|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of Lolita’s tennis abilities, the narrator says in Part 2, Chapter 20 that one of the pearls of her game “was a short half-volley that Ned Litam had taught her” where?
2. According to the narrator in Part 2, Chapter 23, he and Lolita had seldom made more than how many miles per day during their most recent journey?
3. According to the narrator in Part 2, Chapter 23, “thousand-mile stretch of silk-smooth road separated Kasbeam” from where?
4. The narrator says of Lolita’s friend Mona in Part 2, Chapter 9 that she “was burdened with” an I.Q. of what?
5. Of what act does the narrator say he deplores “as lending itself to a dreadful pun, the revenge that the Gods of Semantics take against tight-zippered Philistines” in Part 2, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does H.H. remark about the poem he has written in Part 2, Chapter 25?
2. How does H.H. describe his and Lolita’s arrival in Beardsley in Part 2, Chapter 4? Why has he come here?
3. What does Lolita’s school friend write to her in Part 2, Chapter 19? What happens as H.H. reads the letter?
4. Where do H.H. and Lolita go after leaving the Enchanted Hunters Inn in Part 2, Chapter 1? Where do they stay?
5. What events does H.H. describe during the period surrounding Lolita’s birthday in Part 2, Chapter 12?
6. Where does H.H. meet the character named Rita in Part 2? How does he describe their relationship?
7. What does H.H. learn from the hospital regarding Lolita’s departure and location in Part 2, Chapter 22? How does he respond?
8. What does H.H. describe about his and Lolita’s experiences at the cinema in Part 2, Chapter 3?
9. How does H.H. go about finding the missing Lolita in Part 2, Chapter 19?
10. How does H.H. characterize his neighbors in Beardsley in Part 2, Chapter 4? What relationship does he carry on with these characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the genre of Lolita. What genre is the novel traditionally grouped into and how did Nabokov respond to this grouping? What genre did Nabokov feel Lolita fit best into? Why? Do you agree?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss H.H.’s intentions and thoughts about murdering Charlotte. How does he portend to commit this act? What stops him? What observations does he make regarding pedophiles and murderers? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss H.H.’s visit to the clothing stores in Parkington and his purchases there. Why does H.H. make these purchases? What reservations does he have interacting with the saleswomen? Why?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)