|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town is described in Part 2, Chapter 16 as being “only thirty miles north from [Lolita’s] home town”?
2. Who has rented H.H. and Lolita a house in Part 2, Chapter 3?
3. Where in New Orleans does the tour guide describe sidewalks that may “feature entertainment by pickaninnies who will tap-dance for pennies” in Part 2, Chapter 2?
4. Which of Lolita’s school friends is described in Part 2, Chapter 9 as “a plump lateral child with hairy legs”?
5. How far does H.H. say he drove to buy books for Lolita while she was hospitalized in Part 2, Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does H.H. regret not going to Mexico in Part 2, Chapter 3?
2. How does H.H. describe his friendship with Gaston Godin in Part 2? Why is H.H. not as concerned about Gaston as he is the other neighbors?
3. How does H.H. effectively manipulate Lolita into secrecy regarding their sexual relationship in Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. How does H.H. go about finding Lolita in Part 2, Chapter 23? How successful is he in tracking her down?
5. What does Lolita’s school friend write to her in Part 2, Chapter 19? What happens as H.H. reads the letter?
6. What does H.H. describe about his and Lolita’s experiences at the cinema in Part 2, Chapter 3?
7. What mysterious incident takes place involving a phone call to H.H. in Part 2, Chapter 21?
8. How does the narrator describe the conflicts and resolutions between himself and Lolita in Part 2, Chapter 2?
9. How does the narrator characterize Lolita’s demeanor in Part 2, Chapter 1?
10. What does H.H. surmise about the play that Lolita is performing in, in Part 2, Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the publication history of Lolita, controversies after its publication, the banning of the novel, and the criticism, biography, and works of author Vladimir Nabokov. Where did Nabokov choose to first have Lolita published? Why? How did critics respond to the controversial subject matter of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Charlotte Haze and the narrator’s impressions of this character in the novel. How old is Ms. Haze? How many children has she had? How long ago has her late husband died?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of symbolism and imagery in Lolita. What powerful symbols are present in the scene between Lolita and H.H. while her mother is at church in Part 1, Chapter 13? What does the narrator himself remark about this symbolism?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)