|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the maid at Charlotte Haze’s home in Part 1, Chapter 10?
2. Of his new wife Charlotte, the narrator states in Part 1, Chapter 18, “I discovered that although she could not control her heart or her cries, she was a woman of” what?
3. What was the name of H.H.’s aunt who served as a kind of governess and housekeeper to him?
4. In what year did H.H.’s father send him to a lycée in Lyon?
5. The narrator claims in Part 1, Chapter 11 that the “median age of pubescence for girls has been found to be thirteen years and nine months in New York and” what city?
(d) “San Francisco.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Charlotte “mapped out” for Lolita to attend college in Part 1, Chapter 20?
2. The narrator states in Part 1, Chapter 31, “The stipulation of the Roman law, according to which a girl may marry at twelve, was adopted by” what?
3. The narrator says in Part 1, Chapter 2 that his mother was an English girl and the daughter of what alpinist?
4. Where does H.H. say Valeria moved with her lover and took part in experiments by an American ethnologist?
5. How many years her senior does Charlotte Haze say her late husband was in Part 1, Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does H.H. discover outside after receiving Leslie Tomson’s phone call in Part 1, Chapter 22?
2. How does H.H. respond to Charlotte’s suggestion of going to England in Part 1, Chapter 21?
3. How does H.H. describe his dinner with Charlotte Haze in Part 1, Chapter 14?
4. What solidifies H.H.’s intentions regarding Charlotte and Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 17? What action does he take?
5. How does H.H. characterize his domestic life with Charlotte after marriage in Part 1, Chapter 18?
6. How does H.H. describe his suppression of his lust for young girls in Part 1, Chapter 5?
7. How does H.H.’s sexual experience with Lolita progress in Part 1, Chapter 13?
8. What are H.H.’s intentions and concerns as he leaves Ramsdale in Part 1, Chapter 24?
9. How does H.H. succeed in drugging Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 27?
10. How does H.H. describe his relationship with Annabel in Part 1, Chapters 2-4? What impact did this relationship have on the protagonist?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)