|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bill Mead’s companion on the tennis courts in Part 2, Chapter 20?
2. How many hotels, motels and tourist homes does H.H. say he stayed in as he tracked Lolita and her kidnapper in Part 2, Chapter 23?
3. When Lolita becomes ill in Part 2, Chapter 22, H.H. says he immediately thinks of what, “as any American parent would”?
4. Who does H.H. believe to be following him and Lolita in a red convertible in Part 2, Chapter 18?
5. According to the narrator in Part 2, Chapter 23, he and Lolita had seldom made more than how many miles per day during their most recent journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does H.H. meet the character named Rita in Part 2? How does he describe their relationship?
2. How does Vladimir Nabokov demonstrate irony in Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. What does H.H. describe about his and Lolita’s experiences at the cinema in Part 2, Chapter 3?
4. What does H.H. surmise about the play that Lolita is performing in, in Part 2, Chapter 13?
5. Where do H.H. and Lolita go after leaving the Enchanted Hunters Inn in Part 2, Chapter 1? Where do they stay?
6. How does H.H. go about finding the missing Lolita in Part 2, Chapter 19?
7. What events does H.H. describe during the period surrounding Lolita’s birthday in Part 2, Chapter 12?
8. What does H.H. learn from the hospital regarding Lolita’s departure and location in Part 2, Chapter 22? How does he respond?
9. What does Lolita’s school friend write to her in Part 2, Chapter 19? What happens as H.H. reads the letter?
10. How does H.H. describe his friendship with Gaston Godin in Part 2? Why is H.H. not as concerned about Gaston as he is the other neighbors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Popular Culture in Lolita
a. What are examples of allusions to popular culture of the 1950s in the novel? What statements do you think the author is making with each of these examples?
b. What role do movies and film play in Lolita? Why are movies so compelling to Lolita? How does H.H. feel about the movies they see?
Essay Topic 2
Describe H.H.’s first impressions of Lolita and her mother, Charlotte Haze, in Part 1. Prior to seeing Lolita, what are H.H.’s plans regarding the room rental? Why does Lolita change his mind? Whom does Lolita remind H.H. of? In what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the publication history of Lolita, controversies after its publication, the banning of the novel, and the criticism, biography, and works of author Vladimir Nabokov. Where did Nabokov choose to first have Lolita published? Why? How did critics respond to the controversial subject matter of the novel?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)