Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attempts to force Sookie into the terminal?
2. How did Lafayette die?
3. What does Portia ask Sookie?
4. Who is Sarah Newlin?
5. What does the group decide Sookie will do the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sookie get for her work the day after meeting with Stan?
2. Where does Eric want Sookie to go and what are her conditions to agree?
3. What does Sookie do for a living and what special ability does she have?
4. What is suggested as a possible reason behind Farrell's kidnapping and what does Stan wonder about the person who accosted her at the airport?
5. In what form does Sam arrive at the sex club and who is with him?
6. What does Sookie hear on the news while she waits for a car at the hotel? What does she think about the news?
7. What has happened recently in the world concerning vampires?
8. What does Bill discover about Portia's grandmother and what does he do about it?
9. Where is Sookie working and what happens when Andy comes there? What does Sookie do about Andy?
10. How long do Sookie and Eric stay in the sex club room, what does she discover and what do they do after she finds out his information?
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Living Dead in Dallas. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Living Dead in Dallas. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? Why do you think Godfrey sacrifices himself?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Living Dead in Dallas seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems to enjoy killing? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Some aspects of the metaphysical is in every Sookie Stackhouse book. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term "metaphysical."
2. Discuss what elements of the metaphysical appear in the Sookie Stackhouse books, e. g.: What elements of Sookie Stackhouse seem outside the five senses? Give examples. What things that happen cannot be proved by normal scientific methods?
3. What challenges are there in reading a novel that is based in metaphysics?
Living Dead in Dallas belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to fantasy.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre.
3. Discuss two reasons why it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
4. Discuss what your favorite genre is; give several examples and explain what you enjoy about books in that genre.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)