|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years her senior does Charlotte Haze say her late husband was in Part 1, Chapter 16?
2. What does H.H. describe Lolita’s weight as being when he is purchasing new clothes for her in Part 1, Chapter 25?
(a) 60 pounds.
(b) 55 pounds.
(c) 78 pounds.
(d) 71 pounds.
3. The camp that Charlotte Haze is sending Lolita to in Part 1, Chapter 14 is run by whom?
(a) Shirley Holmes.
(b) Leslie Tompson.
(c) Richard Schiller.
(d) John Galsworthy.
4. Of Lolita, the narrator says in Part 1, Chapter 29, “Her kiss, to my delirious embarrassment, had some rather comical refinements of flutter and probe which made me conclude she had been coached at an early age by” what?
(a) “A sinful whore.”
(b) “A prostitute.”
(c) “An older friend.”
(d) “A little Lesbian.”
5. The narrator states in Part 1, Chapter 1, “You can always count on a murderer for” what?
(a) “A silent, wicked lie.”
(b) “A turn of matching turns.”
(c) “A solid alibi.”
(d) “A fancy prose style.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Charlotte tells H.H. in Part 1, Chapter 18 that if he “did not believe in Our Christian God, she would” do what?
2. The accident that killed Charlotte has only been reported in what newspaper, according to the narrator in Part 1, Chapter 25?
3. Where does H.H. find his pocket diary after Charlotte has taken it from his locked table in Part 1, Chapter 22?
4. What kind of art does Valeria produce?
5. Who comes down to the lake to paint as H.H. and Charlotte are laying in the “private beach” area in Part 1, Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize H.H.’s motivations toward Lolita based on his observations in Part 1, Chapter 14?
2. How does H.H. describe his relationship with Annabel in Part 1, Chapters 2-4? What impact did this relationship have on the protagonist?
3. How would you characterize H.H. as narrator of the story, based on his language style in Part 1, Chapters 1-6?
4. What written work does H.H. present in Part 1, Chapter 11? What is revealed through this text?
5. How does H.H. succeed in drugging Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 27?
6. What preparations does H.H. make toward furthering his agenda with Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 25?
7. Where does H.H. first catch sight of Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 10? What are his impressions of the girl?
8. What does H.H. discover about his reservation when he arrives at the Enchanted Hunters Inn in Part 1, Chapter 27?
9. How does H.H. describe his first months in North America in Part 1, Chapter 9? Where does he live and work?
10. Why does H.H. visit his “family doctor” in Part 1, Chapter 22? What does he obtain there?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)