or New York City cannot provide in the event of a large bomb attack?
2. What happens to the Weasel as he begins to enter his house at the beginning of the novel?
3. Why does Alex go to Gitmo?
4. Who calls during a meeting Alex attends with the directors of the FBI, CIA, and Homeland Security?
5. What name does the mastermind of this plan call the men carrying out his plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alex Cross go to Seattle while on vacation on the West Coast?
2. What does the Wolf warn the law enforcement officials not to do?
3. What question about the bombing in Sunrise Valley plagues Alex Cross the most?
4. From where was the Wolf's latest call made?
5. What does Alex learn the Weasel was attempting to sell the terrorists during his visit to the apartment?
6. What comes up missing from an Air Force base in New Mexico?
7. What reason does the Wolf give for blowing up the bridge?
8. Who are the men who caused a disruption in the inner courtyard of the Hoover Building, allowing for the assassination attempt undertaken by Nikki Williams?
9. How does Alex learn the Weasel escaped the building during the raid?
10. Who does Frances Puslowski see coming toward her trailer park as she hangs out the laundry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the kidnapping of Alex Cross's family. How many times has this happened to Cross's family? How does Alex feel about this attack on his family? Does it impact Cross' desire to be a cop? Is it supposed to? What is the purpose of this kidnapping? How does it affect the family members? How does it compare with a kidnapping Christine Johnson suffered in a previous novel? Why does the author make this parallel connection?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss motivation in relation to one of the following characters. Describe what motivates the character, the reason, and how it impacts the character's actions. Cite quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Alex Cross
2) Christine Johnson
3) The Wolf
4) The Weasel
Essay Topic 3
Discuss structure. The novel is divided into more than one hundred twenty chapters. How does this number of chapters affect the tone and tension within the novel? Does the multiple use of short chapters increase the suspense of the plot? Does this number of chapters make the book easier or harder to read? Do these chapters offer all the information the reader needs to comprehend the direction of the plot? Discuss other elements of the novel's structure and the impact they have on the plot. Use examples from the novel.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)