|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years her senior does Charlotte Haze say her late husband was in Part 1, Chapter 16?
2. Of his new wife Charlotte, the narrator states in Part 1, Chapter 18, “I discovered that although she could not control her heart or her cries, she was a woman of” what?
3. What name does the narrator give the “main character” in his described scenario with Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 13?
4. In what year did H.H.’s father send him to a lycée in Lyon?
5. On the Sunday when H.H., Charlotte Haze, and Lolita are to go on a picnic, what friend of Lolita’s cancels because she is sick in Part 1, Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H.H. succeed in drugging Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 27?
2. Why does H.H. visit his “family doctor” in Part 1, Chapter 22? What does he obtain there?
3. How does H.H. describe his first months in North America in Part 1, Chapter 9? Where does he live and work?
4. How does H.H. describe his young adulthood in Part 1, Chapter 5? How does he define “nymphets” in this chapter?
5. Where does H.H. first catch sight of Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 10? What are his impressions of the girl?
6. How would you characterize H.H. as narrator of the story, based on his language style in Part 1, Chapters 1-6?
7. How does H.H. describe his relationship with Annabel in Part 1, Chapters 2-4? What impact did this relationship have on the protagonist?
8. What insinuations does Lolita make regarding her relationship with H.H. in Part 1, Chapter 27?
9. How does H.H. describe his suppression of his lust for young girls in Part 1, Chapter 5?
10. How does H.H. describe the dissolution of his first marriage in Part 1, Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the novel. During what time period is the narrative set? How is this established through exposition? What aspects of this era stand out and how does the period differ from today?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the genre of Lolita. What genre is the novel traditionally grouped into and how did Nabokov respond to this grouping? What genre did Nabokov feel Lolita fit best into? Why? Do you agree?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the transitions in narrative style and form of address throughout the novel. When and where does H.H. break from a strict narrative style to direct address? Where does he speak of himself in third person? What do these instances indicate?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)