|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nate say about what happens between him and his dad?
2. What does Ruby discover when she touches Nate?
3. What photos are on the wall of the apartment where they deliver the duvet cover?
4. What happens when Ruby stops at Nate's house?
5. What is Cora fearful of as Thanksgiving approaches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ruby gets back to Cora and Jaime's house and is obviously impaired?
2. What does Ruby learn Harriet has done when Ruby arrives at the kiosk the Friday after Thanksgiving?
3. Where does Ruby visit Olivia and why is Olivia there?
4. Who finds Ruby in the clearing and what does he do and say?
5. What do Cora and Ruby talk about the next morning after Ruby's drunken episode?
6. What does Ruby overhear when she goes to the Cross house for the pies?
7. What does Harriet offer Ruby and why does she decline the offer?
8. For what does Ruby thank Olivia and what is Olivia's reply?
9. Why is Cora nervous about Thanksgiving and where does Ruby find Cora on the day?
10. What does Cora say about leaving Ruby when Ruby was young and how does Ruby respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Lock and Key.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Lock and Key. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Lock and Key. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Lock and Key? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Lock and Key including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Lock and Key and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Lock and Key. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of family in Lock and Key. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to have problems in their families? What kind of problems?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of addiction in Lock and Key. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to have problems because of addiction in others? What kind of problems?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)