|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Haze live in Part 1, Chapter 10?
2. With whom did Lolita have her first heterosexual experience?
3. What is the name of the dentist that Mrs. Haze uses that is also her neighbor in Part 1, Chapter 14?
4. H.H. says of Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 15 that she would be thirteen on what date?
5. In what year did H.H.’s father send him to a lycée in Lyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H.H. describe his dinner with Charlotte Haze in Part 1, Chapter 14?
2. How would you characterize H.H. as narrator of the story, based on his language style in Part 1, Chapters 1-6?
3. How does H.H. describe his first months in North America in Part 1, Chapter 9? Where does he live and work?
4. How does H.H. succeed in drugging Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 27?
5. What solidifies H.H.’s intentions regarding Charlotte and Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 17? What action does he take?
6. How does H.H. describe the dissolution of his first marriage in Part 1, Chapter 8?
7. What preparations does H.H. make toward furthering his agenda with Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 25?
8. What are H.H.’s intentions and concerns as he leaves Ramsdale in Part 1, Chapter 24?
9. How does H.H. describe his experience with a young French prostitute in Part 1, Chapter 6?
10. What does H.H. discover outside after receiving Leslie Tomson’s phone call in Part 1, Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Valeria in the novel. How does H.H. meet Valeria? What are his principle objectives in marrying her? How does he characterize their marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Literary Allusion and Language
a. Discuss the author’s use of literary allusion in Lolita. Do you think that literature is the equivalent to H.H. as movies are to Lolita? What does this imply about their characters?
b. H.H. makes several references to the works of Edgar Allan Poe in the novel. What similarities exist between Lolita and Poe’s writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss pedophilia and hebephilia, as well as the different qualities, symptoms, and assessments of each. How does contemporary psychiatry explain these phenomena? How are pedophiles and hebophiles treated for their sexual obsessions with children? Is there such a thing as “recovery” from pedophilia and hebephilia?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)