• Ruby is being shown around her sister's house. Her sister has taken her in when their mother deserted Ruby.
• After moving often, Ruby and her mother finally settled in a rundown house although her mother is often gone.
• The Honeycutts, their landlords, realize after her mother has been gone two months that Ruby is living alone.
• When a social worker picks Ruby up the girl admits she does not know where her mother is.
• Ruby wants to return to her house. She has plans to run away as soon as Jamie and Cora are in bed.
• Jamie says he will register Ruby at Perkins school in the morning. Ruby wants to go to her old school.
• As Ruby is leaving that night she realizes Jamie is not in bed but walking the dog, Roscoe. She runs to the back yard.
• She tosses her bag of clothes over...
This section contains 2,795 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)