|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lolita shows H.H. at picture from a magazine in Part 1, Chapter 13. In the picture, a surrealist painter is relaxing on a beach near a plaster replica of what work of art?
(b) The Venus de Milo.
(c) The Great Sphinx.
(d) The Moai.
2. Where does H.H. say Valeria moved with her lover and took part in experiments by an American ethnologist?
3. How does H.H. remove a speck from Lolita’s eye in Part 1, Chapter 11?
(a) He pinches it with his fingers.
(b) He blows on it.
(c) He licks it out.
(d) With a piece of tape.
4. Charlotte Haze says of her daughter in Part 1, Chapter 15 that she sees her as “a sturdy, healthy, but decidedly homely kid,” whereas Lolita sees herself as what?
(a) A visionary.
(b) A nymphet.
(c) A rebel.
(d) A starlet.
5. Where does the narrator say Mrs. Phalli’s sister taught in Part 1, Chapter 20?
(a) St. Joseph's.
(b) St. Edwards.
(c) St. Mark's.
(d) St. Algebra.
6. H.H. refers to himself as “a brand-new American citizen of” what origin in Part 1, Chapter 25?
(a) “Exceptional Mediterranean origin.”
(b) “Aristocratic origin.”
(c) “Obscure European origin.”
(d) “Frigid Canadian origin.”
7. With whom did Lolita have her first heterosexual experience?
(a) Gustove Trapp.
(b) Charlie Holmes.
(c) John Farlow.
(d) John Galsworthy.
8. Of his experience with Lolita earlier in the morning, the narrator says in Part 1, Chapter 14, “I felt proud of myself. I had stolen the honey of a spasm without impairing the morals of” what?
(a) “An innocent.”
(b) “A virgin.”
(c) “A minor.”
(d) “A child.”
9. Valeria tells H.H. that she has another man in her life who is an ex-colonel from where?
10. What kind of art does Valeria produce?
(a) Classical sculpture.
(b) Art deco furniture.
(c) Cubist paintings.
(d) Realist paintings.
11. The narrator asserts in Part 1, Chapter 5 that “Dante fell madly in love with Beatrice when she was” how old?
12. In what year did H.H.’s father send him to a lycée in Lyon?
13. Where did Annabel die?
14. What couple in H.H. and Charlotte’s neighborhood has a “hysterical setter” that frequently chases cars?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Junk.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Fabian.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Darkbloom.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Schiller.
15. The narrator describes Lolita as standing how tall “in one sock” in Part 1, Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is H.H. unable to stay at the McCoos’ home in Part 1, Chapter 10?
2. Of Lolita, the narrator says in Part 1, Chapter 29, “Her kiss, to my delirious embarrassment, had some rather comical refinements of flutter and probe which made me conclude she had been coached at an early age by” what?
3. What does H.H. describe Lolita’s weight as being when he is purchasing new clothes for her in Part 1, Chapter 25?
4. What is the name of Mrs. Chatfield’s daughter that is going to a summer camp in Part 1, Chapter 14?
5. The narrator describes the “Time” in his scenario with Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 13 as being in what month?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)