|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator claims in Part 1, Chapter 11 that the “median age of pubescence for girls has been found to be thirteen years and nine months in New York and” what city?
(c) “San Francisco.”
2. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 22, the narrator states, “Remarkable how difficult it is to conceal things--especially when one's wife keeps” what?
(a) “Watch over everything.”
(b) “Denying herself sleep.”
(c) “Monkeying with the furniture.”
(d) “Cleaning every corner of the house.”
3. The accident that killed Charlotte has only been reported in what newspaper, according to the narrator in Part 1, Chapter 25?
(a) The Briceland Gazette.
(b) The Lepingville Harold.
(c) The Beardsley Tribune.
(d) The Ramsdale Journal.
4. The narrator asserts in Part 1, Chapter 5 that “Dante fell madly in love with Beatrice when she was” how old?
5. The hotel called Enchanted Hunters is located how far from Lolita’s summer camp in Part 1, Chapter 25?
(a) A 4-hour drive.
(b) A 1-hour drive.
(c) A 7-hour drive.
(d) A 5-hour drive.
6. Where does the narrator say Mrs. Phalli’s sister taught in Part 1, Chapter 20?
(a) St. Algebra.
(b) St. Mark's.
(c) St. Edwards.
(d) St. Joseph's.
7. Where does the narrator say he loved “a certain initial girl-child” prior to Lolita in Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) “A princedom by the sea.”
(b) “On a magical mountaintop.”
(c) “In a stagnant swamp.”
(d) “Behind a famous museum.”
8. Because the picnic is postponed, Lolita refuses to go where with her mother in Part 1, Chapter 13?
(a) To the grocery store.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To the shoe store.
(d) To church.
9. What kind of art does Valeria produce?
(a) Realist paintings.
(b) Cubist paintings.
(c) Classical sculpture.
(d) Art deco furniture.
10. What does Lolita’s report of behavior in July at the camp say in Part 1, Chapter 27?
(a) “Poor to fair; skilled at archery and volleyball.”
(b) “Fair to good; keen on swimming and boating.”
(c) “Good to excellent; skilled at golf and reading.”
(d) “Fair to middling; poor at communication.”
11. Lolita tells H.H. in Part 1, Chapter 27 that when her mother discovers they slept in one room, “she’ll divorce you and” do what to Lolita?
(a) Disown her.
(b) Slap her.
(c) Scream at her.
(d) Strangle her.
12. Valeria tells H.H. that she has another man in her life who is an ex-colonel from where?
13. Of his new wife Charlotte, the narrator states in Part 1, Chapter 18, “I discovered that although she could not control her heart or her cries, she was a woman of” what?
14. Charlotte Haze is described by the narrator in Part 1, Chapter 10 as having “quite simple but not unattractive features of a type that may be defined as a weak solution of” whom?
(a) Katharine Hepburn.
(b) Marlene Dietrich.
(c) Betty Grable.
(d) Marilyn Monroe.
15. What does H.H. describe Lolita’s weight as being when he is purchasing new clothes for her in Part 1, Chapter 25?
(a) 55 pounds.
(b) 60 pounds.
(c) 78 pounds.
(d) 71 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charlotte Haze says of her daughter in Part 1, Chapter 15 that she sees her as “a sturdy, healthy, but decidedly homely kid,” whereas Lolita sees herself as what?
2. What couple in H.H. and Charlotte’s neighborhood has a “hysterical setter” that frequently chases cars?
3. How old was H.H. when his mother died?
4. How old does H.H. refer to “his daughter” at the hotel in Part 1, Chapter 27?
5. H.H. learns at the hotel that because of a religious convention and flower show, they were unable to hold his room past what time in Part 1, Chapter 27?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)