|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Lolita have her first heterosexual experience?
(a) Gustove Trapp.
(b) Charlie Holmes.
(c) John Galsworthy.
(d) John Farlow.
2. Where does the narrator say his father owned a luxurious hotel in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(d) The Riviera.
3. To what doctor does H.H. go to obtain sleeping medication in Part 1, Chapter 22?
(a) Dr. Quilty.
(b) Dr. Blue.
(c) Dr. Tristramson.
(d) Dr. Byron.
4. Of his wife Charlotte, H.H. says in Part 1, Chapter 18, “the only couple with whom she had relations of real cordiality, devoid of any arriõre-pensèe or practical foresight, were” with what couple that had just returned from Chile?
(a) The Hamiltons.
(b) The Galsworthys.
(c) The Farlows.
(d) The Chapmans.
5. In the final line of Part 1, Chapter 1, the narrator addresses the “ladies and gentlemen of the jury,” saying “Look at this tangle of” what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What had H.H. first planned to take a degree in before he switched to English literature?
2. The hotel called Enchanted Hunters is located how far from Lolita’s summer camp in Part 1, Chapter 25?
3. The narrator of the novel says that he was born in what year in Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. What is the name of Mrs. Chatfield’s daughter that is going to a summer camp in Part 1, Chapter 14?
5. How old does H.H. refer to “his daughter” at the hotel in Part 1, Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H.H. respond to Charlotte’s suggestion of going to England in Part 1, Chapter 21?
2. What are H.H.’s intentions and concerns as he leaves Ramsdale in Part 1, Chapter 24?
3. What events lead to H.H. and Lolita being alone together in the house in Part 1, Chapter 13? How does he describe their meeting in the house?
4. How is H.H.’s second marriage and wedding night described in Part 1, Chapter 18?
5. What solidifies H.H.’s intentions regarding Charlotte and Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 17? What action does he take?
6. How does H.H. describe his experience with a young French prostitute in Part 1, Chapter 6?
7. What does H.H. discover outside after receiving Leslie Tomson’s phone call in Part 1, Chapter 22?
8. How would you characterize H.H. as narrator of the story, based on his language style in Part 1, Chapters 1-6?
9. How does H.H. describe his suppression of his lust for young girls in Part 1, Chapter 5?
10. Where does H.H. first catch sight of Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 10? What are his impressions of the girl?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)