Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruby discover when she touches Nate?
2. What does Ruby notice Gervais doing at lunch?
3. Where is Cora when she invites Ruby to join her?
4. What does Ruby want to tell Nate when it's almost Valentine's Day?
5. Why does Ruby decide to walk to Marshall's place?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Lock and Key. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Dessen chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Dessen chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Dessen's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Dessen use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
After Ruby discovers that Nate is being abused, she is more observant to the signs of abuse. Nate is determined to put on a brave outward face. Nate is nearly an adult and he's athletic. He could fight back but doesn't, and he is determined that no one know about the abuse. This is typical of an abusive relationship. Nate has a sweatshirt of his own with "U Swim" on it, apparently a sweatshirt from the University Swim Team. He tells Ruby the words are his motto and Ruby says she doesn't understand. Nate says the alternative is "U Sink."
1. Discuss, in details, how you think Nate's abuse has helped shape him to be the person he is. Use examples from Lock and Key and your own life to support your reasoning.
2. Discuss reasons you think Nate wants to keep his abuse a secret and what you would say to him if he were your friend. Use examples from Lock and Key and your own life to support your reasoning.
3. Discuss what you think Nate means, literally and symbolically with his sweatshirt. Use examples from Lock and Key and your own life to support your reasoning.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)