|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lolita shows H.H. at picture from a magazine in Part 1, Chapter 13. In the picture, a surrealist painter is relaxing on a beach near a plaster replica of what work of art?
(a) The Moai.
(c) The Venus de Milo.
(d) The Great Sphinx.
2. The narrator describes a pocket diary with what golden year inscribed in its upper left-hand corner in Part 1, Chapter 11?
3. Who telephones H.H. to tell him that Charlotte has been killed in Part 1, Chapter 22?
(a) Rosaline Honeck.
(b) Shirley Holmes.
(c) Avis Chapson.
(d) Leslie Tomson.
4. Of his wife Charlotte, H.H. says in Part 1, Chapter 18, “the only couple with whom she had relations of real cordiality, devoid of any arriõre-pensèe or practical foresight, were” with what couple that had just returned from Chile?
(a) The Chapmans.
(b) The Galsworthys.
(c) The Farlows.
(d) The Hamiltons.
5. What is the name of the camp that Charlotte Haze is sending Lolita to in Part 1, Chapter 15?
(a) Camp Q.
(b) Camp A.
(c) Camp Q.
(d) Camp J.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charlotte tells H.H. in Part 1, Chapter 21 that they are going where in the fall?
2. In what year does H.H. marry Valeria?
3. What was Annabel’s last name, according to the narrator in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. How many days does H.H. say he and Charlotte cohabitated in Part 1, Chapter 18?
5. To what doctor does H.H. go to obtain sleeping medication in Part 1, Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does H.H. relate of his first wife’s later whereabouts and death in Part 1, Chapter 8?
2. How would you characterize H.H.’s motivations toward Lolita based on his observations in Part 1, Chapter 14?
3. How does H.H. describe the dissolution of his first marriage in Part 1, Chapter 8?
4. What insinuations does Lolita make regarding her relationship with H.H. in Part 1, Chapter 27?
5. How does H.H. respond to Charlotte’s suggestion of going to England in Part 1, Chapter 21?
6. What does H.H. discover about his reservation when he arrives at the Enchanted Hunters Inn in Part 1, Chapter 27?
7. How does H.H. describe his relationship with Annabel in Part 1, Chapters 2-4? What impact did this relationship have on the protagonist?
8. How would you characterize H.H. as narrator of the story, based on his language style in Part 1, Chapters 1-6?
9. How does H.H. describe his experience with a young French prostitute in Part 1, Chapter 6?
10. How does H.H. describe his first months in North America in Part 1, Chapter 9? Where does he live and work?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)