|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man who rents H.H. his home in Part 2, Chapter 4 is a teacher of what at the local college?
2. The narrator states in Part 2, Chapter 1 that after zig-zagging across the country with Lolita from August 1947 to August 1948, they eventually petered out and settled in what college town?
3. Which of Lolita’s school friends is described in Part 2, Chapter 9 as “a plump lateral child with hairy legs”?
4. Where does H.H. describe seeing a “boulder, with a plaque, in memory of the author of “Trees” in Part 2, Chapter 2?
5. How many times does H.H. say he visited Lolita at the hospital in Part 2, Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H.H. describe his and Lolita’s arrival in Beardsley in Part 2, Chapter 4? Why has he come here?
2. Where do H.H. and Lolita go after leaving the Enchanted Hunters Inn in Part 2, Chapter 1? Where do they stay?
3. What does Lolita’s school friend write to her in Part 2, Chapter 19? What happens as H.H. reads the letter?
4. How does the narrator describe the conflicts and resolutions between himself and Lolita in Part 2, Chapter 2?
5. How does H.H. describe his friendship with Gaston Godin in Part 2? Why is H.H. not as concerned about Gaston as he is the other neighbors?
6. How does H.H. go about finding the missing Lolita in Part 2, Chapter 19?
7. What events does H.H. describe during the period surrounding Lolita’s birthday in Part 2, Chapter 12?
8. How does H.H. go about finding Lolita in Part 2, Chapter 23? How successful is he in tracking her down?
9. What mysterious incident takes place involving a phone call to H.H. in Part 2, Chapter 21?
10. What does Miss Pratt suggest regarding Lolita’s performance in the drama department in Part 2, Chapter 11? How does H.H. respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author’s use of literary allusion in the novel. What does the character of Annabel Leigh allude to? How does H.H.’s use of allusion help to establish his character? What authors are cited the most and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss H.H.’s visit to the clothing stores in Parkington and his purchases there. Why does H.H. make these purchases? What reservations does he have interacting with the saleswomen? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Popular Culture in Lolita
a. What are examples of allusions to popular culture of the 1950s in the novel? What statements do you think the author is making with each of these examples?
b. What role do movies and film play in Lolita? Why are movies so compelling to Lolita? How does H.H. feel about the movies they see?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)