|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where are Sookie and Bill driven from the hotel?
2. What kind of a supernatural being is Bill?
3. What does Stan want Sookie to do?
4. What is the name of the airline that specializes in vampire travel?
5. Who does Sookie say has to go with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to Sookie's work, what do they do, and what does she recall?
2. Why does Portia come to the bar to see Sookie and why does Sookie agree with Portia?
3. What does Sookie learn about Lafayette's death?
4. Where is Sookie working and what happens when Andy comes there? What does Sookie do about Andy?
5. What does Sookie get for her work the day after meeting with Stan?
6. What is suggested as a possible reason behind Farrell's kidnapping and what does Stan wonder about the person who accosted her at the airport?
7. What has happened recently in the world concerning vampires?
8. What does Sookie hear on the news while she waits for a car at the hotel? What does she think about the news?
9. What does Sookie do when she wakes from her injuries and what is she told?
10. What was the woman who hurt Sookie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sookie Stackhouse has strong telepathic abilities that enable her to hear the thoughts of other humans. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Sookie prefers to have a vampire for a boyfriend because she cannot hear the thoughts of vampires? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. If you had Sookie's abilities describe at least three types of work you would do with that ability.
3. If you had a choice to have Sookie's ability or not have it which would you chose? Why? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Living Dead in Dallas and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Living Dead in Dallas is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
As in many fantasy novels, magic is an inherent part of a few of the characters and can be wielded by other characters, though not as an inherent aspect of their nature. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of magic in Living Dead in Dallas. Who possesses magic as an inherent aspect of their nature? Who can wield magic through the use of a tool? What is the difference between the two types of magical usage? Is one more powerful than the other?
2. Why do you think magic exists in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" have there be no magic as a part of the storyline? Why or why not.
3. Which type of magic would you rather possess--that of Sookie's or the magic of Sam Merlotte? Explain your answer.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)