|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator of the novel says that he was born in what year in Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. What was the maiden name of Annabel’s mother?
(a) Mona Dahl.
(b) Ann Lore.
(c) Mary Rose Hamilton.
(d) Vanessa van Ness.
3. H.H. tells Lolita that her mother is in a hospital near what town in Part 1, Chapter 27?
4. The narrator states in Part 1, Chapter 1, “You can always count on a murderer for” what?
(a) “A turn of matching turns.”
(b) “A silent, wicked lie.”
(c) “A solid alibi.”
(d) “A fancy prose style.”
5. With whom did Lolita have her first heterosexual experience?
(a) John Galsworthy.
(b) Charlie Holmes.
(c) John Farlow.
(d) Gustove Trapp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does H.H. pour for Charlotte because she “could never resist” it, after her confrontation with him in Part 1, Chapter 22?
2. Where does the narrator say Mrs. Phalli’s sister taught in Part 1, Chapter 20?
3. Each of the cabins at Lolita’s summer camp is describe as being dedicated to what in Part 1, Chapter 27?
4. Charlotte Haze is described by the narrator in Part 1, Chapter 10 as having “quite simple but not unattractive features of a type that may be defined as a weak solution of” whom?
5. How many years her senior does Charlotte Haze say her late husband was in Part 1, Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does H.H. discover about his reservation when he arrives at the Enchanted Hunters Inn in Part 1, Chapter 27?
2. What preparations does H.H. make toward furthering his agenda with Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 25?
3. How does H.H. describe his young adulthood in Part 1, Chapter 5? How does he define “nymphets” in this chapter?
4. How is H.H.’s second marriage and wedding night described in Part 1, Chapter 18?
5. How does H.H. describe his first months in North America in Part 1, Chapter 9? Where does he live and work?
6. What solidifies H.H.’s intentions regarding Charlotte and Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 17? What action does he take?
7. How does H.H. characterize his domestic life with Charlotte after marriage in Part 1, Chapter 18?
8. What conversation do H.H. and Lolita have regarding her mother when he arrives at camp in Part 1, Chapter 27?
9. What written work does H.H. present in Part 1, Chapter 11? What is revealed through this text?
10. How does H.H. describe his relationship with Annabel in Part 1, Chapters 2-4? What impact did this relationship have on the protagonist?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)