|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Sookie wake up the day after the meeting at Stan's?
2. What does Sookie do about Andy?
3. What is the name of the airline that specializes in vampire travel?
4. What do Hugo and Sookie do before they arrive at their destination?
5. Why do Bill, Sookie and Stan think Farrell might have been kidnapped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sookie suggest about a leak in information and how does she deal with it?
2. What is suggested as a possible reason behind Farrell's kidnapping and what does Stan wonder about the person who accosted her at the airport?
3. What has happened recently in the world concerning vampires?
4. What does Sookie see in Bethany's mind?
5. What does Sookie do for a living and what special ability does she have?
6. Where does Eric want Sookie to go and what are her conditions to agree?
7. What does Sookie hear on the news while she waits for a car at the hotel? What does she think about the news?
8. What does Sookie get for her work the day after meeting with Stan?
9. Who accosts Sookie while she's waiting at the airport and how does she deal with him?
10. Who do Bill and Sookie think might have kidnapped Farrell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in many fantasy novels, magic is an inherent part of a few of the characters and can be wielded by other characters, though not as an inherent aspect of their nature. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of magic in Living Dead in Dallas. Who possesses magic as an inherent aspect of their nature? Who can wield magic through the use of a tool? What is the difference between the two types of magical usage? Is one more powerful than the other?
2. Why do you think magic exists in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" have there be no magic as a part of the storyline? Why or why not.
3. Which type of magic would you rather possess--that of Sookie's or the magic of Sam Merlotte? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Living Dead in Dallas.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Living Dead in Dallas. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Living Dead in Dallas. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Living Dead in Dallas. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Living Dead in Dallas. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? Why do you think Godfrey sacrifices himself?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Living Dead in Dallas seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems to enjoy killing? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)