|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. H.H. refers to himself as “a brand-new American citizen of” what origin in Part 1, Chapter 25?
2. The narrator states in Part 1, Chapter 31, “The stipulation of the Roman law, according to which a girl may marry at twelve, was adopted by” what?
3. Of his wife Charlotte, H.H. says in Part 1, Chapter 18, “the only couple with whom she had relations of real cordiality, devoid of any arriõre-pensèe or practical foresight, were” with what couple that had just returned from Chile?
4. What couple in H.H. and Charlotte’s neighborhood has a “hysterical setter” that frequently chases cars?
5. The narrator states in Part 1, Chapter 25, “Oh, Lolita, you are my girl, as” who “was Poe’s”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H.H. describe his experience with a young French prostitute in Part 1, Chapter 6?
2. What leads to H.H.’s initial thoughts of murdering Charlotte in Part 1, Chapter 20?
3. How does H.H. describe his dinner with Charlotte Haze in Part 1, Chapter 14?
4. Whom does H.H. marry in Part 1, Chapter 8? What eventually leads the protagonist to the United States?
5. What does H.H. relate of his first wife’s later whereabouts and death in Part 1, Chapter 8?
6. What does H.H. discover about his reservation when he arrives at the Enchanted Hunters Inn in Part 1, Chapter 27?
7. What written work does H.H. present in Part 1, Chapter 11? What is revealed through this text?
8. How does H.H. describe his young adulthood in Part 1, Chapter 5? How does he define “nymphets” in this chapter?
9. How does H.H. describe his parentage, birthplace, and childhood in Part 1, Chapter 2?
10. Where does H.H. first catch sight of Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 10? What are his impressions of the girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe H.H.’s first impressions of Lolita and her mother, Charlotte Haze, in Part 1. Prior to seeing Lolita, what are H.H.’s plans regarding the room rental? Why does Lolita change his mind? Whom does Lolita remind H.H. of? In what ways?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s use of literary allusion in the novel. What does the character of Annabel Leigh allude to? How does H.H.’s use of allusion help to establish his character? What authors are cited the most and why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Lolita, or Dolores Haze, in the novel. How old is Lolita when H.H. meets her? What characteristics does she exhibit? What about the character draws H.H. in?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)