|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cleaning woman who H.H. “inherited with the vacuum cleaner from the previous tenants” in Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. The man who rents H.H. his home in Part 2, Chapter 4 is a teacher of what at the local college?
3. What is the name of the “brisk, briskly rouged, blue-eyed widow who ran the motor court” in Part 2, Chapter 22?
4. Inside of what book of Lolita’s does H.H. say he once discovered eight one-dollar notes in Part 2, Chapter 7?
5. What woman does H.H. become involved in after Lolita’s departure in Part 2, Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Miss Pratt call H.H. to a meeting in Part 2, Chapter 11? What are his impressions as he enters the meeting?
2. What does Lolita’s school friend write to her in Part 2, Chapter 19? What happens as H.H. reads the letter?
3. What mysterious incident takes place involving a phone call to H.H. in Part 2, Chapter 21?
4. What does H.H. remark about the poem he has written in Part 2, Chapter 25?
5. What events does H.H. describe during the period surrounding Lolita’s birthday in Part 2, Chapter 12?
6. How does the narrator characterize Lolita’s demeanor in Part 2, Chapter 1?
7. How has Lolita’s behavior toward H.H. changed in Part 2, Chapter 3? What are his principle motivations in this chapter?
8. How does H.H. describe his motivations for writing down this information in Part 2, Chapter 2? What does he describe?
9. What does Miss Pratt advise H.H. regarding his stepdaughter’s sexual education in Part 2, Chapter 11?
10. How does H.H. go about finding Lolita in Part 2, Chapter 23? How successful is he in tracking her down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of symbolism and imagery in Lolita. What powerful symbols are present in the scene between Lolita and H.H. while her mother is at church in Part 1, Chapter 13? What does the narrator himself remark about this symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
a. Discuss the plot structure of Lolita. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Lolita compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Nabokov’s writing?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the genre of Lolita. What genre is the novel traditionally grouped into and how did Nabokov respond to this grouping? What genre did Nabokov feel Lolita fit best into? Why? Do you agree?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)