|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before the other person is released will Hugo be released?
2. Who do Eric and Bill rescue?
3. Why is the person in the basement about to waken?
4. Why does Sookie return home alone?
5. Who is waiting for Sookie at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Godfrey tell Sookie and what does she say to him about the ceremony the next day?
2. Why does Sookie contact Bill and how does she do it?
3. What does Sookie do after she sees Hugo and Isabel's punishment?
4. What does Hugo tell Sookie about his involvement in this whole affair?
5. How does Sookie and the others feel about Hugo and Isabel's punishment?
6. Who invites Sookie to the sex club and who does she invite to go with her?
7. What does Sarah do with Sookie and Hugo?
8. How are Hugo and Isabel punished?
9. What happens to Sookie when she is almost out of the church?
10. What does Eric talk Sookie into and what does she see Bill doing? How does she react to Bill's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Living Dead in Dallas.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Living Dead in Dallas. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Living Dead in Dallas. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Living Dead in Dallas belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to fantasy.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre.
3. Discuss two reasons why it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
4. Discuss what your favorite genre is; give several examples and explain what you enjoy about books in that genre.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Living Dead in Dallas, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)