|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cora defend herself about the wedding?
(a) That Ruby was into drugs then.
(b) She does not defend herself.
(c) That Ruby did not answer Cora's messages.
(d) That Cora told their mother.
2. What does Ruby think when Jaime picks her up at school one afternoon?
(a) That he is going to tell her she has to leave.
(b) That he's learned about her visits to Marshall.
(c) That something is wrong with Cora.
(d) That something is wrong with her mother.
3. What does Cora say they will revisit after the Christmas holidays?
(a) Getting a car.
(b) Finding their mother.
(c) Ruby's job.
(d) Seeing Marshall.
4. What is one thing Ruby learns about Harriet as Harriet is training Ruby?
(a) Harriet is very controlling.
(b) Harriet is kind.
(c) Harriet likes Nate.
(d) Harriet does not take her job too seriously.
5. Who is Olivia?
(a) Cora's best friend.
(b) The only student Ruby has known before in her other high school.
(c) A black girl sitting next to Ruby in class.
(d) The biology teacher.
6. What does Ruby discover Nate did?
(a) Made her a Christmas present.
(b) Left home.
(c) Bought her a Christmas present.
(d) Quit the swim team.
7. What does Ruby point out to Harriett one day?
(a) That Reggie likes Harriett.
(b) That Reggie works hard and is always cheerful.
(c) That she needs to take a day off now and again.
(d) That Reggie is a nice fellow.
8. How much older is Cora than Ruby?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 7 years.
(d) 13 years.
9. How does Ruby react to Gervais' comment on the second day?
(a) She pretends not to hear him.
(b) She tells him it looks better on her than it would on him.
(c) She blushes, aware of Nate looking at her.
(d) She stares at him in silence.
10. What does Ruby notice about Harriett as Ruby continues to work?
(a) Harriett keeps a written log of all transactions.
(b) Harriett is seldom able to actually leave the kiosk while Ruby is working.
(c) Harritt knows almost everyone in the mall.
(d) Harriett eats her lunch within a few feet of the kiosk every day.
11. Where does Gervais attend school in the afternoons?
(a) A special needs school.
(b) His regular middle school.
(d) The university.
12. What has Jaime bought for Roscoe?
(a) A Santa collar.
(b) A new, softer bed.
(c) A red bow.
(d) A huge ham bone.
13. What is Ruby's first class?
(c) Life Science.
14. What does Ruby realize about a habit in the morning going into the school?
(a) Ruby is no longer smoking pot before going into the school.
(b) Ruby allows Nate to walk into the building with her.
(c) Ruby has started carrying a cup coffee in the morning to school.
(d) Ruby has started letting Gervaise walk with her into the building.
15. Who does Ruby first call at a convenience store after class?
(c) No one.
(d) Her neighbor from the other house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ruby ride with Nate to school on Monday morning?
2. What does Olivia share with Ruby?
3. What falls out of Ruby's dress pocket when she is dressing at Marshall's house?
4. What has Ruby given up on about two weeks after she's been at Perkins Day?
5. What excuse do the Honeycutts use to check out Ruby's home?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)