|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Lolita have her first heterosexual experience?
2. Where does Mrs. Haze live in Part 1, Chapter 10?
3. What had H.H. first planned to take a degree in before he switched to English literature?
4. Lolita shows H.H. at picture from a magazine in Part 1, Chapter 13. In the picture, a surrealist painter is relaxing on a beach near a plaster replica of what work of art?
5. To what doctor does H.H. go to obtain sleeping medication in Part 1, Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation do H.H. and Lolita have regarding her mother when he arrives at camp in Part 1, Chapter 27?
2. How does H.H. describe his suppression of his lust for young girls in Part 1, Chapter 5?
3. Whom does H.H. marry in Part 1, Chapter 8? What eventually leads the protagonist to the United States?
4. How does H.H. describe his parentage, birthplace, and childhood in Part 1, Chapter 2?
5. What preparations does H.H. make toward furthering his agenda with Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 25?
6. How does H.H. succeed in drugging Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 27?
7. How does H.H. describe his relationship with Annabel in Part 1, Chapters 2-4? What impact did this relationship have on the protagonist?
8. Why does H.H. visit his “family doctor” in Part 1, Chapter 22? What does he obtain there?
9. What information does H.H. learn from Charlotte’s letter in Part 1, Chapter 16? How does he respond to this information?
10. How does H.H. describe his young adulthood in Part 1, Chapter 5? How does he define “nymphets” in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the novel. During what time period is the narrative set? How is this established through exposition? What aspects of this era stand out and how does the period differ from today?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Charlotte Haze and the narrator’s impressions of this character in the novel. How old is Ms. Haze? How many children has she had? How long ago has her late husband died?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the transitions in narrative style and form of address throughout the novel. When and where does H.H. break from a strict narrative style to direct address? Where does he speak of himself in third person? What do these instances indicate?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)