|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator say he loved “a certain initial girl-child” prior to Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. What kind of art does Valeria produce?
3. What is the name of Charlotte Haze’s late husband and Lolita’s father in the novel?
4. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 22, the narrator states, “Remarkable how difficult it is to conceal things--especially when one's wife keeps” what?
5. What does H.H. describe Lolita’s weight as being when he is purchasing new clothes for her in Part 1, Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H.H. respond to Charlotte’s suggestion of going to England in Part 1, Chapter 21?
2. What information does H.H. learn from Charlotte’s letter in Part 1, Chapter 16? How does he respond to this information?
3. What events lead to H.H. and Lolita being alone together in the house in Part 1, Chapter 13? How does he describe their meeting in the house?
4. What conversation do H.H. and Lolita have regarding her mother when he arrives at camp in Part 1, Chapter 27?
5. How does H.H.’s sexual experience with Lolita progress in Part 1, Chapter 13?
6. How does H.H. describe the dissolution of his first marriage in Part 1, Chapter 8?
7. What does H.H. relate of his first wife’s later whereabouts and death in Part 1, Chapter 8?
8. How does H.H. describe his relationship with Annabel in Part 1, Chapters 2-4? What impact did this relationship have on the protagonist?
9. How is H.H.’s second marriage and wedding night described in Part 1, Chapter 18?
10. How would you characterize H.H. as narrator of the story, based on his language style in Part 1, Chapters 1-6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Literary Allusion and Language
a. Discuss the author’s use of literary allusion in Lolita. Do you think that literature is the equivalent to H.H. as movies are to Lolita? What does this imply about their characters?
b. H.H. makes several references to the works of Edgar Allan Poe in the novel. What similarities exist between Lolita and Poe’s writing?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the genre of Lolita. What genre is the novel traditionally grouped into and how did Nabokov respond to this grouping? What genre did Nabokov feel Lolita fit best into? Why? Do you agree?
Essay Topic 3
Describe H.H.’s first impressions of Lolita and her mother, Charlotte Haze, in Part 1. Prior to seeing Lolita, what are H.H.’s plans regarding the room rental? Why does Lolita change his mind? Whom does Lolita remind H.H. of? In what ways?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)