|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to go with Sookie the next day?
2. How did Lafayette die?
3. What does Sookie realize about the bellhop?
4. Who ministers to Sookie where Bill takes her?
5. How long has Sookie known Andy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sookie get for her work the day after meeting with Stan?
2. Why is Sookie waiting at the airport in Dallas and at what Airlines is she waiting?
3. Who comes to Sookie's work, what do they do, and what does she recall?
4. What does Sookie find when she comes to work the day after her encounter with Andy?
5. Who do Bill and Sookie think might have kidnapped Farrell?
6. Who does Sookie encounter inside the Fellowship Church?
7. What has happened recently in the world concerning vampires?
8. To what hotel do Sookie and Bill go and what does Sookie realize about the bellboy?
9. Where is Sookie working and what happens when Andy comes there? What does Sookie do about Andy?
10. What does Sookie do for a living and what special ability does she have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Living Dead in Dallas belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to fantasy.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre.
3. Discuss two reasons why it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
4. Discuss what your favorite genre is; give several examples and explain what you enjoy about books in that genre.
Essay Topic 2
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or technology that is not a part of the "real" world. In the case of Living Dead in Dallas, much of the setting is familiar to the reader, though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of Sookie's world that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in Sookie's world. Define the words as used in in Sookie's world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of Living Dead in Dallas. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in Living Dead in Dallas? What word(s)?
3. Were there any words you never really understood from Living Dead in Dallas? Which ones?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Living Dead in Dallas. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Living Dead in Dallas. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? Why do you think Godfrey sacrifices himself?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Living Dead in Dallas seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems to enjoy killing? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)